Revo 3.3 eating glow plugs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosmosGoat

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So i had the revo tuned very well and it was running great. Now that the weather is starting to turn i got it out and was trying to adjust the tune for the cooler air. Well i dont know what I'm doing wrong but i just can't get it right. Its idling real high, running a little warm, about 310 on the high side, and its eating glow plugs. I have tried both the high speed and low. How much should i have to adjust the setting for the cooler weather? I am talking about 50 deg verses 80+.

You have been twisting both needles, so I don't know where you are right now, but it's obvious you had it set too lean to reach those temps. Very likely the LSN. That would also account for eating the plugs.

I was only adjusting one at a time. I think i turned the LSN about 1/4 out and the high speed about the same. Should i start with the LSN and back it out another 1/4 and go from there?

There was still a smoke trail so i thought it was ok but ill try richening the mixture first.

Last edited:
The two needles serve two different purposes. The LSN is for the idle, combined with the idle screw, and the takeoff from a dead stop up to about 1/3 throttle. The HSN is for WOT.
Never make adjustments till the engine is up to temp, then tune the LSN till your takeoff is good, the idle is good, and the temp is good. Then, you can start tweaking the HSN for WOT performance. If your temp gets too high and performance suffers when you richen the HSN, you'll need to compensate by richening the LSN.

Thanks for the advice Rolex. I adjusted the LS by about 3/4 turn and the HS by about 1/2 and the truck is running great. Had to make a few more slight adjustments to the HS today as it was even colder. The temp is good on the head. It might be a bit rich down low as it seems to load up on fuel a little but its safe and should work well this winter.

when I get into a position with lost knowledge of where I am at via the tune, I screw the hsn all the way in and unscrew it out 3.5 turns, the lsn I screw it all the way in and bring it out 1.5-1.7 turns out, I eyeball the carb and I want it about 1/16" open. This is an almost perfect setup but just a very small amount of tweaking is needed depending on outside temps. When you start it plug up the exhaust with your finger and watch the fuel flow into the carb plus 1.5 seconds of extra holding after it reaches the carb. You will hear a fate chugging noise like the motor is trying to start then release the exhaust and attempt to start. I have very good luck doing it this way and others have their way, when you find yours this problem will be almost nonexistence.

Back