Revo 3.3 and spektrum DX 3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jknight118

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I ordered a spektrum DX 3 radio for my revo 3.3. I was told that by traxxas that the radio will work but i will lose my reverse gear. I am extremely new to rc nitro, so i was wondering if this is true? Does anyone out there know if there is a work around so that i would not lose my reverse gear. I can barely control the truck so for me the reverse gear is essential. Appreciate any help or input on this. :ponder2: :ponder2: :ponder2:

Hmm now that I think about it they are right as you lose the opti drive lash up to the receiver....thus losing reverse.

Some of you gurus correct me here if I am wrong....or if there is a mod to keep reverse.

BTW you will love the Spektrum.....I run it with all three of my REVOS. You will eventually want to do a Forward only conversion or the Center diff upgrade....both of which cause you to lose reverse anyhow......eventually you learn to drive without it......but I know how you feel now...it is necessary to get out of jams.....;)

TalonOne

revo 3.3

Hmm now that I think about it they are right as you lose the opti drive lash up to the receiver....thus losing reverse.

Some of you gurus correct me here if I am wrong....or if there is a mod to keep reverse.

BTW you will love the Spektrum.....I run it with all three of my REVOS. You will eventually want to do a Forward only conversion or the Center diff upgrade....both of which cause you to lose reverse anyhow......eventually you learn to drive without it......but I know how you feel now...it is necessary to get out of jams.....;)

TalonOne

what is the center diff upgrade? Does it give the truck more power? I am only asking because the truck is going into the shop tomorrow and if the center diff upgrade will help i will have it all done while it is in the shop

The center diff conversion doesn't give more power but it does help with better control.

35 ish for the center diff.............you should learn to wrench your own rigs....or you will spend the cost of the truck and then some having others fix it for you.....just my 2 cents....plus that is half the fun....!!!!

35 ish for the center diff.............you should learn to wrench your own rigs....or you will spend the cost of the truck and then some having others fix it for you.....just my 2 cents....plus that is half the fun....!!!!
i COMPLETELY agree its one of my favorite parts is working on them!!

I think i've rebuilt my entire Revo twice now. Sorry for off topic, it's the truth!

(Never rebuild diff's or transmissions)

Get in there and "do a diff" there erix920....they are cool....but messy to work with....helps you understand the power to ground transfer.....

Might also want to put the rear brake conversion on at the same time. It's about $20. I did both myself as the first upgrade I did myself on my 3.3.

If you have a dx3 then no you will not lose reverse all you lose is the opti drive but you dont lose reverse all you do is plug the reverse servo into the
3rd channel and boom you have reverse. the only big thing is you can shift while it is moving thus you will lose reverse after a couple hard shifts. Hope this helps you guys out.

Hi.just happened to find this thread.I'm also having problem with my spektrum DX3.0 and reverse servo in my revo3.3.just can't get it to work!so we dont need to plug something in the opti drive?ill try it!anyway,can you give me a quick set up or guide on how to program my spektrum radio 3rd channel for the reverse servo and how to use it?Any help from you,ill appreciate it very much.Thanks!

As long as you don't shift gears when the truck is moving or when your applying the throttle, optidrive can be removed entirely. It's a "safety" feature. Not a necessity. It's purpose is to not allow you to shift if the trans is in motion.

Setting up the DX3 may be a bit annoying though as it's 3rd channel switch is a 3 position switch that recenters itself. So you need to set it up so that "center" is forward and when you move the switch for reverse, you have to hold it in reverse with your thumb/finger until your ready to go forward.

I had set one up for a buddy on an LST2. That's the issue I was having with his. After a few weeks, he ditched reverse anyway...

I run a DX3 with my tmaxx 3.3 no problem. I keep reverse, optidrive and everything.

With some of those upgrades some of you are talking about all require a forward only conversion, center diff, front/rear brake, he is looking to keep his reverse. I also have heard that after a bit the opti. drive can cause you problems down the road, one is killing your battery faster, and shifting into reverse without even shafting it into reverse. I think that as you drive and get to know your truck you won't even need reverse, just my opion though

I know its a no-no, but I used reverse to practice with on the race track, and nobody said anything. I did not try to race with it as that would be trouble.

That is one of the rules of racing too, can not use reverse during a race, and most racers pull out reverse for weight

I ordered a spektrum DX 3 radio for my revo 3.3. I was told that by traxxas that the radio will work but i will lose my reverse gear. I am extremely new to rc nitro, so i was wondering if this is true? Does anyone out there know if there is a work around so that i would not lose my reverse gear. I can barely control the truck so for me the reverse gear is essential. Appreciate any help or input on this. :ponder2: :ponder2: :ponder2:

I too have a DX3.0 and I tried it out a few days ago. You don't lose reverse, but you do have to enable the Aux channel on the DX3 for that to occur. Your manual should tell you how to do it. Tried it out and all works well (except I have to adjust as it seems to want to put the vehicle in reverse & no throttle when it loses comm with the DX 3)

Back