Restoration of my 20 Year Old Team Associated Monster GT

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saril

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Time to clean up the rust and get running again. Will post progress as I move forward.

MGT 1.jpg

MGT 2.jpg

MGT 6.jpg
MGT 7.jpg
MGT 9.jpg

Attachments

• MGT 8.jpg
    MGT 8.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Ha. Steel looks like mine does after a while in this Houston humidity. Black oxide coating isn't what it used to be. Still, not too bad for twenty years. She'll clean up well and be ready for the prom in no time. Anxious to see her all cleaned up again. Good luck and cheers. 'AC'

Thanks all. The clean up is not going well so I decided to try and replace what I can, especially screws. Amazon has a lot of nice M3 kits that are on the way! The soaking in baking soda, vinegar, PB Blaster rust, etc., gets a lot off but still looks bad - even shock springs are not coming clean. Going to soak them in battery acid - lol!

Parts are rolling in and progress is being made. My pull start has been broken for years and I never could fix. Both the string and spring were broke. Well, after 3 hours, I finally got it fix - oh the horror!

pull start.jpg

pull st fixed.jpg

Forgot to mention - I completely disassembled and put parts in bags to keep organized. The transmission is now complete with new parts - thanks eBay!

apart in bags.jpg

trans new parts.jpg

Diffs empty - complete rebuild.

Diff 1.jpg

Diff 2.jpg

Diff 3.jpg

Last edited:
Getting close to the finish line! Shocks rebuilt, new hardware, screws, etc. Going to try and start engine as soon as i get some fuel.

shocks rebuilt.jpg

Diffs installed.jpg

Getting close 1.jpg

Getting close 2.jpg

Getting close 3.jpg

I also converted electronics to 2.4G using the Flysky GT5. The Flysky receiver fit nicely, even with a surge capacitor attached. I now have my XMAXX, Losi SCT, and this MGT on a single transmitter. It works really well and I love the being able to tweak settings with visual feedback.

Flysky 2.4G.jpg

Flysky rec.jpg

Last edited:
Restoration complete! Went with titanium balls for the CVD's, new bearings, new screws, shocks and diffs rebuilt, a few new aluminum parts, etc.
Done 2.jpg

Done 1.jpg

Done 5.jpg

Thanks all for the nice comments - much appreciated. I was worried about the engine starting up since even my bearings were rough due to rust? Any way this thing fired right up and runs great. Will post more videos.
First run!
2nd run - transmission still shifts!
Yay - reverse still works!

Last edited:
Back