Remote Start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-maxxlover14

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So to all you guys who said a remote start was a bad idea because of weight and manuvrability i have to say that i raced my truck at the track with 7 other t-maxx's jumping and rubing that I came in first place being the heaveist truck out their and I still get 45mph out of the truck. I role it flip it bash it and it goes no where and has no effect on the truck what so ever. I have had 10 gallon's through the motor with it and the motor still runs just as strong if not stroger than day one with all the weight. IT CAN BE DONE BECAUSE I HAVE DONE IT! If any one has ?'s on how to do it ask me i will tell you how.

Last edited:
Remote start isn't hard. Take a good ESC, stick it on channel 3.

Now, get an electric start like the EZ start .15 (I use this on my .28!) or maybe Acme's electric or Losi's. Traxxas's EZ Start for the 2.5 might be a problem (unless you're running a 2.5) due to the shape of the one-way bearing housing.

Now, go to Advance or AutoZone, and get a ballast resistor. The 2-pole one.

Ok, put a Dean's on the ESC's output, and on the other half of the Dean's, solder on 2 wires on each pin. 4 total.

Ok, 1 wire on each side goes to the motor. You'll have to find the right polarity to get it to spin the right way when you turn on the ESC.

On a side note, program the ESC to power the motor in one direction only. No reverse.

Now, take the other 2 wires. Put a glow-plug connector, either the blue Traxxas type, or any of the others out there, and solder it up on one of the remaining wires.

Take the last wire, put a spade connector on it, and connect this to the ballast resistor. Take another piece of wire, put a spade on it, and a loop/eye connector on the other. Bolt the eye to the engine (on the mount bolt is good) and plug the spade onto the other side of the ballast resistor.

Push the ch.3 button. Motor spins, glow glows. Push it again, and it stops.

I don't know how well this works without using a 6-cell 7.2 pack. Perhaps a LiPo would work and still fit in a battery box? but I've tried 6-cell AA (well, sub AA, really) packs and they just don't have the umph.

I installed a switch between the ESC and my RX, just spliced it into the +/- wires, and left the orange or white signal wire alone, I guess it depends on how your ESC is wired. Mine supplies power to the RX and servos.

Now, I know the EZ-start motor doesn't ground to the engine anyplace, but if you have a situation where one side of the motor is grounded to the engine, then put the ballast in-line with the glow plug, and use the side off the ESC/motor that's not grounding to the engine.

The biggest issue with the EZ-start is the motor is a bit small, and on cold days it's best if I warm the engine a bit with some hot air. A blow dryer. Or I just talk at it and it'll glow red for me in seconds ;-)

10 gallons? With a K@N? Come on man...:whhooo: No video of the race, no believe.

After my 1st set of blisters pulling, I decided it was not for me.

I have 1 pull start car, and that's my Chaos. Since it's a .08 Picco P-0 mill, it's easy enough to start.

The rest are electric, either remote or roto-starts. I hate charging batteries, but to save my fingers, you bet.

Has anyone pulled a Losi ROSS system apart to see if it'd fit on other engines yet?

I'd like to get ahold of either Acme's system, or the new Redcat that's supposed to be out soon.

Can you upload a video? next race i will get on camera. does any one like the idea or am i the only one who thinks this is cool. and that filter is amazing very easy to tune and runs alot better belive it or not.

MaxxLover....no one said it could not be done. No one knocked the effort that went in to it. However, there is no way in hell that a T-Maxx which is already an obnoxiously top heavy vehicle will handle better with an extra pound strapped to the top of it. Unless I was to see videos of your truck winning against all odds I am just going to have to call BS. Your truck runs STRONGER with the extra weight? Really? So all this money we have dumped in to carbon fiber and CNC reduced weight alloys has been wasted? I never knew heavier is better. Kid....You have proven nothing. SO video or it is all :horsecrap

who comes in first isnt just the truck, a good driver can make a pig come in first. a friend was at a race, quaffing, he took 1st in the first two heats. in the third heat he got out his elec truck. he laped the field 3 laps. then he turned the truck around and raced it backwards. then all the cry babys started crying, "he can't run backwards". the judge said "no rule ageist it". then started practicing passing going backwards

Can you upload a video? next race i will get on camera. does any one like the idea or am i the only one who thinks this is cool. and that filter is amazing very easy to tune and runs alot better belive it or not.

I'm not knockin' ya for your idea. It's your rig so you should always do what you want to it. It's all about how much you like it. To me, an on board starting system is just useless weight because my T Maxx only needs to be started once until I shut it off. That clip that's on the wand makes it hang from my pocket, nice and out of the way.:D

After my 1st set of blisters pulling, I decided it was not for me.

I have 1 pull start car, and that's my Chaos. Since it's a .08 Picco P-0 mill, it's easy enough to start.

The rest are electric, either remote or roto-starts. I hate charging batteries, but to save my fingers, you bet.

Has anyone pulled a Losi ROSS system apart to see if it'd fit on other engines yet?

I'd like to get ahold of either Acme's system, or the new Redcat that's supposed to be out soon.

I guess it's not for everyone. My fingers are like leather from my job, plus I can tell by feel if my engine has enough prime to start, so I can avoid the 100 pulls in a row all together.

I was all for the ez start and ignitor get up before I realized how easy engines start once they're tuned right. If I had a pull start, I'd slap it on. Especially when it warms up outside. Just haven't got around to getting one yet. If you need to start the engine all the time, there's definitely a problem with tune/leaks.

Well, when I flip over, and oops, left the ez-start or the igniter back at the vehicle/garage/table, it's nice to right the truck, and hit the button.

Of course, my setup is on an XTM Monster, and it weighs a ton now, and I'm not racing, but bashing.

And what I saw on the T-Maxx from the OP could be improved if he dumped the wand and changed over to a ballast resistor, and maybe a LiPo pack all ran thru an ESC. But he gets an "A" for creative solutions and not actually modifying his EZ-Start.

And yes, a properly tuned engine starts easily. I guess I'm lazy though, because the 100 or so pulls it takes me to tune the thing irritate me. ;-)

Last edited:
My handling is to bad because i have the 1.5 inch wheel extentions so i can take corners faster with out fliping it. And i do have to agree with moe7404 because its not the truck that wins its the driver driving that truck to victory. i did loose the fearst heat went to the lcq and then got lucky and won the main so i was happy even with all that weight the truck runs great its like the weight is almost not their

I usually keep my mouth shut when it comes to things of this sort, but this time.. I dont think so. 10 gallons??!! Your lucky the mill has enough compression to run. I would have to side with Joey on this. I gotta see a vid to see the proof. Yeah you can post a vid. Its called Youtube and post the link. :farting:

Well, when I flip over, and oops, left the ez-start or the igniter back at the vehicle/garage/table, it's nice to right the truck, and hit the button.

Of course, my setup is on an XTM Monster, and it weighs a ton now, and I'm not racing, but bashing.

And what I saw on the T-Maxx from the OP could be improved if he dumped the wand and changed over to a ballast resistor, and maybe a LiPo pack all ran thru an ESC. But he gets an "A" for creative solutions and not actually modifying his EZ-Start.

And yes, a properly tuned engine starts easily. I guess I'm lazy though, because the 100 or so pulls it takes me to tune the thing irritate me. ;-)

A little extra fuel line, coiled nice and neat and outta the way, gives up to 30 seconds or so to right a rolled nitro. The extra weight sure won't help it not flip either. But again, to each their own. I'm certainly not gonna say it isn't a neat idea when it's done cleanly. Like Losi did it. I'd be too embarrassed to take my body off if there was an ez start wand tie strapped to the battery box.:\

just feel like this is pointless since its nothing to run over to your rc and start it plus it look horrible with the ez-start sitting there

Back