ReKindling an Old Hobby

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racer 1966

What are we doing today?
Supporter
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
How many of you guys used to or still do build plastic model cars? I used to do lots of it but have been out of that since my first child was born. Well it looks like that's going to change now! :)
My son kept asking for a "building car" as he put it. So of course I gave in and let him pick one up for Christmas. And I also agreed to help him build it. He picked out a 1969 Z28 for his first car. We've started working on it some so I thought I'd share it here. We're going to paint it up some and make it presentable but it won't be a contest winning build. Here's couple of pics of what we've done so far,I'll update as we progress with it.

modelparts1.JPG

modelbody1.JPG

Love the color. In my early 20's I spent $100's a month on models. I miss it a lot. I got into some heavy detail stuff there for awhile too. Photo-etched parts became the norm and although I never bought an airbrush I did pretty well with Testor's bottle paint and rattle cans.

What ever became of my prized possessions--of which I had fifteen really decked out cars and most of those were large scale? My then girlfriend decided to go on a tirade and threw them in a big box and then piled every book and heavy item she could find in on top of them. They were unsalvageable.

Anyway... I too have missed the hobby. I will watch you and your son's build with joy. Perhaps it will inspire me to greatness once again.

Carry on!!!

i do a lot of models and i enjoy do that its fun an relaxing. I do about 2 to 3 models a month. hope you you guys enjoy building it with you kid. I enjoy building mine with my son.

Before I got in to RC I built many static models, I used to really enjoy building them. Who would have ever thought you would paint something green, lol. :D

Tonight we did a little more work on the car. We finished the engine assembly and installed it in the chassis,completed the interior and did a few sub assemblies like the wheels/tires and the radiator/shroud and battery to the support.

Yes,my son is doing a lot of it not me just building it for him. :yes: He painted a lot of the parts and glued them after I explained where/how they fit together.

engineinchassis.JPG

interior.JPG

Lookin' good! What a fun hobby :)

I started but never finished (big surprise huh?) a jet (F-15 I think) a few years ago. Never did get too far with it, just some of the cockpit stuff. I still have it and all the correct paints to finish it. This thread makes me want to dig it out. Maybe after I paint my stock car body..

Awesome! Brings back a very fond memory...My Dad's 69 Camaro was dark metallic green with the old "slot" cast al. wheels. I was under the hood of that thing @4 years old. Damn near failed kindergarten and 1st grade, but I could tell you what exactly everything on that car was!
I used to build lots of those Revell kits in my preteen years. Never got the hang of painting them. Had fun though.
Edit; I want to see some true Rally stripes on her!!

It's good to see the next generation being guided into a fun hobby.

When I was in my early teens, my best friend and I used to build them and actually take them to shows. I won a handful of awards and plaques. I actually ALMOST bought one the other day, just for sh@t and grins. Now I wish I would have.. :(

I'm digging this one back up. I stopped updating it simply because we stopped work on the project. My son has decided we need to finish this and thus the work has restarted. :)

Tonight,we finished installing the engine. Installed the exhaust,rear suspension and tires and wheels completing the chassis portion of the build. We also glued in the glass and tail lights before running out of time. It doesn't look like the glass is in the back but that just means we(I) did it right and didn't smear any glue on it :hehe: Hopefully we'll stay on it and complete this thing by the end this weekend.

engineinchassis.jpg

chassis-bottom.jpg

body-tail.jpg

I love plastic models, cars, trucks, planes, everything, I did a really badass 53 ford f-100 and a 68 firebird and took every bit of time to paint EVERY little detail down to the last little bit. I want to get another one sometime soon.

I have an A10 warthog somewhere around here...

I built a ton of models when i was a kid....they are all gone now (house fire way back when).
But I recently picked this one up on sale for 5 bucks...
My 4 year old got ahold my spark plug wires and lost them though!:angry:

2012-01-31111347.jpg

2012-01-31111403.jpg

2012-01-31111815.jpg

FrostY

Nice to see a thread that we are actually happy to see dragged outta the attic! I still want to get back into the hobby too! Now clean up this dust before Rolex has another fit...

I like the engine Frosty,I want the 426 Hemi version myself. Well actually I want it the most,I really want all of the engines in that series.

Back