Redcat rampage?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vector

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys, I've been doing some homework on the 1/5 scale redcat rampage/exceed hanibal/mega p5/hpi blackout. Many names same truck, it looks like a good deal, but what can be done to get more performance out of the 30cc fuelie engine, and can it be modded to get better performance? Thanks!

I wouldn't go with a Redcat. In the past, their quality has been sub-par and replacement parts are not readily available. The HPI Baja 5b or 5SC SS kits have a larger fuelie engine and a decent pipe. The Baja 5b RTR has a smaller 23cc fuelie engine that still makes good power. A decent tuned pipe will help with power as will a top end kit. King Motors or Rovan are virtual clones of the HPI and most parts will interchange. A good place to get Baja replacement or upgrade parts is Dave's Discount Motors (DDM.com). Reasonable prices and great service as well as a long list of parts is why I shop there.

The thing is a really like the look of the truck, and the baja's won't really cut it where I live, and I can import a rampage for a little more than what a savage xl costs. But, I hear what you are telling me, so either I get myslef a biiiiig nitro or I sell a kidney on the black market and buy a fg, those 1/5 rigs are hot as hell...

I've heard others talking about redcats 1/5 scales being better than their other rigs. No personal experience though. Maybe keep researching and find some reviews.

I think that Woodie has an FG and really likes it.

I took the plunge last October and I could not be happier with the baja 5sc rtr. I've only refilled the rear diff, put on a team gonads outer air filter and an outerwears pull start cover. The truck is really easy to work on and is a blast to drive. If this is your first 5th scale I would definitely recommend a rtr but a kit could be more rewarding. Rumor has it if you buy the redcat you'll be replacing the stock electronics because they're junk so add that to the purchase price. You could also buy a baja or an fg used but there's some risk involved because there's clones out there that people get and end up getting ripped off.

For used you can look on our sister forum:

http://www.largescaleforums.com/

A lot of great guys hang out there. You could probably find similar deals on used 1/5 scale that you do for the 1/8 scale and smaller here.

Thanks for all the help guys! I will go and have a look, as nitro spares this side of the earth is getting really expensive. Think 2 stroke might be better with lower running costs.

Check out RedcatRampageForum for more info, or shoot me a PM for my phone number. I am having a huge sale this week on all of the Large Scale versions.