RC Neophite Needs Advise

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copepe

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just bought my first rc boat. Albeit a Chinese product, it is of fiberglass construction and the rudder and trim tabs are stainless steel. The motor appears to be a 540 or 550 class brushed water-cooled motor. The manual is not very clear in any regard. The boat is 25".

I would like to buy a high-quality 550 class brushed motor and keep the one that came with the boat as spare, but I've found that few people carry brushed motors. I have a 7.2V 2200mAh NI MH battery and a 7.2V 4600mAh NI MH battery.

Where can I find such a motor? Please keep in mind that I'm looking for speed.

Thank you.

we probably need some more info on the throttle control or ESC that you will be using. some of these have a limit to the motors they will handle. also some info on the motor you are replacing, and maybe a little on the boat itself. is it direct drive, gearbox, etc.

we probably need some more info on the throttle control or ESC that you will be using. some of these have a limit to the motors they will handle. also some info on the motor you are replacing, and maybe a little on the boat itself. is it direct drive, gearbox, etc.

Beason, the ESC that came with the boat is "anonymous". The current motor is "suppossed" to be a 550 brushed, but nothing on it confirms it. However, it is pretty fast.

The boat is direct drive with a shaft through the bottom of the transom ending in a surface piercing propeller.

Although my boat came from Hobbytron.com, Bananahobby.com has detailed pictures of it under the Racing Boats category and it is called Sea Shark something or other.

you may have to replace both the esc and the motor. you put a motor in there that is to "hot" and you will destroy the ESC. with no markings, we dont know what the limit is for the ESC.

you may have to replace both the esc and the motor. you put a motor in there that is to "hot" and you will destroy the ESC. with no markings, we dont know what the limit is for the ESC.

Wouldn't it then behoove me to replace the motor and ESC with a brushless setup? At least there is a plethora of marine brushless motors and it will make getting replacements that much easier. Do you agree?

u might be able to use the traxxas 550 motor out of the villain

Go brushless. Faster, more efficient and more reliable. Your exactly right about brushed motors disappearing more and more. Brushless just has them beat in every aspect.

Back