questions on versions of 5b and 5t

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beason

Bash, Fix, Repeat..
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
OK, so I'm getting a pretty large chunk of change back on my income tax because of buying my house, and I'm thinking about selling the revo and getting a 5th scale. so i have a few questions from the experts.

First off, the 5b and 5b ss. The website says you need a radio, throttle servo, and hump pack for the SS. is this it?? they say nothing about steering servo.. (besides gas and oil of course)

I already have the nomadio radio that i plan on keeping, and the SS is a bit cheeper then the RTR. What upgrades come with the SS? is it worth it? I know ill have to build it, but does it come with upgraded parts like the other HPI SS kits?

What servo should i get? I'm assuming something with alot of torque for the brakes.

What upgrades are mandatory? I've heard of people running the 5T exhaust, is this a good upgrade or just preference? I never have liked how the upgraded exhaust on the 5B looks so exposed to damage.

Also, i like the 5T but its quite a bit more spendy then the 5b. is there a big difference? will i be happy with the buggy?

Should i look for a used modded rig from a reputable guy (like a forum member) or go with a new one? I dont want to spend a huge pile on this thing.

How bad are replacement parts? are the normaly broken parts really expensive?

thanks for all your advice, you guys have saved me some cash in the past, so i trust your opinion.;)

OK, so I'm getting a pretty large chunk of change back on my income tax because of buying my house, and I'm thinking about selling the revo and getting a 5th scale. so i have a few questions from the experts.

First off, the 5b and 5b ss. The website says you need a radio, throttle servo, and hump pack for the SS. is this it?? they say nothing about steering servo.. (besides gas and oil of course)
the SS comes with steering servo. it will atleast be the mg servo, but with any luck the newest kits have the newest FL-10MG2 servo (nice strong full metal gear servo).

I already have the nomadio radio that i plan on keeping, and the SS is a bit cheeper then the RTR. What upgrades come with the SS? is it worth it? I know ill have to build it, but does it come with upgraded parts like the other HPI SS kits?
Good radio choice! lol. The SS has a few Nice changes and upgrades. it has an aluminum diff case instead of plastic of the rtr, it has better shocks, better steering servo (better yet if they use the newest version). thre are also some other changes besides the orange ano that make it a bit better once rtr than the actual rtr.

What servo should i get? I'm assuming something with alot of torque for the brakes.
for t/b servo i recommend no less than 200 in/ox imo. this will set up the stock rear brake quite good, but be sure to set your brake eps correctly. i use the JR Z9000T. spend no less than 80ish bux on a t/b servo. if you can spare the change, grab a top dollar unit (110 plus) i like JR as they have a great 3 yr warrenty and have always been good servos. the Hitec 5955tg is a good option. i think the NEWest steering servo (FL10MG2) will be fine, but if you have the orig FL10MG, with the plastic drive gear, you may want to upgrade the steering servo from the get go. the Multiplex Rhino is a great option here.

What upgrades are mandatory? I've heard of people running the 5T exhaust, is this a good upgrade or just preference? I never have liked how the upgraded exhaust on the 5B looks so exposed to damage.
the ss tuned pipe is OK, but weak unless theyve made them better. the stock can is just that, stock and useable but nothing spectaclar. pipe decision will depend on what you want for performance. i would suggest you start with the installed stock can, for a tew tanks, then install the HPI. once you get a feel for those differances, you can better decide what you want in a change, and then let us know, and we ll direct you to the current pipe of your dreams. lol
as far as manditory upgrads, i would say a few maybe. the 5 has some nice ones, but a better CB and an adjustable clutch would be a good start. once you know what your looking for a good tuned pipe. imho, the motor could use a bit of love in the form of a set of Fast Eddy Crank Bearings. but just wait till you have a motor problem (cy cylinder plating issue would be my guess when it happens) and install them then as it requires a full motor teardown to do. unless you feeling froggy. lol once those are done (even to the 5Ts) you should be pretty good. a set of phatdad driveshafts, motorcase saver if your jumping and shock shafts are always a good thing. the stock drive shafts, clutchs, bells, pinion bolts, and shocks need some attention imo to work well. If you drive it like an RC should be driven the stock items will serve your buggy and you well (radio system excluded), but if you drive your rc like your in it driving and running hard, you ll want to upgrade these items, or have them on hand for quick repair when they start to fail.
A Motor Kill switch is almost manditory as well. i may have the rtf file for the react to use cnl 3 as a mtor kill switch with the thumb roller wheel.

Also, i like the 5T but its quite a bit more spendy then the 5b. is there a big difference? will i be happy with the buggy?

the 5T is a built baja SS, and has the truck optionn on it and its rtr. it does have the new steering servos included and have stock radio/rx (no biggie for you have the Nomadio@!!) its has the truck side splash gaurds, rock trays, different rims/tires, the body ofcourse, and a few other nice options. i bit more, the the body is 160.00 compared to the 28.00 for the stock baja 5B body.

Should i look for a used modded rig from a reputable guy (like a forum member) or go with a new one? I dont want to spend a huge pile on this thing.
what is your use intensions? you want to race, or are you going to strickly bash? or maybe a bit of both? what is your price LIMITS?0

How bad are replacement parts? are the normaly broken parts really expensive?
most the parts arnt too bad, and even the motor arnt bad. in most cases, unless you go for a modded motor, you can rebuild one for around 80 to 100.00 dollars. but like any motor, you can go froggy with them. lol it depends on use and desire and fatwalletitis conditions.

thanks for all your advice, you guys have saved me some cash in the past, so i trust your opinion.;)

np glad to help. you can go used, find one that you know has been well cared for and maybe has some good hop ups on it. I've seen a 5T here n there too, but the price on them is still high. the cost diff is around 200 for the B or T rtr. the T has much nicer stuff on it, not counting the body stuff when compared directly to the RTR baja. its worth the 250ish extra bux imho. you can always take the truck mounts and body off and toss a 5B body on it and rims/tires and now you have a 5B. i am really thinking I'm going to sell off my Mean Green build and buy a T. i ll be keeping the Hooters Baja too.

Last edited:
from what I've seen the ss comes with a 26cc engine instead of the 23cc, is this correct? how much of a difference is the SS over the rtr engine?

so i should def go with the SS over the RTR, then i need a good servo, hump, and gas. I dont plan on racing, just bashing around the neighborhood or at the park. I want to get some paddles in the future and take it to the beach.

so the stock SS upgrades will get me going. I have the sensor, would your file work for it?

I dont want to spend more the 1000$ for a new one. a used one with some upgrades would be nice to. but it all depends on what i can get out of my revo.

I think I'm gonna do the SS kit and get a hump and servo. Does the SS kit come with shock oil, diff oil, etc??

just got back from the LHS, they have the SS but its almost 100$ more then tower. the guy there says he just build one for a guy and it wasn't very fun. he said it took like 28 hours to build. interesting..

If it took 28 hours for him to build the SS, he needs to get into another line of work.

It took me 8 hours at most to build my SS.

It is a fun build and of course you get to know how your rig is put together.

Get the SS over the RTR. You get the bigger motor, better shock shafts and it comes with the tuned pipe. Plus a few other upgrades.

The SS does come with the necessary oils including a bottle of pre-mix oil for the gas.

this will be my first kit although I've torn down and rebuilt every rig i have owned. any tips i should know? special tools?

the kit they have at the lhs does not have the fl-10mg2 it has the regular metal gear. could i get a mg2 for the 5t off ebay or would i be better off getting an aftermarket servo? are the oils included good weights? or should i got thicker/thinner?

thanks guys!

I'm sure you can get the MG2 off ebay since I just sold one last week there.

You are better off getting the HPI final gear set for the SS steering servo and make it a MG2.
http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/80598/

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVYA6&P=7

I use the Hitec 5745MG.

I think the oils included are a decent starting point. I find them too thin though.

I start with 15W in the rear and 35W up front. I also use 50K in my diff.

A cordless screwdriver that has adjustable torque with a set of power hex bits from 3mm up to 5mm will make the build easier.

ya the motor in teh Ss is a 26 compared to the 23 in the rtr. overall you have a good radio. forget you LHS and forget Tower.

buy your stuff here.
www.davesmotors.com

Daves has great stuff, Excellent customer service, 5% discount code using HBF or LSF (each one is a RCNT sister forum) by useing either HBF or LSF in the coupon code, and best off off offer FAST and free shipping ( on most items with orders of 100.00 or more) and the baja rtr/ss/5t all qualify as far as i know.

you can buy just the metal gearset for the newer sf10mg2 servo so thats a good way to go. i dont think there is a differance other than a couple gears and the servo arm.

rtr 5b in a SAND Configuration
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.46/.f

baja SS Kit
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.47/.f

5t
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.5397/.f

new gearset for the steering servo
http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.5654/.f

Brad and the rest of the gang at DDM are great folks too. you can call, email or go online to order too.

added it all up on ddm and I'm looking at $1026 even. thats for the kit, the gearset, the hump pack, and the hitech 5955 servo.

i thought about the drill setup rob, i just need to get the drivers. that should make it go by quite a bit easier. man i wish i could get some of those paddles two. this thing would rip on the beach, now that ike washed away all the loose stuff, its all hard packed sand now!

now i just gotta wait on the irs. and gotta buy the lady a new washer and dryer, and vaca, and I'm looking at getting my eyes fixed, and pay part of these new storm windows off. man i hope i have enough cash!

thanks guys!