Question Regarding Petrol or Gasoline

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srusinek

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just a couple of questions regarding the baja 5sc and gasoline. I'm currently running sunoco 89 octane with klotz synthetic mixed 25 to 1 ratio. The gas I purchased has 10 percent ethanol and is that ok? I can find ethanol free gas in my area but I always run sunoco in my lawn equipment and in my camry. Do I have to put stabil in it to put it up for winter? Also do I have to run after run oil in it? I'm totally a newbie when it comes to 5th scale and I definitely want to treat my investment right. Thanks for all the help in advance, Steve.

Treat the engine like you would your average weedeater. I use 87 octane unleaded with a synthetic 2-cycle oil mixed at 25:1. If you're not going to run the beast for a while (longer than a week), I would drain the fuel out of it. Stabil will help keep the fuel mix good over the winter. I've never seen the need for ARO.

I mix Stabil in with my pre-mix oil every time I get gas for the Baja's. It does not hurt and you never know if things come up and the gas will be sitting for awhile.

I also use Stabil for the gas I use in my lawnmower and my 1:1 beater Yota pickup that does not get driven very often.

After draining the fuel out of the Baja tank, you should fire it up to make sure all fuel is out of the lines and carb.

After every nitro run I always drain my lines and apply after run oil and clean my filter as needed. I did leave a very small amount of fuel in my tank on monday but i plan on running it tomorrow. Thanks for all of the advice and I really appreciate it. Steve.

Ethanol is alot like alcohol, as it evaporates it pulls the moisture from the things it was in contact with, like the O rings in your carb. Personally, the Baja and my other toys get corn free gas, as I got tired of replacing carb o rings after they sat in the winter.

Also, make sure the Klotz oil you're using is the right chemical formula for your application. I've seen some nasty crud left behind in Baja's from guys that didn't bother doing a little research. I run their R 50 full synthetic mixed with 93 octane and have never had any issues. If you run an oil with either castor, or benol, I'd do a little research on both of those substances, and then decide if you're driving style is appropriate for their use or not.

gas and oil

everyone has an opinion. if 50 people reply to your question, you'll get 50 versions of an answer. here's mine. learn to live with ethanol. not going away soon. if no ethanol is available in your area, use that. octane, i would rec to you to use the sunoco 93. the klutz oil, i have heard is good oil. here is what i do. i use sunoco 110 race fuel for no other reason other than i like the smell. i have a 30.5 stroker motor which has higher compression ration than the stock non stroked motors. so, it likes the octane. i use amsoil saber pro oil, which is a 100:1 oil, but mix at 75:1. motor likes it. so, bottom line is move up the octane scale and have a blast! foot note, i mix some stabile ethanol mix in all of my fuel which i use for lawn equipment, big outboard motor and daily drivers. this product is also a system cleaner.

Last edited:
+1 on the ethanol treatment, there are several options available these days.
You don't have to go nuts with the octane though, 87 or 89 is good unless you have a high compression engine. Too high of an octane will actually rob power if your compression is like 8 or 9:1.

Back