Pretty in pink!!!!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bman123

RCTalk Racer
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
Starting a build for my 5yr old daughter so she stops bugging me to drive mine. Lol although I do think it helped with her throttle control practicing with mine that does 60mph and is 2wd so you REALLY have to be smooth fingered!!!! LoL. I'm thinking of starting her with my Titan 12T brushed motor and 5xl esc. Does anybody have any thoughts on that? If you think it's to much to start her on or not enough lmao

I'll post pics of where I'm at so far when I get home from work this afternoon and you will understand the title of the thread! LoL

Titan motor and xl5 combo, its pretty low powered so yes, its good for a 5yr old. I got my slash when I was 7 and I ran the Titan combo until I was 11. With nimh batteries.
If the power is still too much, you can gear down lower, or turn the ESC into training mode, which limits the throttle too 50%

I still have 3 old Titan motors sitting on the shelf. Sold one of my xl5 escs, and I fried the other one.

If you're just running it on 50% power and nimh batteries, you really don't have to worry about the motor overheating. Just throw the motor in water, run it and put some bearing lube on it after like 10 or so runs so the motor can stay clean and healthy.

The new BL2s, brushless and 3300kv is the same speed / power as the old Titan combo and the BL2s is more efficient and stays cooler so if you would want to invest in that, that would also be a good start.

Titan motor and xl5 combo, its pretty low powered so yes, its good for a 5yr old. I got my slash when I was 7 and I ran the Titan combo until I was 11. With nimh batteries.
If the power is still too much, you can gear down lower, or turn the ESC into training mode, which limits the throttle too 50%

I still have 3 old Titan motors sitting on the shelf. Sold one of my xl5 escs, and I fried the other one.

If you're just running it on 50% power and nimh batteries, you really don't have to worry about the motor overheating. Just throw the motor in water, run it and put some bearing lube on it after like 10 or so runs so the motor can stay clean and healthy.
Wooo wooo wooo motor in water!!!!! That's like backwards from what I thought I knew about electric!! LoL. And have no idea of maintenance on a electric motor. Please explain. I'm always worried about my Velinion motor because it was expensive LoL and wonder if I'm doing right.

These were videos from a couple years ago of my slash. old Titan brushed combo. On 100% sport mode and Lipos. My first race video is when I was 7 on 50% and on nimh packs.

Wooo wooo wooo motor in water!!!!! That's like backwards from what I thought I knew about electric!! LoL. And have no idea of maintenance on a electric motor. Please explain. I'm always worried about my Velinion motor because it was expensive LoL and wonder if I'm doing right.
Its alright to do the water break In on old brushed motors. (the Titan) People do it all the time to make their motor a little bit faster and running it in water cleans the motor out of grime.

Last edited:
Simple explanation:

DC current is fine in water.
AC current is what you do not want to mix with water.

And one more question about lipo's I hardly ever run my battery totally dead and sometimes only run for like 10 min. Is it better to run it totally dead before charging or should I just charge it every time I run? That's what I been doing

Charge it up, use it. If you want to use it again charge it up, if not, storage charge it until next use. Can't run lipos dead so that's why the ESCs today have a cutoff voltage. Traxxas has it preset to about 3.4v per cell.

If you don't run all your batteries to the cut off, like me for racing, I charge it back up for the next race, or storage charge it until I can go to the track again.

And one more question about lipo's I hardly ever run my battery totally dead and sometimes only run for like 10 min. Is it better to run it totally dead before charging or should I just charge it every time I run? That's what I been doing
You don't have to run them dead. And by dead I assume you mean to the low voltage cutoff (LVC) of your ESC. LiPo's should never go below 3.0v per cell. So your LVC should be set to 3.2v-3.6v per cell as a safety buffer.

Run them, then put them back in storage charge of 3.8v per cell. That's what I do, and my LiPo's last me a very long time.

Back