Powerless Revo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slick96

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Can anyone tell me why only my shifter servo fires up and nothing else, along with a solid red sensor light. I swapped the Opti Drive and transmission sensor, and bought new steering servos. Still there is nothing! Can anyone help?

My first response is to say that the Opti-Drive system is crap, I've heard of more problems related to that little box than anything else. The only thing worthwhile that box does is keep you from shifting into reverse while the truck is still moving. I would like to see what happens if you remove it. It's pretty easy to bypass it and check to see if it's causing your problem.

I don't believe the Opti-drive is patched into the throttle and steering servo though. Try turning the switch on and un-plug the throttle and steering servos then plug them back in. I have a receiver that on occasion doesn't seem to see my steering servo I un-plug it and plug it back in and it jumps to life and works flawlessly all day.

Ah, you are correct the steering doesn't go through the Opti Drive, but from what I remember the throttle did. I took mine off after a couple weeks of use so I may be remembering incorrectly. It seems to happen the older I get. :D

I just had an issue where my throttle servo was cutting out for a few seconds here and there, then would come back. Thought it was the receiver but before I went and bought a new one I did what everyone has said, bypassed the opti-crap, I mean drive. Problem solved. The opti-drive is great for new drivers because they may be more prone to a mistake like shifting into reverse while going 40 mph but once you know not to do that...trash it. My opti-drive is gone and all of my electrical problems went with it. On my next revo or traxxas model I get with an opti-drive it'll be the first thing I tear out, even before starting the engine....

If I bypass it will I need the forward only conversion...Or could you guys pass on some info on removing the opti drive while keeping reverse.

If I bypass it will I need the forward only conversion...Or could you guys pass on some info on removing the opti drive while keeping reverse.

I'm not positive here but I'll try and pass on what I've herd in here (to give a quick response) If you remove the opti drive you will not need the FOC you just have to be carefull not to shift into reverse unless you are totally stopped.:smart:

yea, you don't need an FOC to bypass it, however it's only like 10 bucks and it does alot of good, there is alot of dead weight and headaches on there for a gear that you never use anyway

that didn't work. I bypassed it but still only the shifter servo fires up and nothing esle.

you guys think the my reciever is bad? I've had it a year but its hardly used.

It may be since you bought new sevros alraedy and bypassed the opti drive and are still having the same problem... I know this may sound stupid but are your batteries good and all put in correctly (transmitter and reviever)... I don't suppose you have another reciever laying around to test... Well it sounds like an ebay fix

Do you have the ground wire of your servos facing the outside of the receiver?

have you gotten your reciever wet? if so you could have damaged it, if you shifter servo works and nothing else, try plugging in your other servos into the shifter servo slot and see if the servos work, if they do work, its probibly the reciever.

it could also be your battery though unlikely, the trx battery that came with mine was a POS, went bad after 2 gal of fuel and wouldn't recharge anymore, luckly i hade 3 more from my r40, all of them older than the stock trx battery and still going strong.

I checked my ground wires they were good correct. I also swapped the servo plugs around and still the shifter servo will fire up in any slot. The steering and throttle servos do nothing. I'm trying to find my spare battery for the truck, I have a new one lying around somewhere. I'll charge it and swap them out and see.