please help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister Mental

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi,
I have a friend that cannot start his car, yesterday it was firing up then cutting out, today it wasn't getting any fuel through, messed around with some screws now fuel is coming into the engine but the pull start is super super hard to pull, if I am feeling brave I might try it later but it is really hard.
anyone have a solution?
the cars brand new and hasnt been run in yet

The engine is flooded. Take out the glow plug and stand the car in end. Pull sht pull cord a few times and clear all excess fuel and reinstall glow plug. Should work like a charm. Also check to make sure the glow plug is not dead, could be the source of his problems.

the engine isnt flooded and the glow plug works
any other ideas?

if the pullstart is hard to pull,as in you pick the car up rather than pull the cord out,it is flooded.the skrews shouldnt be messed with but rather set to a certain setting.the settings is critical to not only the engine starting but also engine performance and life.you need to find his manual set it up according to the break-in settings and start from there?

Did you try what I asked about pulling it over a few times without the glow plug in and the cylinder parallel to the ground? If you did and it is still really hard to pull over, ALL STOP. Something internal or external is causing the crank shaft to bind. It could be as easy as a small twig is rubbing against the flywheel. It could be as major as a bent crank shaft. Take a thorough recon of the entire engine externally.

Lastly, it could be because it is a new engine and is still really tight. try cranking it over with the glow plug only snug, by hand, on the engine so that some fuel and some of the compression is lost. The engine should fire without any problem and once it does crank the glow plug down all the way. Repeat as necessary until it's running on it's own.

Last edited:
Originally posted by El Pirata
Did you try what I asked about pulling it over a few times? If you did and it is still really hard to pull over, ALL STOP. Something internal or external is causing the crank shaft to bind. It could be as easy as a small twig is rubbing against the flywheel. It could be as major as a bent crank shaft. Take a thorough recon of the entire engine externally.

Lastly, it could be because it is a new engine and is still really tight. try cranking it over with the glow plug only snug, by hand, on the engine so that some fuel and some of the compression is lost. The engine should fire without any problem and once it does crank the glow plug down all the way. Repeat as necessary until it's running on it's own.
that could be it
he said that when he takes the glow plug out it cranks over perfictly
ill get him to try what you suggested
thanks

Hi,
thanks for teh advice, loosening the glowplug worked a treat, Thanks!!:thumbup: :winnar:

So, if u loosening the glow plug u can pull mean that this engine full of compression. Very good and is Normal.

khoo

I mean with glow plug hard to pull the pull start and without the plug easy to pull mean the engine is full or compression.

If you have a brand new engine, the piston and sleeve tend to be really snug near the top of the stroke. Also, the compression can be huge by comparison. By loosening the glo-plug a bit you allow the compression to "vent" a little pressure. This is done mostly during the starting of the engine. Once the engine is running, you can snug the plug down.

To answer your question, yes. You are on the right track.

BTW tkhoo, where are you from? The clipped English leads me to believe somewhere other than the UK or the states.

Ok, sorry for not understanding your English. I know how hard English is to learn, compared to other languages of the world.

Welcome to RCNT, tkhoo.

Hope you get all the answers to all of your questions. Enjoy.

Originally posted by tkhoo
I mean with glow plug hard to pull the pull start and without the plug easy to pull mean the engine is full or compression.

What?

:lurk: