Please help, problems with Stampede

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andydrew39219

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok, so it has about 3/4 gal through it so far and the last 2 times I took it out it didn't run right. I have a chance to take it out today but I need to figure this out.

The other day (it was a cold day 30s) I couldn't get it to idle right, It idles high then it wants to start moving forward after about a minute of sitting. When I press on the brake the idle drops low, sounding normal and not wanting to jump. The manual says to turn the idle screw clockwise to decrease the idle but it makes it idle higher. When I was running it, it would run fine unless I gave it some good throttle, then it would stall. Sometimes it would stall for no good reason. I am running it on the richer side.

Unscrew idle screw closes carb gab

It gets to a point where the idle won't decrease anymore without the break being fully engaged. So when it is just sitting there it will idle high but if I hold the break in the idle will drop to normal.

You need to adjust the throttle linkage so that the idle gap stays the same when at idle or brakes. It should not move when you're on the brakes. You want to take the air filter off and set this all up with the truck turned on, but not running. Set your idle gap to between .5MM-1MM max. Then set up your linkages. Then refer to this tuning guide here to get it set up right. https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76808
:)

Well, I adjusted the throttle linkage and it ran awesome. Did a good 3 or 4 tanks. Stalled here and there, but it's rich. It doesn't like WO though, It never has. Guess it is because it has always been on the rich side. It's hard for me to tell what I need to do as far as adjusting the HSN but I'll figure it out. I can give it 3/4 throttle and take it as far as I want most of the time.

Now I need help on another thing. When I am really giving it to the Stampede it will just stall or almost die and if I let off the throttle fast enough it will come to again. Sometimes when it stalls it will sound like it backfires. Like a little poof after it stalls. I really don't think it's too lean. It's highest temp was 220 after hammering on it and doing doughnuts. But if I cruise at 3/4 throttle its maybe 180 at it's highest, usually 160-170. 99.9% of the time it will go 3/4 throttle as long as I hold it. What do you guys think?

Last edited: