Old People

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarant

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
about a month ago I was riding my bike and I was watching this old guy like 80 try to park his car so he was backing up going probly like 3mph and he crashed to to this car behind him, well he pulled forward 5ft and got out and notcied he was to far forward so be backed up again and crashed into the same car and just got out and left,
Then last week me and my mom were driving down a 2 way street and we pulled it to an intersection and it split in to a forward lane and a turning lane this old lady pulled into the turning lane and when the light turned green she drove through the intersection and was driving down the road the wrong way, then got to another intersection and never touched he brake and just drove rite through,
and today we hear on the news that a old lady was driving in a blazer and hit a couple on a motorcycle and drove off, when the cops found her she said she never rememberd hitting anybody.

why can't their be a limit or somthing for old people, I know that we teenagers are not great drivers and we cause a lot of crashes but we are just learning to drive the old people have driven all their lives, I dont think that all people over the age of 70 should have their licenses pulled but they sould have to do a driving test or somthing before they can get a new licenses.

their I am done venting.

I agree... but then again, I drive about 600 miles a week for my daily commute to/from work. I think people should have to do a driving test at least once every 6 months to prove that they aren't mentally retarded when a vehicle comes into play. Regardless of age, at least 50% of the people I see every day suck at driving (suburban Chicago).

There are so many that don't pay attention to anything going on around them. At least twice every single day (no lie), I either am forced to swerve or lock up my brakes to keep someone from hitting me. At least once on the way to work and once on the way home.

There was once when I had done such an impressive maneuver that a guy pulled up beside me at a toll booth shortly afterward and said "Man, if this wasn't the free way, I'd get out and grovel at your feet! That was awesome!!!"

I'm still not sure how I didn't swap paint, but I avoided a suburban (woman driver), a Mack semi (not sure of driver), a full size dodge van (woman driver) and some ass that caused the upset in a z71 off road 4x4 expecting the world to yield for him at 70mph. Basically, the z71 decided he needed to cross 4 lanes of traffic at 70mph... the van and the suburban lost. I was in between them in my Mercury.

Now if I can make it through a wreck like that and notice almost the type of all drivers and remember all vehicles involved, is it to much to ask that people simply learn the shut off their damn blinkers on occasion!!!!

Sorry, you started the rant, I figured I'd fuel the fire.

So you wanna take FastEddy's license away??? lol
I agree, there should be quarterly retesting after a certain age...

South Park 710-Grey Dawn. You'll get a laugh outta it. It's concerning old people and driving, and the AARP, it's funny as hell.

Both of my grandparents have taken driving tests (they just took em). They took written and driving tests. My grandpa (who has a horrible case of Alzhiemer's) took the tests, and didnt miss one point. My grandma (who has a perfect driving record) missed like 10 points between the 2 tests. I have to say, that when riding with either of them, it is kinda scary... They have slow response times, and even slower driving habits. Both of them are right around 80 yrs old... I totally agree on the testing though... It should be manditory to test all senior citizens over a certian age (65 or somethin like that). Some of those elderly people are dangerous on the roads!

65 is a bit young for the testing, but there is a big difference between 65 and 70.
I'd say 70 should do it.
My bosses father comes to work 4 days a week.
He just turned 80.
In the last 2 months he hit a curb twice.
To me, curb means sidewalk.
2 tires and rims at 2 different times, ball joint, shock, & a tie rod, all in 2 months.
2005 Caddy Seville. car is 3 months old.

Something a little different. I was coming home from an r/c race on a main road (a highway with traffic lights every few miles).
I didn't know the way, and was following a friend.
Last minute, he turns hard right, into the right lane, (doing 65-70), and I was unhappy to see a car coming right at me HEAD ON!
I had only one savable option. Go in the grass meadion.
80 something year old women yelling at me.
I asked her if she knew that she was on the wrong side of the highway, and she told me to go f**k myself.
NICE!!
I was lucky that I lived.

RatzoRC said:
80 something year old women yelling at me.
I asked her if she knew that she was on the wrong side of the highway, and she told me to go f**k myself.

LMFAO Only in New York!

YOu should see the poop that I have to deal with, these old people come driving up to my booth and sometimes I'm scared! Just yesterday an old lady was comming into our POE (port of entry) blew a tire and slammed the curb! It was the funniest thing I think I've ever seen, but the worst part was she stopped (didn't get out) looked around, then put the car back in drive and drove off. It was one of those things you have to see to believe!

Mn has a law where they have to get "Evaluated" when they are 70 for driving. Granted I think the people at the Dmv are in charge of it, and do it by looks, so it doesn't do much, but I agree they should do a re-test or something. I think they should do it with people who have been in over a certain amount of accidents in a certain amount of time also. I know a girl (Shes a fricken dumbass by the way, and pretty much a waste of air) and shes been in 11 accidents since she got her licence when she was 18 and shes 20 now. (While there evaluating her, they should evaluate her head too while there at it) Anyway, its been looked into in Mn. but not really to serious.

If they were all reported, knowone would insure her.

Try driving around Florida when the "Snowbirds" hit the state. That'll put the fear of God in you right away! LOL The wife and I lived there from August of last year until Feb this year. From the end of Sept to the time we left, accidents in Hudson (where we were living) increased over 500% !! Now thats just crazy!
That would explain why insurance rates in Florida are in the top 5% of the highest in the country.

Don't get me started on the frickin senior "can I have my senior discount" citizens. My personal feeling is they should all be locked away in little communities when they turn 65 and only be allowed to drive on sunday mornings from 7:00am to 7:05am on public roads. I'd gladly buy a bus pass for a senior every year if meant they had to give up their car and driving priviledges. I once heard this lady talking to one of her friends in a store when I lived in GA bragging how she just renewed her license and they think she's 82 and she's really 96. I about poop, and yes she almost caused a damn wreck in the parking lot, I know cause it was me she almost hit!

the age limit is alittle disturbing to me, My grandfather is 81 and he is sharp...quick reflexes too and I know of a few older people here in S Fl that I couldn't see being an issue, BUT I do see soooooo many people here (young and old) that should never have gotten a license in the first place.....My favorite is when you see the blue hair sticking out over the steering wheel and just knuckles ont the top of it......My first car was totalled by the blue haired menace...72 spitfire w/ a GT-6 engine, my dad and I spent 2 years rebuilding it for me and I got a total of 3 months out of it before a 68 Buick ninety-eight drove off a high sidwalk and across my hood...the woman got pulled over 2 blocks away after driving over my hood and swore she didn't run over anything.....I would rather drive in NYC rush hour traffic than go to "road warrior training" in Mijami......

I would much rather drive in a swarm of blue-hairs than around the teeny-boppers who have their seat laid back, thumpers thumping, one hand on their cell phone, other hand in their crotch checking out their earings in the rear-view mirror!!

why?

Although both equally dangerous, the blue hairs are doing it at 30 MPH while the hormone generation is doing it at 60 MPH.

Mr T....gettin' old and cranky

Mr T-Maxx said:
I would much rather drive in a swarm of blue-hairs than around the teeny-boppers who have their seat laid back, thumpers thumping, one hand on their cell phone, other hand in their crotch checking out their earings in the rear-view mirror!!

why?

Although both equally dangerous, the blue hairs are doing it at 30 MPH while the hormone generation is doing it at 60 MPH.

Mr T....gettin' old and cranky

lol,your kinda making it sound like people between the ages of 30 and 50 are the only one's that should drive.

Got Nitro? said:
lol,your kinda making it sound like people between the ages of 30 and 50 are the only one's that should drive.

Check with the insurance companies...I'm sure they would agree with your theory.

Mr T

I already did, i just can't wait till i have to get insurance in a couple months.
insurance companys are picky with teens,because there "high risk" drivers.

We have them too but are usually zipping so fast they get out of the way and are gone....I know I drive fast but if the traffic is thick don't do it...there's a time and place for fast driving and doing 100mph through 5 lanes of congestion is not the place.....the blue hairs and 3rd worlders I call em are the worst.....I know when you go to other countries they drive different, but some of the driving these people do is just unforgiveable......I pass at least 10 people going to mills pond (10 mile drive) in the left lane doing 40mph when traffic is moving over 60.......AAAAARRRRRGGGHGHHH FRICKEN FRACKIN FROCK!!!!!left lane is for passing people if you are being left behind from people passing you on the right you need to get the F#@K outta the left lane.....

I had my "taste" of an older person driving and almost hitting me. Two weeks ago, sl0eg1n and I were coming home from a day of racing and hit traffic going IN TO the toll lanes at the George Washington Bridge. I was in the EZpass lane, not even doing 10 mph in my Tahoe and a car casually goes into my lane and doesn't even check to see if there was anyone there. I blare on the airhorn ... scare everyone around me ... and made the driver have to change his depends when he probably got home. It was an older man with probably his middle aged son that did it. He never looked back to see who was on him. He knew he was in the wrong. Funny thing is, he didn't have an EZ pass tag and just went through the toll anyway. He's getting a fine in the mail witha picture, for sure!

NOW, for all you younger drivers ... I have to agree with the insurance companies about giving assigned risks. How many teenagers and young drivers do you hear raving about how good of a driver they are? I hear it all the time ... "I have great reflexes,
" 'I drive better going fast;" Don't worry, I know my limits" I've heard it all ....

Yesterday, sl0eg1n and I were coming home, cutting through the backside of Bear mountain via the palisades, since the NY Thruway was bumper to bumper. I'm driving and there's a merge coming up. I hold my speed steady in the left lane. I see a honda civic coming in strong and kinda erratic in the steering, so I speed up a lil bit to get ahead of the car. What do I see? some young girl ... definitely below 21, singing and probably dancing to the music while driving. She wasn't really paying attention to her surroundings.

Well, I'm ahead of her and zipping through the mountain pass (route6) in my blacked out Tahoe, doing about 70-75. I see someone ahead of me, and I'm coming up pretty fast on him so I slow down. The guy sees me and moves into the right lane (it's a 2 lane rural h'way). He gets in front of the Civic that has the girl dancing in it but the girl thinks she can speed up and cut in front of me. Well, she wouldn't have made it if I didn't see her in time to let off the gas. I had to let her through or there would be a very bad accident. To top it off .... SHE WAS ON THE CELL, and lifted the good ole' NYC "How ya doin" sign to me. Well, I got infuriated blared on the airhorn, got the lights flashing and made sure all she saw in her rear mirror was a big black grill. It was by this time that sl0eg1n had his foot in the floorboard, thinking there was a brake pedal there.

She was scared because there was no place for her to go and there was a slow driver ahead of her. The 2 lanes turned into a single lane as we made it through the bear mountain pass. Only 1 lane in each direction.

BTW, We weren't going that fast. By the time she cut in front of me, I had already slowed down to about 50 mph and waiting for the other car to merge into the right lane. By the time she was in front of me and I was standing on the arhorn, we were only at 60. It just felt faster to sl0eg1n because we were going up hill on a winding highway and the Tahoe was in passing gear and roaring up the mountain. Her engine was pretty much topped out by the time we got to the top of the pass where it merged into 1 lane. We weren't going any faster than 75.

My whole point to this is, yes ... I do believe that there should be a retest for EVERYONE when renewing their license not just send in the renewal application and call it a day. We all practice like hell to pass the test when first getting it then it's an accumulation of bad habits as we get older and drive longer. Teens, tend to have the highest insurance because it's been proven. The younger you are, the more confident you are in yourself ... which makes you dangerous.

You have the faster reflexes but lack the experience to know what to do and/or know your limitations. I should know, I was one of those teenagers and I got into a pretty bad accident only 6 months from getting my license. Never had an accident after that and started driving like I should've been in the first place ... safely and responsibly.

Last edited:
i thought old people did have to take tests...

I wish it was that way everywhere. Here, the only thing you need to do is pass the vision test when you have to apply in person upon request of the DMV.

Testing should include a road test.

Back