OK who has a Nitro MT

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newnitrofan

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok so who on this site has the Nitro MT. I own one just want so see if I am alone or what. Let me know. Late

I used to own one. Never really liked it. Hard to work on, underpowered...

i have a .21 nmt, pretty hopped up, buggy wing, masher 2k's etc.:banana:

I bought one used on ebay recently just to have something to bash when the buggy is in peices. For $90 I couldnt pass the deal up. It should be here this week. From the description it sounds ok we'll see. Worse case I can always put a couple bucks into it and put it Back on ebay.

Hmm, Don't think you will be disappointed rob at all. Well especially for that price. Kwong not sure what to tell you if you are had a hard time to work on it. Razor I'm pretty sure I've talked to you before. I dunno I love the truck it handles well and of course stock it's underpowered but if you find the right engine for it it's a great truck. Just tryin to figure out who's my friend on this board and who isn't. Late

Well regardless of which rides you have I'm sure the members here will befreind you. We are all a pretty friendly bunch. Even the argumentative ones are still nice guys.

Underpowered huh? What mill and pipe are you running or you would suggest? Mine will be just for fun to have SOMETHING to run when the onroad and the buggy are up for repairs. I "need" my nitro fix man. The buggy has been up on the workstand for the last two weeks because of a stupid spur gear. I can't handle going through withdrawls again for that long. lol

my friend has a nmt (4 wheel drive stadium). ANyway, its running a lot more than my savage. Its all stock except for a loud, shiney chrome pipe. It can take some abuse and is really fun to watch jump. I would suggest it. :fro:

Originally posted by robriguez
Well regardless of which rides you have I'm sure the members here will befreind you. We are all a pretty friendly bunch. Even the argumentative ones are still nice guys.

Underpowered huh? What mill and pipe are you running or you would suggest? Mine will be just for fun to have SOMETHING to run when the onroad and the buggy are up for repairs. I "need" my nitro fix man. The buggy has been up on the workstand for the last two weeks because of a stupid spur gear. I can't handle going through withdrawls again for that long. lol

I was honestly just teasing about friendly or not. As for the power of the FE. It would take a lot of money to make it have more power. You could get the .15SS in an engine exchange from HPI for $99.00. A lot of guys run an OS .15CVRX. I am personally going .21. I have a Rossi Motor with XTM Header and pipe. Can't wait to actually get it running. If you put the OS or a fantom .15 you can't go wrong at all. It will make the truck very competitive. If you do upgrade the motor you should get some RTR 3 bevel gears. The pot metal gears that come with it are not strong enough for the abuse a higher horsepower motor will put out. Let me know of any questions. I really just wanted to start a NMT thread. Late

wow. a .21 nova rossi? or just a .12 -.15?

If you can believe it it's actually a .21 Rossi Motor with a PullStart. I have had to try to find piston and sleeve for this thing and wow I can't seem to find them at all. Picked it up cheep on ebay probably for that reason.

OK so I got the NMT today. Found some problems with the electrical system but have that squared away now. Are you supposed to have to remove the entire radio tray just to get the batteries out??

Will definitly need to rebuild the shocks. Seems to roll nice and smooth, not too much chattering. Front end seems loose. Like I can grab either front wheel and wiggle left to right ALOT. I get a good 10-15 degrees of "play" at both front wheels? Is this normal?

doesn't want to start tho. Guy selling it said it sat for over a year so I think imma break open the mill and have a look see. Maybe polish things up a bit and try again.

Seems to have toooo much camber on the front wheels. Only the edge of the inside of the tires is touching when its sitting still. Hmmm something else to check, I dont see any way of adjusting it, any ideas??

The guy sent a ton of spar parts. MIP clutch shoes, 2 sets of lower a-arms, set of shock bodies, extra tires, looks like purple anodised tie rod ends (will need to look at the manual a bit later to check what they are), extra pipe, and a ton of misc plastic parts. Extra Kewl!!!

Umm, Actually I think you do have to remove the entire radio tray to get the radio out. You might look into a RS4 3 Radio Tray. It seals the receiver from the elements and is way easier to deal with. It's one of the things I miss most from my Type SS. Umm the slop in the front steering can be cleared up with a set of turnbuckles. I opted for a set of Lunsford Titanium Turnbuckles and RPM heavy duty ball cups. Took most of the slop out. The only other way to totally clear it up is to get either the powerline or GPM aluminum steering set. How's your brake?? Stock plastic?? The HPI fiber brake disc is an awesome cheep upgrade. You could also get the Kyosho MP6 set and have a steel vented rotor setup and it comes with two sets that way. Does it have the stock FE in it?? I wasn't a big fan of that motor. Later

Its running great, Had some troubles getting it to idle smoothly but after 2-3 tanks it quieted down. It now runs pretty good actually. I've got the needle about 1.75 turns out on the .15FE and the truck MOVES!!!. Still nice stream of smoke so I should be ok.

Seems like its an "all or nothing" endevour when trying to accellerate. Might just be that its a rotary carb and I'm just not used to it. All my other mills have slide carbs.

Not sure whats going on but when I take off full WOT from a stand still it will take off to the left after about 10 feet. I'll straighten it out then its fine but every time I take off it does that. It doesn't matter if its 2 feet away from me or 100 feet away from me. Still does it. Any ideas??

I have heard a lot of people saying that. I have never had the problem myself. Honestly the lag in power is the fe. Watch out those motors tend to run hot in a big way. AS far as acceleration go's that truck is kind of like a beach cruiser takes forever to get going but once it does it actually moves. If anything might help for that motor you might try an upgraded cooling head would help a lot. Other than getting a new motor. It's a great basher truck. Later

Last edited:
honestly, the nmt has an extremely LOW gearing for its size/sock power... is a 12/52 gearing, with my nmt (non .21 and .21 engines) i always used 15/49. seemed perfect for my .15 os cv-x hyper and then my hyper .21 made it wild.

I've got a NMT ,had a problem breaking a-arms but I figured out how to fix that.. QUIT HITTING STUFF:smart:
I've noticed the rear suspension is really soft, I went with 32 weight shock oil (could have went heavier) Blue springs and Team Losi Spring clamps (A-5023). I had to do a little bit of dremel work but I can adjust the spring compression indefinetly.
Great for jumping and added aluminum parts.
Mine has a ton of steering slop also, It even does the pull to the left after takeoff trick?!? I almost think it's something to do with torque delivery and differentials that could also be complete crap too?!?! I'm gettin or ordering my os .15 engine today :bling: :bling: :bling: :bling:

Dude you must've dug far to find this one. Talk about raising the dead that's for sure. As for arms you might try boiling the suspension arms for about 15 minutes this allows them to flex a little bit also HPI recommends it.

I was wondering if the mt would be considered a statium truck as it's 4wd and most stadium trucks are not.

Pirata I think if it was not 4wd it would definitely be considered a stadium truck. It has all the features of one for sure just with 4wd. Even right down to the body since RC10GT bodies fit it and even some parts if I remember right. Newayz I really like my truck it has always provided me with a lot of fun. Think I'm gonna go finish breaking in my picco and bash my MT a little. Later

Maybe, and I do mean maybe, I'll finish breaking my my new buggy so I can bash with Sky next weekend.