Not all fuels are created equal...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killahbz

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
It seems that certain motors like certain kinds of fuel but I never new what a difference a change would make. I have ran 3 plus quarts of Wildcat Eliminator through my savage with the stock motor. It is 20/18 nitro to oil content. It continuously ran hot. Within less than a minute its over 200 degrees and continues to climb with a cold plug (outside temp is about 85 degrees). And did I mention that its super "rich" with plenty of oil spitting from the exhaust. However I leaned it just enough to shift into second gear.

I really hit peak performance Friday while bashing with Digi second gear is a beast...LOL...but temps hit 303. Digital Liquid offered a test tank of O'donnells 20% Race (don't know the oil content) but damn what a difference. I kept the settings the same but I had to increase the idle to kept it running. At idle the temps stayed at 150 degrees. I ran it around, very sluggish, brought it in 153 degrees, WTF...leaned in out, leaned it out, leaned it out, finally 200 degrees as I reached the same performance as with the Wildcat at 303 degrees. I was amazed... Then I opened a new bottle of Wildcat with 14% oil content instead of 18% and I could not tell a significant difference.

So my assumption is that the O'donnells have less oil or Wildcat's oil content and properties are just to much for the S-25. What I do know is that NOT ALL FUELS ARE THE SAME!

So what do you think?... Has anyone had a similar experience with fuels?... What fuels are you guys running and for what engine?

the trinity 20% in my gs storm(stock motor) is realy nice:cloud9:

18% is way way to high oil content for rc cars. I will generally run either 12 or 14%. The 18% is dedigned for airgraft engines running a heck of a lot lower rpms.

True EP I agree with you. I chose to go with the 18% for break in and also since this is my first nitro I didn't want to blow it up! I believed that with extra oil content I could lean the mixture a bit more and still get excellent lubrication. But even with the 14% temps where still untolerable. HPI recommends Wildcat probably because they manufacture PowerFuel (and Trinity) but now I'm hesitant to try that....

Higher oil does not mean lower temps only more, in this case too much, lubrication. You're not going to blow your engine off 20% nitro and 14% oil unless you try making it too lean.

Yeah, I don't really see the point in running a higher oil content in order to lean out. More oil obviously means less fuel.. less fuel and more air means higher temps... is that correct? Just seems like 1 step forward and 2 steps back to me.

Fuels I had no Problems O'Donnel 20% 25% and #30% and Dynamite Blue Thunder 30%

Ok was Trinity

Never touch Traxxas i can piss and make an engine run better way too much oil in it.

I agree w/ Spork, stay away from Top Fuel. It ran like crap for me too. So did Sidewinder Backyard Basher.

O'Donnel is all I will run from now on.

Later...:mex:

My vote goes for O'Donnel. That's what I run.

Trinity and Blue Thunder have beent he 2 best fuels I've seen. They just cope with ur engine and tune so easy. Traxxis Top Fuel sucks a fat one unless you have a TRX

Blue Thunder is my Tmaxx's drink of choice. 20%, 16% oil. I only used a quart of Traxxas fuel for the break in, since they required it for warranty. I think it's slug slime.

i was using traxxas 20% I'm my megatech it would overheat and kill out

now i use odonell 20% runs alot better still overheats and kills out but like half as much as it did before thats also only cazz megatech sucks

I use O'donnel 20% Race and it does better than any other Fuel I have used, a close second would Be Blue Thunder 20% .. I agree Top Fuel Bites the big one, I ran 2 gallons of it then switched to o'donnel and it Ran 3x better at factory than top fuel ever did..

Well it seems O'Donnells is the overall favorite and I must admit it ran better than the Wildcat and Sidewinder. The nitro game is still a learning process for me and I certainly learn from my mistakes. Now all I have to do is "fine-tune" my tune so I can gain a little respect at the Memorial Day Bash...LOL...

Well I had the XTM .18 in my X-cellerator. I broke it in with traxxas 16% oil.. it ran nice. Then it just became a beast to tune.. almost every run I had to re set to factory and tune..a real Bitch..

I moved to trinity 12% oil, and it tuned like a dream, and ran like a a rocket comparitively.

Then I aquire a TRX.15 pro.. I couldnt tune it, it would just bog overheatstall. no matter what.. I bought a quart of traxxas 16% because everythign else was gone.. poof back came my performance..

The lesson I learned..all fuels are good for the engine they are designed to run with. Check your book, and see what they recomend..if you;re not happy with the tune, and you know it;s notmechanical, try out different fuels and oil content

I used to have to buy a gallon of top fuel for the traxxas engine, and a gallon of trinity for the XTM.. now I sold the trx .15 on a one of my maxxes.. I'm just using trinity for the XTM.

I've used byron originals 20% (12% oil) and had really good luck with it,it seems to be the prefered fuel at the track I race.I just bought some o'donnels this week and ran it today,it too has 12% oil and seems to run really well.I'll probably just stick to these 2 brands for future use.

Originally posted by killahbz
Now all I have to do is "fine-tune" my tune so I can gain a little respect at the Memorial Day Bash...LOL...
Don't worry about trying to tune it before the bash. There will be enough brain power there to help you along if you need any help.

I've found that Trinity 20%/12% tunes really well for me in my low-end bashing engines. When I tried Blue Thunder 20% I didn't have such good luck with it - seemed it wanted to run hotter. I've been using BK Fuels 30% in my CMB and have had zero problems - runs cool, idles well and is super easy to get dialed in.

The O'Donnells also runs well for me, but I haven't tried it in my CMB and probably won't for a while since I have 3+ gallons left of the BK fuel.

-SlingItX

Back