Nitro Engine Radiator Build/Experiment :-D

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonstrousMikey

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hey all.. okay heres the plan. i went to home depot and bought soft copper pipe 1/4''. i bent it into a series of 'S' shapes to resemble radiator coils. this will go behind my bumper with a fan infront of it. i wrapped copper pipe tight around the head of the engine. now I'm waiting for my 6v dc mini water pump to arrive. i will join the radiator and cooling head copper with appropriate tube of course with the water pump tied into the mix. so i will have water circulating throughout the copper hopefully cooling my k5.9 savage xl. i will have pictures + updates asap. ..... wellllll what do you think???

Good luck with that Mikey....I am not sure (really not) that is going to work well for you. Here is a list of potential problems...
#1 is you have blocked off your cooling air supply to your cooling head. Now the engine does not cool as designed
#2 A radiator is a lot more than a series of s-bends. You also need the fins that help dissipate the heat away from that copper piping.
#3...what happens when the water starts to boil? the pressure of the steam will most likely blow up the system.... leaving you with no cooling what so ever.
#4 is the lil pump designed to pump hot/boiling water?
#5 Are you going to have a water reservoir or just what is in the pipe? If just in the pipe it will not be enough dissipation to reliable cool the engine....if you go with a tank then you have the weight issue.

Sadly man this has been tried before and the only engines I have seen that worked for water cooling is boat engines. But don't let us stop you....I know you will have to try it to prove to your self. I am the same way sometimes. So good luck and please keep a very close eye on that engine temp!!

Last edited:
your absolutly right about alot of things. biggest concern that you brought to my attention is that i would be blocking the fins on the cooling head. you almost completely discouraged me. but i already spent $40 on the project thus far so I'm going to finish thank you

you need a small gas tank for water a cpu fan to cool off the water at the radiator.

"this will go behind my bumper with a fan infront of it."

"Are you going to have a water reservoir or just what is in the pipe? If just in the pipe it will not be enough dissipation to reliable cool the engine....if you go with a tank then you have the weight issue."

You really have to read alil man. Both of your suggestions have been posted already.
Now i am not being mean but if you read it you would have seen it. And could have offered something else.
:)

Now to get back on subject. I know you wrapped the head already, But i was wondering which way you wrapped it? I am assuming you went side to side. What if you s shaped it up and down leaving some space in between to let a lil air cool it also. Just a thought.

Last edited:
do not use copper tubing for a water line the copper will heat up all the way down the pipe. i made a make shift cooling system. your going to need to pump alot of water through and keep it cool.

Qaart read his whole post.... man it is in there....he is getting a fan and a pump. Sigh...fix it? Nope!

do not use copper tubing for a water line the copper will heat up all the way down the pipe. i made a make shift cooling system. your going to need to pump alot of water through and keep it cool.

Um... getting hot throughout the pipe is a good thing as it dissipates more heat. Copper is one of the best conductors of heat there is. IMO it doesn't get much better unless you use lead or gold... lol

Qaart read his whole post.... man it is in there....he is getting a fan and a pump. Sigh...fix it? Nope!

LMAO!

I give up. I'm throwing in the towel.

I hope your build goes well man keep us up to date.

You know, qaart could put a couple gallons of water on that RC trailer of his...he could just run flexible tubing to a radiator, pump, fan and battery back to the bed of the trailer while he is pulling it! A gallon would be plenty of fluid for a nitro! Qaart start building!... ;)

Qaart I'm surprised you haven't tried cooling your RC with2 feet of fuel line wrapped around the head of the engine, that should cool down your engine since alcohol only boils at 170.

why dont yall stop derailing this and get back to topic

I'm so sorry Mikey For crappy your thread.

Wondering why this thread got derailed?

Qaart I was not truely de-railing. Since you have a trailer you should hook up the water cooling system to it and pull it around! You have to admit it would be funny.

Back