Nitro engine guide

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novak

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hi,
maybe you already have it but i just discovered a great book and i wanted to share with you guys.

It is called ULTIMATE NITRO ENGINE GUIDE for RC vehicles from the publishers of radio control nitro and radio control car action.
There are 201 pages - all in colors with great pictures and sketches.
It's divided into 7 chapters
chapter 1: engine basics (likepistons, cooling, glow plug tune pipe, 2 vs 4 strokes,etc.)
chapter 2: setup techniques (like tools, pre-run prep, setting up, clutch, linkage,etc.)
chapter 3: starting and running
chapter 4: engine maintenance (like rebuilding engine, preventing air leaks, air cleaner,etc.)
chapter 6: Ho to's (tune your clutch, convert from a pull-starter to a bump starter, improve, upgrade, get more speed, store, etc.)
Chapter 7: tips and guides (setting up a radio, trimming a body, more speed for less than $100, etc.)

I bought it on Amazon for 15 dollars...but then I checked again and they were sold between 250 to 400 dollars ??? (I don't get it...i am wondering if it's really the same magazine???)

good luck

Woah I just went to go check on Amazon and it is about $250. Really weird.

While we're into guides...

Actually, while we're into guides, i also found this one it is FREE: it's called "Secrets of...Nitro RC Cars" by Joel Mangilit (2003) at
www.rccartips.com

it is much smaller (22 pages), much less pictures, but it's good.

They are both from 2003, so 5 years old.

I am wondering what has changed if anything within the last 5 years in the Nitro rc world ?

good reading

Thanks for posting the link to that free guide! I was wondering about the Ultimate Nitro Engine Guide as well, but it's at a lot of places for like 15 or 20 bucks. I've been wanting to get some RC DVD's as well, but it's beneath my Savage, T-Maxx, and RC Track on my priority list.

Actually the best off-road tuning guide I have seen is also free. Pages 36-43 (or something) of the Xray XB8 manual. It's a pretty comprehensive guide to tuning an off-road vehicle and while some of the options and how you go about tuning are different from buggy (or truggy) to buggy, the theory is the same. You download it from http://www.rcdocuments.com or from Xray

Actually the best off-road tuning guide I have seen is also free. Pages 36-43 (or something) of the Xray XB8 manual. It's a pretty comprehensive guide to tuning an off-road vehicle and while some of the options and how you go about tuning are different from buggy (or truggy) to buggy, the theory is the same. You download it from http://www.rcdocuments.com or from Xray

Thanks jet that's just what I needed!! I really appreciate the help, and anything else that you know like that off the top of your head I would really appreciate. I would also like to know of any books you can reccomend, I don't mind buying them but there are so many I'd like to hear some good stuff about one before I just start buying them.

The XXX-Main touring car setup guide is pretty good as well for about $20-$25. However, there's some differences in how a car reacts to changes from on-road and off-road. Caster being one of them that I can think of off the top of my not quite awake noggin. It does give you the what-ifs and scenarios though to help you understand how changes affect the car.

I would love to get a touring car, but I don't really have anywhere to run them down here. There is not an on-road track near where I live, and the Louisiana roads are a joke, much less the parking lots. I guess I'm just going to have to save my money and have a huge concrete track poured when I finish my off-road track. The off-road track is easy, I'm just having dump trucks of dirt bought in, but the concrete is another story. If I start saving now, I should be able to buy the concrete in about fifty years. That's figureing that in fifty years the price of concrete doesn't go up, and it's quadrupled in the last few years. Hmmmm, looks like it's just off-road for me until I move!

Back