New Wraith Build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutly stunning man, she looks fan-fu**ing-tastic!!

Thanks buddy, that means a lot coming from you.

Well, I finally sorted through some pics...

Got my CrawlerDad rock lights mounted up

24GreKj.jpg

Got my servo winch mounted up using a second CMS mount (I need some more line). And after a lot of head scratching, I decided to use shock ends for line guides. I simply fishmouthed them first, and they work great so far

6Efwsqc.jpg

HABnS2B.jpg

I once again turned to Al at HeyOK performance for electronics. He built me a custom light controller so I could control both the stock lights, and my high voltage CD lights at the same time. He also built me this nifty little servo toggle switch. Push it towards the rear and I can run the lights, push it forward to run the winch.

udFSaMK.jpg

Seeing as I burnt up the steering servo over Thanksgiving, and I have a bent rear axle shaft somehow, I needed some parts to get it back up and running.

Savox 1270tg and Racer's Edge clamping horn (the Hitec will be sent in for repair)

8qhCROi.jpg

And some custom turned titanium rear axle shafts from CBRB Fab

UIvbDPL.jpg

Last edited:
Been working on the Wraith over the rainy weekend. Turns out, my BEC is fine, the RX bypass harness failed and took out the servo it appears.

I waterproofed both my new servos, and I'm waterproofing my BEC and axial light module now, and it's a slow process as each side has to dry before proceeding. When it's done this time, it should be good to go for winter time fun.

Here's a shot of the light module with the MG silicone conformal coating over it.

U83SEWI.jpg

Last edited:
They make a conformal coating that is used for waterproofing electronics, I just can't remember the name of the stuff we used. I've got an email out to my old employer and should get the reply early next week.

We had two different versions: an aerosol and the other we dipped. It was great stuff that we could inspect for possible weak points in the coating with a black light.

hamz, I'm always open to ideas and better products, thanks!

This is the stuff I used, it's actually made for PCB's, and comes in a 2oz bottle with a brush on applicator that makes it easy to control how much, and where it goes. I've had an old Blue Bird servo in a glass of water for almost a month now with nothing done but coating the board and backside of the pot with this stuff, I even left the case loose and removed the O rings so it would fill with water, it's still kicking.

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/protective-coatings/conformal/silicone-conformal-coating-422b/

Thanks!

Got it all buttoned back up just now, all but one little part that I'll put on tomorrow, I'm done for the night.

Crawler Dad lights are running on 2s, made for 3s, and pics don't do them justice at all

kKon00R.jpg

Rock lights

HFiu1Y8.jpg

Finished the light bar mounts. And, I finally modded my steering column so it was long enough for Sam to reach, so the dash is back in. Lloyd will be thrilled. :D
Also, rather than try and make seat belts and deal with them when I need to take it apart, I put velcro on Sam and the seat, much easier and he hopefully will stay put. Man I've missed the Wraith, I can't wait to get it nasty tomorrow in the mud and muck!!

T2tO4Oo.jpg

Last edited:
Got my sway bar hooked up just now. I was hesitant about this one, but from all my reading they work more like a Currie antirock in a 1:1 than a true anti sway bar does. Static tests are promising; I still have full articulation, but it is much firmer now when rocking the body side to side. About to swap wheels and go get 'er dirty. I'll get some video also.

0PP0YkB.jpg

Last edited:
Lookin good man, I may be mistaken but it looks like your shock shaft retainer cup is blown or came un-done?

Thanks man, I think that one is leaking a bit actually. Having a hard time finding springs for them also for tuning purposes. If I can't locate some then after Christmas I'm going to look into other shock options.

Last edited:
It seemed to help Pete, but it's hard to tell with those tires, the sidewalls roll really badly due the foams that are in them. But, they hook up like crazy that way. I won't know for certain until I run it with the pit bulls.

Well, I put the Losi shocks on the Wraith tonight, and did some suspension tuning. Just got back from a night test run (lights are great BTW :D), and initial results are very promising. I love the look of the G Made shocks, but can't find springs for them, the piggybacks limit mounting options on the Wraith with the rear tray, and the Losi's just plain work.

Front

yellow 2.0lbs springs
25wt oil
three hole red pistons
middle upper mounting hole

Rear

white 1.8lbs springs
25wt oil
three hole red pistons
middle upper mounting hole

The truck rides down into the shock stroke more, and sits much lower, probably 1/2 way or a little more into the travel. I'll get some pics in the daylight next time I'm out.

The Wraith has come around to be more of an ultra 4 rig now than a scale crawler, but man is it fun. :)

d1Cn1Wm.jpg

Wow, looks good, I wondered what a wraith would look like lowered.

Um, where did you get your Da box, and Da Trey? Cause I was just on the flying dutchman site and I can't seem to figure out how to order them.

Last edited:
To get my dads we had to PM user: TheCrawlSpace on RCC. Just search "Da Box for Axial Wraith" on google and it should come up.

Back