New engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnSampson

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm looking at buying a new engine for my nitro 4 tec, I currently have a 3.3.
I have been looking at the 18 TZ (p) T .18 from o.s.
I was wondering does this directly fit into the 3.3 nitro 4 tec mount, and can I attach a pull start to this engine

Do I need to buy anything else for the pull start to fit on

There is an is engine with a pull start but why does it have the propeller attachment to it?

I need help finding a good engine for around $200, that will fit in my nitro 4 tec with either a pull start or roto start

Last edited:
What's wrong with the traxxas 3.3? I had a 4 tech and the 3.3 is plenty. The dynamite .19 is a direct drop in also and it's a little cheaper than the 3.3. You can pick a traxxas 3.3 up for around $130 shipped on ebay or amazon.

nothings wrong with it i want to try some other brand

Oh I gotcha. Dynamite makes a good engine. The losi 3.4 is a direct drop in too. You can put a losi 3.4 carb on the 3.3 and will wake that motor up drastically. I just put one on my jato and I couldn't believe the difference the carb made.

is the losi 3.4 a good engine? does it run well? is it any faster or more powerful?

does the roto start bolt on to the back the HPI one?

Not sure never owned the engine just bought the carb. I have read good things about the engine though. I wouldn't think the roto back plate would be a issue. You may be able to contact the manufacturer and ask them.

will the
18TZ (P) T
os engine work with a
DuraTrax 1/10 & 1/8 Universal Starter Box

losi 3.4 isn't a direct fit ,it needs the crank cut down a touch and may need the block ground to clear the engine mount I'm not 100% for the 4tec but this was the case when I put one into a revo.
the 18tz will fit but will need to be a bump only you can convert it to pull start using 21tm crank and backplate but kinda defeats the purpose as its a bit of a racer engine than the 21tm

Sorry to be the Debbie Downer but If I we're you I would run that 3.3 into the ground before upgrading. Chances are that 3.3 will blow the connecting rod if it lives up to it's reputation. Just my .02 cents.

What are you going to do with the 3.3 engine that you have on there now? Is it in running condition?

i might use it for something else but it runs.
it is pretty busted up on the outside.
the internals are good
there is a bit of a leak between the cooling head and the case and it causes fuel to drip out on to the car

Put a new shim under the head and seal the engine, it will probably run like new