New engine for my savage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Wasp .28 is a beast! It has tons of power and some major RPM. Break-in session was easy and didn't give us any problems. The engine ran every time and she cranked up on the first hit of the rotostart.

It was about 55 degrees out when we did the break-in. So we put two socks on the cooling heat to help get the temps up to a proper level for the heat expansion of the piston/sleeve. Anyway, she ran cool the whole time (around 200-220).

We did the break-in on my savage and everything went great. After break-in we put it on another Savage. This savage has the Hot Bodies extended TVP's and the RDLogics Wheel Spacers. We also put on the 18T CB & 49T Spur.

We didn't even tune the engine for performance (it was still very rich) and she was pulling wheelies all day & night. It is a huge improvement over the stock engine.

I didn't experience any tunig problems w/ her at all. I think people might have problems b/c they didn't seat the carb fully down flush into the crankcase and are experiencing an air leak. I noticed that the when I first put the carb on, it didn't fully seal. So I had to really push down on the carb and hold the pressure on it while I locked the carb in place w/ the screw.

I will definitely recommend the Wasp to anyone. It is a great engine and has more than enough power to handle any savage. Plus, it also has alot higher RPM range than the SH .28. After about 2 seconds, the SH will hit her max RPM of 28K, while the Wasp will still be kicking it and climbing up to 42K. What good is 3.5 horses of torque when you have no RPM to go w/ it?

If you are simply doing tractor pulls and rock climbing and need too much torque, then I would say the SH is good. But if you are into hardcore bashing and moderate racing, then the Wasp .28 would be the overall winner. As I stated earlier, the 2.85 horses that the Wasp throws out is more than enough power to lift the front end w/ ease and give you all the torque you could ever need.

I think the next thing we are going to try on the engine is to put on the new HPI Savage 47T Spur Gear + a 20T CB. And finally maybe upgrade to the new 3-speed tranny when she drops this december.

Overall, my vote goes for the Wasp .28.

------------------------------------------------------

AC48 said:
I am in the process of breaking in my new Wasp .28 and have had no problems except for the pullstarer.

AC48, did you know that you can use the rotostart on the Wasp?

Just take the pullstart & one-way off the Wasp. Then simply bolt the stock S-25 rotostart & one-way onto the Wasp. Then she is ready to go. Only takes a couple of minutes to switch it out. Make sure you use the savage one-way, b/c the Wasp one-way will not work w/ the rotostart backplate.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have use a S-25 pullstarter but that broke too. I have started a thread about this topic in the 1/8th Buggy forum to see what people think I should do, starter box or roto start, I'm tired of pullstarters lol.

Atcually, I think the roto start is a good idea, I think I'll go with that. Much cheaper option than a starter box.

Digital Liquid said:
I will definitely recommend the Wasp to anyone. It is a great engine and has more than enough power to handle any savage. Plus, it also has alot higher RPM range than the SH .28. After about 2 seconds, the SH will hit her max RPM of 28K, while the Wasp will still be kicking it and climbing up to 42K. What good is 3.5 horses of torque when you have no RPM to go w/ it?

If you are simply doing tractor pulls and rock climbing and need too much torque, then I would say the SH is good. But if you are into hardcore bashing and moderate racing, then the Wasp .28 would be the overall winner. As I stated earlier, the 2.85 horses that the Wasp throws out is more than enough power to lift the front end w/ ease and give you all the torque you could ever need.
I plan on running my SH and Wasp side-by-side and prove that the Wasp has no more top end than the SH..I'm just tired of peeps talking trash about engines they don't own.

markallen said:
I plan on running my SH and Wasp side-by-side and prove that the Wasp has no more top end than the SH..I'm just tired of peeps talking trash about engines they don't own.

Sorry to pop your balloon, but let's look at some of the facts:

--- I don't see anywhere in my thread where I "talked trash about the SH". I gave the engine it's props. I merely stated the fact that it is more a torque engine than anything else. Even the manufacturer themselves state the same thing. Here is what SH said, "The SH PT2802A come up with awesome high torque..."

http://www.shengines.com/_private/Engines/sh_engine.htm

Plus, when you look at their specs, you can see that it definitely is an engine designed for torque. 3.5hp @ 28K RPM, has torque written all over it.

--- True, I don't own that particular engine, and am not like you. I can't afford to buy all the .28 engines out on the market (Top .28, Wasp .28, SH .28). So like any consumer would do, who shops around for something to buy, they look at:
-what the manufacturer has to say
-the specs on it
-and opinions from other consumers.

--- This whole thread is all about opinion. The original question of the thread that Kidd25 asked was, which engine he should get. So instead of trying to waste your time attempting to prove to me which engine is better (b/c I have already made my decision and bought my engine).

Why don't you answer his question? Go ahead and list the (+) and (-) for both the Wasp and the SH.

--- As far as watching a video of the two engines running together, doesn't prove anything to me. There are two many variables involved, having the same set-up (servo's, radio, etc..), having the same tuning on both of them, etc...

--- Plus, you already stated that you have problems tuning the Wasp, so watching a video of a poorly tuned Wasp run against a highly tuned SH, doesn't really make any sense to me. :shrug: You are simply wasting your time. If you like, I can make a video of a poorly tuned Wasp getting it's a$$ kicked by a highly tuned .12 engine.

--- So unless you have a dyno machine for both engines, why don't you simply state your opinion and post what you feel are the positive and negatives for both engines. :cheers:

Well said DL. I almost bought the SH, but I wanted more high end so I went for the Wasp .28 for my buggy.

28,000 RPM (claimed - SH .28)
vs.
42,800 RPM (claimed - Wasp .28)

I already have a 24.7 which is my torquey motor so I went for a more high end engine. Anyway, Kidd25 if you want top end speed with decent torque go for the Wasp, and if you want some kick ass torque go with the SH. (IMO)

Digital Liquid said:
Sorry to pop your balloon, but let's look at some of the facts:

--- I don't see anywhere in my thread where I "talked trash about the SH". I gave the engine it's props. I merely stated the fact that it is more a torque engine than anything else. Even the manufacturer themselves state the same thing. Here is what SH said, "The SH PT2802A come up with awesome high torque..."

http://www.shengines.com/_private/Engines/sh_engine.htm

Plus, when you look at their specs, you can see that it definitely is an engine designed for torque. 3.5hp @ 28K RPM, has torque written all over it.

--- True, I don't own that particular engine, and am not like you. I can't afford to buy all the .28 engines out on the market (Top .28, Wasp .28, SH .28). So like any consumer would do, who shops around for something to buy, they look at:
-what the manufacturer has to say
-the specs on it
-and opinions from other consumers.

--- This whole thread is all about opinion. The original question of the thread that Kidd25 asked was, which engine he should get. So instead of trying to waste your time attempting to prove to me which engine is better (b/c I have already made my decision and bought my engine).

Why don't you answer his question? Go ahead and list the (+) and (-) for both the Wasp and the SH.

--- As far as watching a video of the two engines running together, doesn't prove anything to me. There are two many variables involved, having the same set-up (servo's, radio, etc..), having the same tuning on both of them, etc...

--- Plus, you already stated that you have problems tuning the Wasp, so watching a video of a poorly tuned Wasp run against a highly tuned SH, doesn't really make any sense to me. :shrug: You are simply wasting your time. If you like, I can make a video of a poorly tuned Wasp getting it's a$$ kicked by a highly tuned .12 engine.

--- So unless you have a dyno machine for both engines, why don't you simply state your opinion and post what you feel are the positive and negatives for both engines. :cheers:

Very nice post..I didn't mean to step on any toes.But well said..Opinions are like something else we all have one.But you telling him to buy the Wasp .28 is just your opinion.My engine of choice would be the Top .28.They have killer bottom end and top end ..The 8 port has major top end..My Top only cost me $180 so it's right in-line price wise with the SH and Wasp.And the quality is outstanding..But again I didn't mean to upset you DL..Please forgive me... :)

Where did you get a Top .28 for 180$? That sounds like an awsome deal!

right now if there still going for 180$ the top .28 is THE choice of engine to get out of those three, normal street price for those engines is 240$+ but the dealer on ebay was clearencing them (and p5's for 219$!) due to a supplier change. just do a search for top/rex/nova .28 on ebay.

BTW it is very true most r/c'ers ino the market will look at the manufactueres specs when buying an engine. i only wish that method was more reliable, as I've owned engines that had supsoedly less rpm than other engines, much less on paper actually, but spun up to much higher speeds than the higher spec'ed engine.
but when it comes to nitro engines the variables are such a huge factor, so any argument is basically nullified.

were did you get it from and how much do they go for

Mark@Derby said:
i have the lrp z.28r engine .. thats the same as the SH.28 .. and i would say its deffo got lots more power that my picco p3 .. i was only running in my lrp and not even tuned it and it was flipping my savage .. ...
(sliding clutch)

Mark

Back