New Engine, car won't handle.....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V6king

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Like some of you know I just got the OS 18 installed and this thing is running absolutely AMAZING, so fast is uncontrallable... I noticed that when I gun it actual looses traction and goes off to one side, I have upgraded springs for more grip but should I change my camber settings etc... Also, I have a rear wheel that wobbles a bit, any ideas what could cause this....

Thanks,

Juan Perez

most likely it is the tires your running and the mill combined together ,if they are the HPI stockers then they are kinda hard to start with so traction will be an issue esp with the .18 ,you could try foam tires they are a lot softer but not recommended for outside use but they do hook up really well .
harder springs ?
i am thinking you went the wrong way ,i am thinking a hard spring will not allow the suspension to work properly and keep the chassis too stiff which in turn will not allow the tire to lean \ / to keep the contact patch on the ground ,i may be very wrong but it makes sense if you think about it

tire wobbling issue make sure that your hex is seated properly and the pin is all the way inside the hex or it will tighten down but it will be wobbly ,or the tire may have become unglued from the wheel,rim could be broken ,there are a few possibilities that could cause the wobble

Last edited:
you are experiencing torque steer on pickup. the torque from the engine is causing a loss of traction from the rear tires. try going up a tooth on your pinion.

maybe you shouldnt gun it lol
I'm abit of a noob in the engine department, i know how to run in and everything but the numbers i dont understand.
Why does a .18 go really fast? I thought say a 25 would go much quicker, or a .21?
Someone explain please. Also if you loosened the back suspention it would make more of that torque be used to compress the suspention, that means less torque steer.
Also you could toe-in the back wheels slightly, doing so gives more traction, but makes sterring abit harder and wears the treads down more.

kurtf5 said:
maybe you shouldnt gun it lol
I'm abit of a noob in the engine department, i know how to run in and everything but the numbers i dont understand.
Why does a .18 go really fast? I thought say a 25 would go much quicker, or a .21?
Someone explain please. Also if you loosened the back suspention it would make more of that torque be used to compress the suspention, that means less torque steer.
Also you could toe-in the back wheels slightly, doing so gives more traction, but makes sterring abit harder and wears the treads down more.

because a car that one would normally put a .18 into is usually considerably lighter than a car that would fit a .21 or .25. also, the more expensive engines (think novarossi or rex) have much tighter tolerances and basically have as much power as possible squeezed out of them. kind of like a toyota engine vs a ferrari engine.

so what your saying is the smaller the engine, the better?

No, what he is saying is that it all depends on what your situation is. Some engines have extreme low end power, but lack up top, and some have opposite. But when you get into the Higher quality engines will have more power all over.

Also .10-.18 sized engines are considered small block engines which run in a vehicle made specifically for a small block...IE T-Maxx, Revo, stadium trucks, and 1/10 onroad cars.

.21-.32 engines are big blocks are are made to go into 1/8 scale buggies, larger moster trucks, and 1/8 scale onroad cars.

is the engine in the savage 25 limited edition good quality?
Also the thunder tiger T-15, is that any good?

They are descent engines, but by no means are they the best. They are good entry level engines, but if your going to be raceing I would upgrade.

kurtf5 said:
so what your saying is the smaller the engine, the better?

the basic rule of thumb is the bigger engines are more reliable and easy to tune, while the smaller engines are more finicky. however, as anyone who has used both can attest, there are small engines that require pretty much zero tuning to get running, and there are big engines that are almost impossible to get running right.

vbgagnon said:
They are descent engines, but by no means are they the best. They are good entry level engines, but if your going to be raceing I would upgrade.

From your point of view, what would you consider a racing level engine?

mnm said:
From your point of view, what would you consider a racing level engine?

any engine that costs more than $350 :rolleyes:

sorry had to do it, please dont mind me

retarded pilot said:
any engine that costs more than $350 :rolleyes:

sorry had to do it, please dont mind me

lol, there are a lot of engines that cost 350+ that aren’t fit for racing though. :smoke:

All my racing engines are in that range.

Diver6127 said:
All my racing engines are in that range.
What engines do you own? Which engine Manufacturer would you recommend for racing when price isn’t an issue?

Most of mine are .12 onroad engines. Mugen X12, Maxmod .12, Novarossi NS12S3A1. For my buggy it's a .21 Sirio Kanai Evo2 and a Rex P5.

For any car (off and onroad), any novabased italaian engine is good. Different manufacturers place the power on different points of the power band with crank and porting. Rex, Top, Novarossi, Mugen, JP, RB, Maxpower ... all are good and make .12 engines and up. For touring 3 ports is the maximum allowed for race legal engines. For offroad and onroad 1/8's, .21's is the limit in size.

If price isn't an issue, get any one of those race legal engines and get them modified with full option. This can range from $350-$500 for .12's and $500+ for the BB .21 engines. Uriah Murnan, Jim Hottinger, Massimo Fantini, Rody Roem, Carlsen ... these are highly sought after modifiyers. They have different levels of modification. Jim Hottinger is the protege of the late Ron Paris. Also check for "factory tuned" engines. Rex, Top and Maxpower have these engines. Maxpower uses Massimo Fantini as an "inhouse tuner." Novarossi does the same with Jim Hottinger.

I only use nova based engines.

What diver said....I would throw OS and collari into the mix as well.