Need help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm venturing to say that they are no longer manufacturing the Savage with the set screw being put in half-ass. So I think it will only be the first generation owners that eperienced this. Also, the uprights have been modified along with the turnbuckles.

As with ANYTHING brand new, changes are made. I'm just happy to hear that HPI is doing them QUICKLY.

Honestly, I dont know of any .21 or bigger that is easy to break in. Being nitro, you really need to have a complete understanding of break-in procedures. If for some reason you think or feel the idle is too high, then crank it down. No two engines will be tuned exactly the same way. Factory settings are just a baseline and can be changed.

At the bottom of this gallery you can see the Green Permatex with the tip extension that I used to lock that set screw in. There was absolutely no need to take the tranny apart using this. Patience and a little bit of common sense will allow you to do this without trashing anything.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/49865299/58964813iMRcbI

http://community.webshots.com/photo/49865299/58964867aCIqAx

http://community.webshots.com/photo/49865299/58964676HaQyjw

This works VERY well!

Last but not least, have some fine tip q-tips around or just trim down a regular q-tip in order to clean any spillage or extra off from inside the setscrew area. You dont want anything except the set screw to be lok-tite down.

-Chris

I wonder if the green thread lock is new. I've never seen that before, but then again there are a lot of things I've never seen. I agree with what you're saying about HPI taking care of business, I think thier web forums are helping them to resolve thier problems. I just really wish that the engine on the Savage put out a lot more power, compared to my OS RG, the .21BB is pretty weak. Even with a tuned pipe, I still am not impressed with it's preformance. I can't wait to see it with the Hyper 8-port that's on order, I hear it's almost too much power!

Nitropower, my savage makes a quick rev after it shifts into second its almost like the tranny slips after it gets into second gear. I think I need to adjust the shift point some more because it revs quick then shifts to second and while in second coming down my street wide open it seems to top out or not pull anymore. Do you thing a shift adjustment would help this? I guess my engine is ok I was just a little worried I killed some of its life expectance by running those high rpm trying to get it to shift when I first got the truck after break in. I broke the truck in on some good 20% with 18% oil and now I am running 20% with 14% oil, surely this was enough lubrication to protect the parts during those few high rpm runs. What do you guys think? I will have to run some more fuel through it and see how it performs, I might change the engine if i am not pleased with its performance. I want the Force .25 or the hyper .21 8 port engine, I just think you can't go wrong with a Hyper. I'm tellin you my .21 Hyper T-maxx will burn all four tires on pavement and ride wheelies all the way down my street, its fast. Thanks for all your help, as always have fun. I tried to post a photo of my maxx and savage but it was too large, I will take a smaller res photo and post later.

Cap

I doubt you caused much harm to the engine, a way to tell is when it has been running and it's hot, turn over the flywheel with your finger. If it has a good amount of compression when it hot, that will tell you a lot. I would go with the Hyper 8-port over the P4 Ofna .25, the little addition of displacement is not as important as the extra ports. I think it's more marketing than anything, the pro's don't ever talk about the .25 engines in different forums I've seen. Don't know for sure which is best though. As for the shifting of your truck, I'm not sure if you're having trouble with it shifting late or too soon. Please explain a bit differently what trouble you are having, after reading your post I'm not sure what you were saying.

What I mean about the tranny shift point is the engine seems as if it does not build enough rpm before it shifts to second. It kinda jumps of the line for a sec, revs but not very high before it shifts into second. Once the truck hits second it kinda revs for a fraction of a second as if the tranny slips, is this normal with this truck? I know that my t-maxx stays in first for a little while longer before it hits second and it does not do any quick rev as if it is slipping. The motor seems to build more rpm in first before it shifts, but I know I cannot compare these as they are two different trucks. Probably have different gear setups. The only thing my concern is how much more rpm do I need to let it build in first before it shifts? I guess I need to get it to the point that it does not pull in first anymore then make it shift right before that. What do you think? The engine still seems to have quite a bit of compression. I cannot manually spin the flywheel as it is to tough. The pullstart seems to have some resistance as well. Probably is ok. Well thanks for the info.

CAP

Adjust your shiftpoint, 90 degrees at a time. Follow the book to the letter. Just make sure you dont adjust the set screw that hold the spindle by accident. The hole should look like it was drilled at an angle, then you know you have the right one.

Pullstart stiff to pull = good compression
Pullstart impossible to pull = flooded tank

Hope this helps.

-Chris

Christian thanks for your input on this. The pull start does pull kinda stiff but not flooded, i do know what flooded feels like, almost cannot pull it at all. I will continue shift point adjustments.

Thanks

savage

i fixed it i screw waz lose in the gear box thank u every1

i fixed it, a screw in the gear box, and i try to send a pic and it say's it is to big how do i make it smaller thank u every 1 for helpin

Alright damnet, I'm confused. When I look into the hole and rotate the gear I see one screw, not two. I find the first and when I rotate to try and see the 2nd, The cover over them turns and I only get to see the one so I can't tell which one I'm looking at. GRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!! SavageMan, if you get the chance, post that pic or urs maybe it will help and anyone else that can help me I'd appreciate it, thanks.

cwc2k1

what you need to do is turn the spur gear while holding one wheel and the opening thru the black looking in the tranny will come around and you need to stop it there. Then hold your spur gear and rotate your wheels and this will bring by the first then second screw that you need to adjust for shifting point. If you are seeing the first hole you just need to hold tight the spur gear and only rotate the wheels to get the tranny drum to turn displaying the second screw threw the hole. If you only rotate the wheels without holding tight the spur gear it to will turn causing the tranny drum and the black cover to turn as well making you looose a visual on any screw, All you will see is black thru the hole. Hope this helps.

CAP

acales

acales is right i will send a pic but i dont no how to make it smaller it says this pic is to big to attach. i just tryed to send a pic and this is wat it said "The image that you have attached is too big. Please make it no bigger than 480 x 480."