Need help asap

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomie

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi I'm kinda stuck I turned my 4wd drift RC car to rwd and now all it wants to do is circles how can I fix it so it's easier to control?

Gyro or return it back to 4wd or both
A gyro is not the only way to tame a 2wd RC 😉

Or wait, is it spinning the wheels and doing circles? Or is one wheel spinning and causing it to do circles?

Last edited:
Put lighter diff fluid in.

Welcome to the forum.
I read that as "put lighter fluid in it" :eek: 🤣

just before dawn fire GIF

I read that as "put lighter fluid in it" :eek: 🤣

just before dawn fire GIF
That is extremely funny, because when I read what you quoted from me I was like "what the hell am I telling someone to put lighter fluid in??!"

It takes a lot of skill to run 2WD, I would consider switching back to 4WD and focus on a more aggressive setup with the 4WD to get a better balance.

More than likely, it will be a lot let less work to buy a 2WD kit that was designed to be 2WD so you don't have to create parts to get the car in the correct geometry range for 2WD tuning.

Here's a tuning chart to help you make the changes you need

Good Luck!

1673886473717.png

It takes a lot of skill to run 2WD, I would consider switching back to 4WD and focus on a more aggressive setup with the 4WD to get a better balance.

More than likely, it will be a lot let less work to buy a 2WD kit that was designed to be 2WD so you don't have to create parts to get the car in the correct geometry range for 2WD tuning.

Here's a tuning chart to help you make the changes you need

Good Luck!

View attachment 158455
Correct me if I'm wrong but dont 4WD drift cars have less steering angle than their 2WD counter parts? If so that could be one reason for it spinning out easier

Correct me if I'm wrong but dont 4WD drift cars have less steering angle than their 2WD counter parts? If so that could be one reason for it spinning out easier
Yes, there are a myriad of different things that need to be done for a modern 2WD drifter to work but yes the steering throw is a big one, also note the location of the motor and battery where the vast majority of the weight is on the rear with a 10/90 weight bias:

2WD example:
1673894518767.png

4WD Example which is comparing apples to oranges far too many geometric differences to make it easy to convert a 4WD into 2WD and expect it handle reasonably, both these cars are from the same brand (Yokomo) and are pretty much 90% different parts between them where 4WD is more of a 50/50 weight bias, they are worlds apart:

1673894720313.png

Yes, there are a myriad of different things that need to be done for a modern 2WD drifter to work but yes the steering throw is a big one, also note the location of the motor and battery where the vast majority of the weight is on the rear with a 10/90 weight bias:

2WD example:
View attachment 158464

4WD Example which is comparing apples to oranges far too many geometric differences to make it easy to convert a 4WD into 2WD and expect it handle reasonably, both these cars are from the same brand (Yokomo) and are pretty much 90% different parts between them where 4WD is more of a 50/50 weight bias, they are worlds apart:

View attachment 158465
Thanks for that info. I can see from the pics that they are indeed set up drastically different. I recently bought a 4WD and a 2WD drift car. I'm hoping to play around with them when the weather gets warmer. Not sure which route I wanted to go so I got an MST 2WD and a cheap Yokomo Type C drift clone just to try them out. Once I figure out if I like 2WD or 4WD better I plan on buying a higher end Yokomo of that type.

Question. For starters would you say 13.5T or 17.5T?

Thanks for that info. I can see from the pics that they are indeed set up drastically different. I recently bought a 4WD and a 2WD drift car. I'm hoping to play around with them when the weather gets warmer. Not sure which route I wanted to go so I got an MST 2WD and a cheap Yokomo Type C drift clone just to try them out. Once I figure out if I like 2WD or 4WD better I plan on buying a higher end Yokomo of that type.

Question. For starters would you say 13.5T or 17.5T?

I am far from a drifter expert, but I have just enough experience to share what I've learned.

Unfortunately the RWD drifter phase popped into the picture after I lost interest in drifting so I can't share much feedback there, I did test early 2WD's and they were definitely more difficult to control. Tire selection and throttle control are VERY important and this compounds even more so with 2WD where the 4WD's are far more forgiving.

I found it best to use a 2CH gyro (both steering and throttle governed on 4CH radio) with the gain somewhere between 7% to no more than 15% and it needed to be adjusted based on traction for a given surface when going from a prepped asphalt to concrete, etc...

I only ran with a 27T brushed motor which was plenty of power, so if I were to go brushless I would say 25.5T would be perfect... slower is faster with drifting, when you spin the wheels too fast is when you spin out of control, at least that was the case for me. Also, with a 25.5T motor you will gain efficiency to get even longer run times where my 27T brushed motor would typically go about 45 min on a single charge.

Experiment with various compounds of drift tires where rubber tires perform way better than hard plastic... if you want decent performance then don't skimp out on quality tires.

Of course I couldn't resist with cheap PVC tires I made from PVC coupling from the hardware store to convert my 1/8 buggy into a drifter, ha!

I am far from a drifter expert, but I have just enough experience to share what I've learned.

Unfortunately the RWD drifter phase popped into the picture after I lost interest in drifting so I can't share much feedback there, I did test early 2WD's and they were definitely more difficult to control. Tire selection and throttle control are VERY important and this compounds even more so with 2WD where the 4WD's are far more forgiving.

I found it best to use a 2CH gyro (both steering and throttle governed on 4CH radio) with the gain somewhere between 7% to no more than 15% and it needed to be adjusted based on traction for a given surface when going from a prepped asphalt to concrete, etc...

I only ran with a 27T brushed motor which was plenty of power, so if I were to go brushless I would say 25.5T would be perfect... slower is faster with drifting, when you spin the wheels too fast is when you spin out of control, at least that was the case for me. Also, with a 25.5T motor you will gain efficiency to get even longer run times where my 27T brushed motor would typically go about 45 min on a single charge.

Experiment with various compounds of drift tires where rubber tires perform way better than hard plastic... if you want decent performance then don't skimp out on quality tires.

Of course I couldn't resist with cheap PVC tires I made from PVC coupling from the hardware store to convert my 1/8 buggy into a drifter, ha!

Reminds of of the time Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond tried to make their cars into drifters by slicing up PVC trash cans and using the segments as covers on their tires 🤣

Thanks for the info. Ill have to check my electronics drawer but I think I have a Reedy 25.5T in there. I have a Tekin 17.5T so I guess Ill give that a try if I dont.

Some of the guys I used to hang out with did the PVC trick with their MTs :)