My Xmaxx rebuild

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrgoodwrench35

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
I've had my Xmaxx for almost 3 years now. Hands down its my favorite RC. It's seen a lot of abuse, a lot of dirt, mud, skate park bashing, general chaos really. It's been airborne for at least half It's life. I'd bet it sees more air than some of yalls planes.

Needless to say, all that abuse has taken its toll. A recent crash bent a shock shaft and finished off an already weak bulkhead. Instead of repairing the damage, I decided to completely rebuild it. A fresh Xmaxx! I'm super excited. Thought I'd share some of the process with the group.

20240504_160302.jpg

20240504_160310.jpg

The parts have been rolling in via the big brown truck for the last few weeks. He's been here enough lately he knows my dogs name.

It already had a lot of aftermarket goodies and I think this batch covers the rest. Got fresh plastic from Jenny's and a pile of M2C goodies.

The M2C shock safts look tough! I decided they were too nice to put in the old shock so I went with a new set. I like blue better anyway.

20240504_205403.jpg

20240511_124157.jpg

Got the shocks built last night. Used GPM aluminum caps and I'm going to start with 80w oil.

I started assembling the rear bulkhead. Fresh diff with 500k 'fluid'. Trying some vitavon diff cups this time around. I had factory cups before and they don't last very long.

Attachments

• 20240511_131420.jpg
    20240511_131420.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240511_145830.jpg
    20240511_145830.jpg
    622.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240511_150043.jpg
    20240511_150043.jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Had to remove a small amount of plastic from the chassis to make room for the M2C rear motor support brace.

20240511_192432.jpg

20240511_192459.jpg

20240511_192540.jpg

Didn't notice until I posted I had the motor mount sitting in the chassis upside down. I blame Coors light

That's better

I decided to try M2C's gear mesh adjustment system. I'm not sure I have much faith in the 3d printed adjuster brace. I'd prefer it was aluminum but we'll see how it holds up.

I probably won't get much further with it until next weekend. Got some mothers day stuff to deal with today. I'll keep updating with pics as I go. Feel free to critique or offer any advice.

Attachments

• 20240511_192540.jpg
    20240511_192540.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240511_201756.jpg
    20240511_201756.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240511_202119.jpg
    20240511_202119.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I went with traxxas factory arms. I've used RPM previously and I gotta say, I wasn't impressed. They are way too pliable when warm and after running outside in any kind of warm temps, the upper arms get so soft I end up with severely negative camber.
20240512_131034.jpg

Does this count as a build thread? I'm bannerless and kinda sad about it.

I went with a 56kg perfect pass 10th scale. I've been running the metal gear traxxas servo and it's held up ok, but a little weak and slow. I have my doubts how well a small servo will work but a lot of people seem to go that route. Time will tell I guess.

20240509_180423.jpg

I've had my Xmaxx for almost 3 years now. Hands down its my favorite RC. It's seen a lot of abuse, a lot of dirt, mud, skate park bashing, general chaos really. It's been airborne for at least half It's life. I'd bet it sees more air than some of yalls planes.

Needless to say, all that abuse has taken its toll. A recent crash bent a shock shaft and finished off an already weak bulkhead. Instead of repairing the damage, I decided to completely rebuild it. A fresh Xmaxx! I'm super excited. Thought I'd share some of the process with the group.

View attachment 189802

View attachment 189803

The parts have been rolling in via the big brown truck for the last few weeks. He's been here enough lately he knows my dogs name.

It already had a lot of aftermarket goodies and I think this batch covers the rest. Got fresh plastic from Jenny's and a pile of M2C goodies.

The M2C shock safts look tough! I decided they were too nice to put in the old shock so I went with a new set. I like blue better anyway.

View attachment 189804

View attachment 189805

Got the shocks built last night. Used GPM aluminum caps and I'm going to start with 80w oil.

I started assembling the rear bulkhead. Fresh diff with 500k 'fluid'. Trying some vitavon diff cups this time around. I had factory cups before and they don't last very long.
Awesome build i hope to see more of your truck since i did mine this week. Here's mine https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/cjs-ultimate-x-maxx-8s-blue-maxxine-build-thread.142194/ But i put mine mostly back to stock with a few small updates and upgrades since i couldn't afford any big aftermarket parts this time around. But in the next few months i'll start upgrading mine more. Next for mine will be a new Ultimate or Rock n roll stock body then some Traxxas aluminum upgrades straight from an X-Maxx Ultimate like the diff housings, rear gear cover, shock caps and collars, Tube toe links, Pro-Line shock shafts and many other upgrades but i have to try and balance my funding since i plan to save for a 5ive-T 2.0 i plan to hopefully get next year.

Just go to profile page and link this thread in the buildvthread box, great build!

Awesome build i hope to see more of your truck since i did mine this week. Here's mine https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/cjs-ultimate-x-maxx-8s-blue-maxxine-build-thread.142194/ But i put mine mostly back to stock with a few small updates and upgrades since i couldn't afford any big aftermarket parts this time around. But in the next few months i'll start upgrading mine more. Next for mine will be a new Ultimate or Rock n roll stock body then some Traxxas aluminum upgrades straight from an X-Maxx Ultimate like the diff housings, rear gear cover, shock caps and collars, Tube toe links, Pro-Line shock shafts and many other upgrades but i have to try and balance my funding since i plan to save for a 5ive-T 2.0 i plan to hopefully get next year.
Great idea and build! Keep the x maxx light to break less, and save for the five t! It's a hole different animal and great fun. I love mine but also love my x maxx, took things a little past my first personal set limits (couldn't follow my own advice) so that's how I know it breaks more when way past stock. 5t can be used out of the box or endlessly upgraded. Have fun eighter way

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/xmaxx-uprade-to-max-5-g2-56118-800kv.141056/

Last edited:
Yeah, just copy the link to this thread into your build thread link box in your profile.

It's cool watching this one go together!

Got a few more bits today. Still waiting for the motor fan and a bumper.

View attachment 190179
Good up grade for sure! But be careful how tight you ajust the servo saver spring, with bigger grippy tires( j concepts magmas) I found the steering was light and needed to slow to get steering, no problem I thought , just give a few turns to the saver and viola! I stripped the servo horn first run, then the servo gears next!

Good up grade for sure! But be careful how tight you ajust the servo saver spring, with bigger grippy tires( j concepts magmas) I found the steering was light and needed to slow to get steering, no problem I thought , just give a few turns to the saver and viola! I stripped the servo horn first run, then the servo gears next!
Good info thank you! I'll probably run the Duratrax six packs that I have but I considered trying a set of the new belted factory tires. Anybody have any experience with these yet?

Any suggestions on what toe links to use? I'm guessing the aluminum ones bend pretty easy so should I just stick to factory?

I put traxxas 7075 links on x maxx , but the steel link between the aluminum and plastic breaks when you break a hinge pin, they are available separately, have treal links on my xrt, I seem to be getting some loose in the ball ends. Not sure what the magic solution is but stock plastic are so cheap it is easy to change... depends on how often you crash land

Good luck with the build

Back