My revo build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitluver52

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Been following ausher and ozziii on their builds. I'm new to nitro but love every minute of it. Bought a used 2.5 last year and ran it til it blew. And have now undertaken my own build. I replaced 2.5 with os .21tm and a ths pipe and motorsaver filter. Figured while its cold ill build truck up for spring. Have a few questions:

1. I have an foc on the way but unsure about no failsafe without opti. Can I install foc and still use opti for failsafe with sensor for tranny unplugged with my current rx? I have original radio or do I need to upgrade to 2.4?

2. I just bash because no tracks around and am currently running 15/40. I want wheelies and still a little top end. Should I drop to 38 spur? And on my clutchbell I have small play between cb and end of shaft. Is that how it should be or should I be tight against clip on end of shaft?

Thanks in advance. I'm pumped about the hobby and can't wait to get the truck ready.
I post from my phone and pics are on my phone. How can I add them to post. Don't want links to pic I want actual pics on post.

---------- Post added at 9:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:31 PM ----------

picture.php

---------- Post added at 9:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:44 PM ----------

picture.php

---------- Post added at 9:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:49 PM ----------

picture.php

I say if you're going to drop the money on a nice new motor and pipe why not drop the money on a nice new 2.4ghz radio system as well. I'm using the spectrum dx3c and so far it's been great for bashing and at around $130 its got a great price to. You can get them cheaper than that to.

I have been looking at new radio. Do both the traxxas 2.4 and spectrum both have failsafes? And what gearing are you running?

The Spektrum definitely has one. I have been running Spektrum since I first got my Revo many years ago. I'm currently running a 2nd gen DX3s on mine. Not sure about the Traxxas.

I dropped about 600 in my big block build and running an am futaba that's about 20 years old:\

I don't have a revo, I got a losi aftershock running stock gearing.

Think ill be ordering a dx3c. Soon. Looks like a nice radio. Can anyone help with clutchbell and gearing issue?

I'm using 16/38 gears on mine with the a stock 3.3 &pipe. Mine wheelies on demand & still has good top end speed. I don't think you will have a problem running that set up with 21tm.

welcome to rcnt.and looks like the start.you can run jato cb/spur gears.the 16t cb and the 50t spur gear will work perfect for wheelies.i have the extended rear arms and on the back hole mine pulls wheelies at will.but you have too get the bearings for the cb.i have ran 16t cb/54t spur but i had too shim the trans up a lil.

Sounds great. Should my cb be tight against the clip on crank? Cuz I can move mine back and forth a 1/16th or so.

Sold my Spectrum on Ebay after I tried a flysky 2.4.Don't get me wrong,Spectrum is a nice radio.But I have a lot of RC'S and the price to practicability is just obvious.Paid $40 for new transmitter and $7 for every reciever.Started out on the old gt3,just recently updated to the gt3c.I bought the transmitter and 10 recievers for a fraction of the price of the Spectrum..Best part the recievers work with new transmitter.Actually it is the best radio for the money I have ever used.I have a Revo with a .26JL modded and run 17/36,053 side pipe.Perfect combination for me..You can get just about anything to wheelie if the suspension is hard enough.As for opti drive,I would rip that out and install a foc.With that .21 you will be able to wheelie with just about any combination,depending on suspension set up, soft-hard scale.Try a 16/38.I think anything higher than a 38sg and you are just going to rev to high and no speed at top end.

Last edited:
This is a pic of the flysky radio's.

Last edited:
I went with the same engine/pipe combo as you. Waiting until spring to break it in.

I went with the same engine/pipe combo as you. Waiting until spring to break it in.
I just burned a few tanks in the yard putting a good tune on it. Been raining ever since I broke it in. Was getting really high temps with the lc3 plug that cake with motor. But changed to lc4 plug to bring temps down and this thing is a monster!!! I love it!! Just finished foc and this thing wheelies everywhere. Big change from 2.5. Lol can't wait to spend a day tearin it up.

Learned the importance of loctite today!!! Two screws on motor mount backed out today and allowed the cb to shear of all the teeth on my spur. Oh well wanted a new one anyway!! Haha.

Will the traxxas engine brace fit on a 2.5 chassis?

Yep ;). The front of the 3.3 chassis was lengthened so the part of the chassis from behind the steering servos remained the same on the 2.5 and 3.3 chassis.

Yep ;). The front of the 3.3 chassis was lengthened so the part of the chassis from behind the steering servos remained the same on the 2.5 and 3.3 chassis.

Thanks ausher. That's what I thought but wanted to make sure before I ordered it. Aren't you running the losi 8ight clutch? I'm running the stock one now but think I'm gonna get that next week..:D

When I turn over my motor there is a clacking sound that I never noticed with my old motor. What could it be?

Back