My Mini-T dilema

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmob

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Well I received the Mini-T I won from the lottery here at RCNT and I have a dilema. It has been sitting there in the box for almost 2 weeks and I just don't know if I want to keep it. I opened the box and looked at it. It is the blue one. Cute little thing. Never took it out of its packaging though. I am getting ready to start my Savage SS build and could use the extra money on servos/reciever if I sold the Mini. I have even taken the digi pics and wrote up the listing for ebay. Just can't decide whether to part with it. If I had not won one here, I most likely would not have bought one.

For all you that have one and have used it. Do you see it as a something you will always bust out and run? Or do you see it is a novelty and great now, but next year it just sits there collecting dust?

Do you get the itch to run while its raining outside?
Do you have a place or the space to run it indoors?
Do you have 15.00 for a better battery?
Do people come over and want to run your RCs?

If you answered yes to one or more of these questions think about keeping it.

-Ed

Originally posted by robmob
For all you that have one and have used it. Do you see it as a something you will always bust out and run? Or do you see it is a novelty and great now, but next year it just sits there collecting dust?

With all my RC's, there have been times when they've all sat and collected dust....especially when I get a new one. But eventually I come around to each of them again. For me it's a cycle. I've got a couple of RC's I wouldn't mid selling, but it's tough for me to do that because I know that eventually there will be a time when I'll get it out again and have a blast with it.
If the Mini-T doesn't interest you that much, why'd you buy the lottery ticket for it? If the Mini-T just doesn't interest you and you wont really enjoy it then hock it for something you will get use out of. But if you can find ways to have fun with it then keep the cute little booger.

I love to work on my nitros when it rains or I go down to the local indoor dirt track.

I do have the space to run indoors. All hardwood too.

Money is not an issue.

The one time a friend wanted to run one. I let him cut his teeth on my Losi Junior T electric. He of course was thinking Tyco RC. What he got was a ball of lightning he promptly lost control of and slammed into the curb. Took out the front bulkhead and snapped the shock mount. He has not asked to run one since.

Guess that is like 2.5 questions answered yes.

Originally posted by GilBeQuick

With all my RC's, there have been times when they've all sat and collected dust....especially when I get a new one. But eventually I come around to each of them again. For me it's a cycle. I've got a couple of RC's I wouldn't mid selling, but it's tough for me to do that because I know that eventually there will be a time when I'll get it out again and have a blast with it.
If the Mini-T doesn't interest you that much, why'd you buy the lottery ticket for it? If the Mini-T just doesn't interest you and you wont really enjoy it then hock it for something you will get use out of. But if you can find ways to have fun with it then keep the cute little booger.

Shoot, it does not matter what the lottery prize is here. I would still buy at least one ticket. At one time I did want the Mini-T. If it had came before Xmas, (my ticket was drawn in mid december) I would have busted it right open then proceeded to hop the thing up with all the good chit. But I have since decided on the SS project and that is where my interest is now.

I think I will just keep it and see if the mini bug bites after I get the SS completed.

It's a cool little toy.

And I see it as a toy.

I don't have space to run indoors.

And I could buy hopups for it but I'd rather direct my efforts elsewhere.

Eddy's last question has me thinkin', though... That's the controller to give to someone when they wanna try your RC.

I have my savage, I have my t maxx, I have my nitro sport. When I'm sitting here reading the stuff everybody posts on here at 1 am and I get the itch to drive something, I find it hard to get out one of the above mentioned so I break out the mini t. For one, if I got out one of the gas cars and ran it outside the neigbors would freak. If I started it in the house I would either die from the exhaust or my wife would kill me. The only thing left is the mini t. As for room, I live in an apartment. Not alot of room, but enough to have a little fun.

So, I understand you like your nitro stuff, but you just can't drive them when your sitting on the shitter.

I can't tell you how may time people come over and want to run an RC. Everyone knows its my hobby and I have several of them at any given time. At time some have hard feelings when I say no. Once they have tried the Mini-T they understand there not the same as a Barby car. If they have a feel for driving, they have a blast. If they have no clue how to drive it gets it out of their system and they never ask again.

I play with mine at work in the warehouse or at my retail store on the carpet. It runs for 45 minutes on a charge and I usually drive it for 5-10 minutes at a time so its always ready to go when I get a brake.

It much better than a Radio Shack RC but no replacement for a "Real" RC.

I am going to keep it. I was looking at it the wrong way. I would have to get all the SS stuff even if I never got the mini. For the 9 bucks I bought it for, I can't go wrong.

Like Ed posted on another thread, I am going to pick up the batt, bearings and shocks and have at it. I have a cat and a dog I can chase around.

i love my mini, we have a fairly hard packed basement in my building and i bring it down there a few times a week to get away for a little bit and it is a blast chasing the cats around the apt with it, the look in their face when they realized there was a new 'toy' and the zipzap had gone into early retirement. it is also great for getting cats to move if you have some lazy ass cats who dont like to get off your chair etc, just turn it on pull the trigger a few times and woosh off to hide under the bed hehe.

Also i have been seeing some killer hopups coming out the past few weeks so I am sure there is only more to come :)

I've always wanted to resurrect a nine-year-old thread.

Hi all! Long time - no type.

I haven't been doing the nitro thing because life was getting in the way. I moved not too long ago and I recently happened upon a very seldom-opened box. One of the treasures in it was my Team Losi Mini-T.

I put some NiMH 2500mAh batteries in it. I soldered Deans Ultra plugs into it. Found my Great Planes Electrifly Triton charger and soldered a Deans plug to banana plugs so I can charge the batteries w/o even removing the shell. It still runs great.

I believe the stock motor in that thing is classified as a 540?

Does anyone still have theirs and can I still buy a faster motor for it?

-Dave

edit: Oh yeah... This was in the box too: https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15259

Last edited:
It's either a 270 or 380 motor, but I think it's a 270. I know quite a few people changed the stock to ESC/motor to a Castle Creations Mamba Micro Pro and a 6900kV motor. They also had to change out the RX and servo top a standard 3-wire servo.

Good reply, Ham. Thank you. I Googled "Castle Creations Mamba Micro Pro" and this was the first hit:

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/mamba_micro_pro.html

They don't mention the servo, just the motor and ESC. It appears their package for $99.86 includes only the motor and ESC.

I've been outta this game for a while... any help at is very much appreciated. I live in a metropolitan area so Tacoma, Wa LHS's are definiteley an option.

-Dave

Unfortunately the RX and ESC are a single integrated unit on that rig I believe, and the servo may even be a Losi 5-wire. The setup to get would be a castle sidewinder/6800, Hitec 65MG servo, and a cheap 2.4 RX/TX setup like the FlySky unit from Hobbypartz which is a fabulous radio, comes with 2 receivers, and is less than 40 bucks.

The HiTec 645 may not fit. On my RC-18t and -18r I have to use a HiTec HS-86HB. The standard sized servos are a bit big for a mini. I use the Mamba Micro Pro and the 6800kV motor in my RC-18's and they are monsters on 6-cell packs and even worse on 2s LiPo. 3s LiPos destroy drive-line parts. It's eaten several MIP super diffs. I also mentioned that it would need a new RX for the truck in my previous post.

Sorry, didn't have my glasses on. 65MG will work great.

You guys are awesome. I can start putting together a shopping list. Thanks!

Back