My helmet

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good question. Its just a flip down/up. I've never used a speed glass.

We had both speedglass and the old school stuff back when I was in school. Never by my decision would I ever use a flip helmet. That's just silly IMO. Once you use a quick change lens you'll never go back to a flip-up again.

Good question. Its just a flip down/up. I've never used a speed glass.

Brother man you need to get one..I have been welding for 25+years.It will in prove your welding.its lighter.and will cause little to no stress on your neck.Trust me welding causes more stress on the body and mind..more they most think.Every thing that can reduce said stress will add years of life.!!!!!!!!!

1 more thing you do a paint job like that on a speed glass hood.Put thaam on Ebay.you could sell them for double

Brother man you need to get one..I have been welding for 25+years.It will in prove your welding.its lighter.and will cause little to no stress on your neck.Trust me welding causes more stress on the body and mind..more they most think.Every thing that can reduce said stress will add years of life.!!!!
Glad the "speed glass" subject came up. I've welded off and on since I was 21 or so. Never had the luxury of an auto-darkening helmet.
Finally got my own little welder last year. (A little 180 Lincoln.) Comes with that little pissy hand held thing. I looked at the other ones, but bought a "flip up."

I know ya get what ya pay for...
Harbor Freight has one for $35 http://www.harborfreight.com/weldin...hade-auto-darkening-welding-helmet-46092.html
When I bought my flip-up, Tractor Supply had a Hobart for $60 maybe?

I've seen some pretty high dollar helmets, but i just want an inexpensive one.
What do you guys suggest?

Glad the "speed glass" subject came up. I've welded off and on since I was 21 or so. Never had the luxury of an auto-darkening helmet.
Finally got my own little welder last year. (A little 180 Lincoln.) Comes with that little pissy hand held thing. I looked at the other ones, but bought a "flip up."

I know ya get what ya pay for...
Harbor Freight has one for $35 http://www.harborfreight.com/weldin...hade-auto-darkening-welding-helmet-46092.html
When I bought my flip-up, Tractor Supply had a Hobart for $60 maybe?

I've seen some pretty high dollar helmets, but i just want an inexpensive one.
What do you guys suggest?

Digger
Speed glass..around 300$..Thoese cheap ones Do not snap fast enouf..(darken)_to long of a delay.
And will just hurt your eyes.I know first hand..I never know if its a small Nat flying in front of me or its just burn holes in my retinas.
And I can not drive at nite The head lights of on coming cars hurt my eyes..

So with that said speed glass all the way.If your not tigging and just MIG low amp welding a lower end speed glass will do just fine.But tig welding You need a fully adjustable hood..

Digger
Speed glass..around 300$..Thoese cheap ones Do not snap fast enouf..(darken)_to long of a delay.
And will just hurt your eyes.I know first hand..I never know if its a small Nat flying in front of me or its just burn holes in my retinas.
And I can not drive at nite The head lights of on coming cars hurt my eyes..

So with that said speed glass all the way.If your not tigging and just MIG low amp welding a lower end speed glass will do just fine.But tig welding You need a fully adjustable hood..
Just welding around the house Bro, mig.
I was worried about the lower end helmets.
Made it for 20-some years without burning my eyes. I've heard the stories...
Sounds painful as hell...

Guess I'll stick with my flip up until I can afford a good helmet.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Damn Lloyd that came out SIC , your getting damn good at painting, keep up the great work...

Back