My build in progress, suggestions welcome

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharliesTheMan

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Well I got to work on the Savage for a little while last night. I would have loved to work on it all day, but I had to work. I felt like I got a lot done in the small window of time that I had. I would love suggestions on hop-up parts for this truck. I've been trying to get some input but these things must be pretty tough because no one has really been able to tell me what parts I need to replace first. I have another thread about the servos and I REALLY need some help with them SOON. Thanks to each and every one of you for all the help that you have provided. We're like a big family on here, so I feel like I'm posting pictures of a new child so their aunts and uncles can view her.

Attachments

• 100_0148.JPG
    100_0148.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 100_0150.JPG
    100_0150.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 159
  • 100_0153.JPG
    100_0153.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 100_0156.JPG
    100_0156.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_0157.JPG
    100_0157.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 146
update

Well I didn't get to work on my truck a lot yesterday. I put off my girlfriend Friday and Saturday night to work on it so I had to spend some time with her on Sunday. It's beginning to look like a truck though, which is always a good sign. I got most of the shock build process done, just a few small things to finish and it will have a suspension. I gotta order my servos today and radio will be here soon. Maybe a break in this weekend?? :::crosses fingers in hope of a break in this weekend:::

Attachments

• 100_0163.JPG
    100_0163.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 137
  • 100_0161.JPG
    100_0161.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 100_0160.JPG
    100_0160.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 100_0164.JPG
    100_0164.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 133
It's starting to look a lot like something I recognize. Did the kit come with the adjustable upper arms? Mine came stock with a solid arm, but they've been swapped out for alloy.

Looks good, can't wait until I'm comfortable enough in knowing what I am doing to start my own builds. Best of luck, looks solid as a rock I'm sure it will last you a long time. Thanks again for your advice as well. I look forward to seeing more of your progress.

looking nice...

the only suggestion i can make is maybe look into CVDs for it. i've had MIP ones on my savage and have yet to break or bend one and thats with about 6-7 gallons thru her. I know RD logics made a set that were cheaper back in the day, so that may be an option as well.

aside from that get a good hump pack (6 volts) and nice servos (hitech 645 or JR 650's are nice and cheap now). If you have some extra cash and feel the need to spend it, maybe a new 1 piece pipe.

aside from that, just go out and enjoy it

It's starting to look a lot like something I recognize. Did the kit come with the adjustable upper arms? Mine came stock with a solid arm, but they've been swapped out for alloy.

Yes the adjustable arms came stock, and there were some other solid one piece arms in the box, I'm guessing lightweight for racing applications.

Looks good, can't wait until I'm comfortable enough in knowing what I am doing to start my own builds. Best of luck, looks solid as a rock I'm sure it will last you a long time. Thanks again for your advice as well. I look forward to seeing more of your progress.

It's a lot easier than you would think. The HPI kits are very complete with great instructions. I took my T-Maxx apart and put it back together several times without any instructions, so this actually seems easier at times because I do have the instructions. I personally think that building on from a kit is the best way to learn about the way things work, which is the main reason that I chose to build the truck.

Savagefan, thank you for all of that info, I'm going to look into everything that you mentioned. I have another thread about TVP's and I would appreciate some help with that.

as far as servos go, it really does come down to budget....I blew up a few Hitec digital servos before finding the Futaba and JR servos worked great for me....I've seen a lot more guys using the new Hitecs saying they are bulletproof....BUT you will spend some hefty change...100+ each servo.....now I ate 3 (in a row) hitecs costing about 200 alltogether.....I bought the JR 8611 (newer model is out I think the 8800 or something like that) and I have yet to replace any of those I have purchased...same for the Futaba S9451 I use for T/B servo in my nitros.....great stuff but you will pay for it.....

lookes like you close to the point where you mount up the shocks.. watch how you put the screw in the tower. on the "drivers side" rear. (tank side) you want the head on the inside and threads out. on a bad landing the tower will flex and the screw will punch a hole in the tank.

lookes like you close to the point where you mount up the shocks.. watch how you put the screw in the tower. on the "drivers side" rear. (tank side) you want the head on the inside and threads out. on a bad landing the tower will flex and the screw will punch a hole in the tank.

Thanks for telling me that, now I'll know to watch which way I put the screws.

Well the Savage is coming right along. I got to work on it for a lil while last night. I got the shocks built and installed, I got the steering links connected and the body mounts installed.

Since my parents own the company and my step-dad is going to play golf with a business partner, I get the afternoon off to work on the Savvy!! Can i get an AMEN for no work and all savage??

When I get home I will start building the clutch and get the engine mounted. I'll put sime pictures up this evening. Once again, I have to give credit where it's due, so thank you to all of you who have helped with my questions during this build as well as the T-Maxx hop-ups that I've done. I can't wait to finish this project so that I can start building my track!

latest update

Here's some pictures of the truck after I got the shocks finished and installed last night, and pictures of the engine once it was assembled. Man those clutch springs were a nightmare. It tok me an hour to get them on, only to realize that the reason they were so hard to get on is because I was putting them on backwards. Once I found the problem I got them back on in 10 minutes. I didn't let it get to me because the entire rest of the build has been flawless. Once again, I haven't had a single problem with the kit. HPI blew me away with the ease of assembly and the quality of the hardware.

Attachments

• chassis no engine 1.JPG
    chassis no engine 1.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 153
  • chassis no engine 2.JPG
    chassis no engine 2.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 133
  • engine 1.JPG
    engine 1.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 135
  • engine 2.JPG
    engine 2.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 140
2/27 Update

Today I assembled the engine and mounted it in the chassis, lining up the mesh right in the process. I'm waiting on my servos in the mail, and all I have left is putting in the servos and linkage and then mounting the fuel tank. Here some pictures of the truck starting to come together.

Attachments

• chassis with engine 1.JPG
    chassis with engine 1.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 131
  • chassis with engine 2.JPG
    chassis with engine 2.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 130
  • roller from side.JPG
    roller from side.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 140
  • roller from above.JPG
    roller from above.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 2 trucks 1.JPG
    2 trucks 1.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 127
I can't wait to get some fuel pumping through this thing! I would love it if my servos came in tomorrow but I think I'll be lucky if they get here Friday. I sure would love to get it broken in this weekend though!

maybe i missed it...what servos did you get?

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't post on here what I decided to do with me servos. I bought two of the hit tec 645 MG servos to get set up with and do the break in, and next week I'm going to get a HS 945 for my steering and take the extra 645 and put it in my T-Maxx. That way I was able to get my servos and get the whole thing put together and have money for some extra stuff that I bought and I can still start the break in process, and next week I can get the bigger servo and still have a use for the extra one.

There hasn't been too many comments. I would love to hear that you guys think about the truck, and what you think I should change. I've never had a Savage so I don't know what the weak links are that I should replce first.

Well, you are making me want to do the same thing. Like you said, the best way to learn them is to build one from a kit. Just out of curiousity how much has/will this cost you to have a ready to run truck? I know a lot of people like to share their running parts list and cost for their build, and some like to keep that to themselves or at least hidden from their wife. If you don't mind sharing please do. I think this would be a great way to occupy my time on rainy and other bad weather days where I can't get out and do anything.

Thanks Again, and best of luck. You have been very helpful to me since my first post.

Marauder, you are very welcome. I'm just glad that I have been able to help you. The veterans on here have helped out so much with so many issues, and I know what a difference it made for me so I try to do the same for others when I can. When I don't answer a question, it's not because I dont want to help, it's because you need help from a veteran with experience. There's a lot of new guys to watch out for because they don't know what they're doing yet they try to tell others what to do and they end up giving bad advice. So I just answer the things I know about and let the veterans handle theres.

I don't mind telling you how much I spent on the truck, but I have to gather up some numbers first and get back to you. I saved a lot by buying some of the parts that I needed on ebay and from members on here in the buy/sell forum.

I'm thinking the price of the kit is going to go down some when they release the Savage XL, so that would be good. It's a great prject for rainy days and stuff like that. I love to build these things and I got into mechanical stuff by building hot rods, 1:1, and I drag race. I'm in college now so I don't have as much income to spend buying and selling 1:1 cars and building custom trucks, so this is perfect. I can buy upgrade parts for really inexpensive compared to 1:1 cars, I can work on it inside the house, and I can fit it into my schedule. With a real car, even a short term project is likely to take a week, plus you have to be outside and get everything all set up and all that, but with these I can just pull out my RC toolbox, take a seat at the dining room table, and start wrenching and actually get something accomplished even if I only have an hour or two.

I'll add up some numbers and come up with a parts list for you. Hope this helps out!

I'll be getting a better steering servo for mine before I start running it, so let me know what you think of the one you use.

Back