Motor and ESC question for Slash 4X4 (since HW is a bit confusing).

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
The way HW does things, I'm lost, since they list even their BL motors in turns and not KV, so, my question is, would it be ok to run a 3300 or 3500KV 3660 with a HW 10BL120 in a Slash 4X4, with Arrma Vorteks tires and wheels, or Traxxas Sledge Hammers, or would the 3660 damage the ESC?

Well... Note that it doesn't mention short course or monster trucks/truggies at all. I'd go with something beefier.

Do you need sensored? Don't mind that it's not waterproof?

A little bit older info... https://www.rccaraction.com/brushless-motor-tech-everything-you-need-to-know/

Hobbywing has both 2-pole and 4-pole motors.

I'm pretty sure Hobbywing discontinued (even though they have a "notify me when available" link") their EZRUN MAX10 SCT Combos and replaced them with the EZRUN MAX10 G2 Combos. I've been waiting for the EZRun Max10SCT to come back in stock for a long time, and I don't think they are, so I just ordered one of their new combos. The older combos are still available at sites if a person digs deep into the webs, but I'd recommend ordering a newer EZRun combo directly from Hobbywing if deciding to go that direction. The new EZRun G2/G3 (ESC/motor) combos are sensored as well.

Will you be running primarily 2S battery packs?

Last edited:
Well... Note that it doesn't mention short course or monster trucks/truggies at all. I'd go with something beefier.

Do you need sensored? Don't mind that it's not waterproof?
I dont actually need a sensored set up, but, i keep getting told they are better even for bashing, so, i figured why not see what the big deal is. I thought the QuickRun ESC's were waterproof. I know the 10BL60 is.

A little bit older info... https://www.rccaraction.com/brushless-motor-tech-everything-you-need-to-know/

Hobbywing has both 2-pole and 4-pole motors.

I'm pretty sure Hobbywing discontinued (even though they have a "notify me when available" link") their EZRUN MAX10 SCT Combos and replaced them with the EZRUN MAX10 G2 Combos. I've been waiting for the EZRun Max10SCT to come back in stock for a long time, and I don't think they are, so I just ordered one of their new combos. The older combos are still available at sites if a person digs deep into the webs, but I'd recommend ordering a newer EZRun combo directly from Hobbywing if deciding to go that direction. The new EZRun G2/G3 (ESC/motor) combos are sensored as well.

Will you be running primarily 2S battery packs?
I only run 2S. As for getting a new combo, i just figured pair one of the 4 ESC's i already have with a sensored motor, just to see if they are any better, but, it almost seems like what I'm trying to do wont work, because either the motor is too big for the ESC, or, the sensored part of whichever motor i pick wont work with that ESC, and, the one motor i did find that the sensor will work with that ESC, is too small for my truck, since, they list the 3650SD motors as the main choice for that ESC, and, i doubt a 3650 will work with how my Slash is set up (I could be wrong though. I have been before).

This is why i stick mainly to 2WD. Everytime i end up with a 4WD, it turns into a hunt for what works.

Oh, sensored is smoooooth but standard connectors (and SL gear generally) don't like water, and the new G2 stuff is only compatible with itself.

I had a 6s HW rebrand ESC laying around and used that. It runs cool without a fan and will handle any motor that you can put in a Slash 4x4.

I would not recommend a 3650...

Oh, sensored is smoooooth but standard connectors (and SL gear generally) don't like water, and the new G2 stuff is only compatible with itself.

I had a 6s HW rebrand ESC laying around and used that. It runs cool without a fan and will handle any motor that you can put in a Slash 4x4.

I would not recommend a 3650...
I've been looking at just using a cheap chinese 3660, but, then i get stuck on, what KV, since i have heard everything from 3100 to 4500. The last time i tried a 3800, on a DHK Hunter, it actually sucked, and that was a Castle 1410 3800, not one of the cheap motors. For me, 4WD has always been trial and error to see what i like, and, so far, i havent found anything i like. I want something that is quick, but, not 100MPH fast, but doesn't try to constantly do wheelies.

I've looked at everything from Spektrum (3150), to Reedy (3500KV), to Hobbywing (some of them just lose me), to the cheap chinese stuff.

3000-3500 KV IMO. Beyond that, adjust with gearing and ESC punch setting. I had the 4000KV Hobbywing SCT combo and it was gutless and ran too hot for my liking.

Currently I have a 2800KV aliexpress special in there with a 14/54 gear ratio and it's just about as fast as makes sense off-road. Could go a teeth or two up for more speed if I wanted.

Note: I run 3s and mainly set my Slash up for racing on a pretty small and very loose track.

The way HW does things, I'm lost, since they list even their BL motors in turns and not KV, so, my question is, would it be ok to run a 3300 or 3500KV 3660 with a HW 10BL120 in a Slash 4X4, with Arrma Vorteks tires and wheels, or Traxxas Sledge Hammers, or would the 3660 damage the ESC?
Get the

EZRUN MAX10 G2 Combo (140A ESC + 3665 G3 Motor)​

Get the

EZRUN MAX10 G2 Combo (140A ESC + 3665 G3 Motor)​

It’s literally the best for 1/10 4x4

Back