model#5309 and #5308..

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big jilm

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Whats the main difference??? What will it take, If possible, to get the 5309 to say platinum racing specs????
Would I be better off waiting for a 5308 or would $250 be money well spent on a 5309 completely rtr in good shape????

5309:
TRA5309_2.jpg

5308:
Traxxas%20Revo%203.3%205308%202.jpg

Platinum:
revoplatinum3.jpg

As you can see in those pictures, they are very similar. The only thing I notice different is the pipes, shocks, and air filters. I don't know a whole lot about the Revo though, but the deal on the 5309 sounds pretty good. It's not outdated at all really, and I know you can easily get parts for it still. Now on the Platinum, you add the wing, and wing mount, a different air filter, the different pipe, shocks, forward only, new tires, wheels, red rods (forget the name), a bigger fuel tank, sway bars, a different chassis, and better electronics. It also requires a starter box while the 3.3 would use an EZ Start.

Last edited:
i like the platinum
very good looking rig
if i was to ever buy a traxxis thats what it would be

not for nothing but i bought the 5309 3 yrs ago and have had very very few probs with it i love it. for $250 i would buy another one in a heartbeat. but i think either way you would be very happy with the revo.

The Big question is do you want to race or are you just out for fun. If you have every intention of racing the just spend the extra on the platinum, if you don't intend to race then get the platinum and upgrade the things you see fit as the need comes. The 5309 has single steering and Micro receiver and tuned pipe I would get the 5309 if racing wasn't a issue.

The Big question is do you want to race or are you just out for fun. If you have every intention of racing the just spend the extra on the platinum, if you don't intend to race then get the platinum and upgrade the things you see fit as the need comes. The 5309 has single steering and Micro receiver and tuned pipe I would get the 5309 if racing wasn't a issue.

Grudge,i think the 5308 is the one with single steering servo. mine is the 5309 and it has 2 steering servos but as i have never seen the 5308 or the platinum i am not sure. judging from pics above it looks like only one servo on 5308 and two on 5309.right? i may be wrong.

Last edited:
Yes the 5309 has dual steering servos, and reverse. I have one and love it. I installed a wing, 2 stage airfilter and a few other things. It's a good all around rigg.

Yes the 5309 has dual steering servos, and reverse. I have one and love it. I installed a wing, 2 stage airfilter and a few other things. It's a good all around rigg.

i love mine to. thats funny i just put a wing on mine friday and 2 stage air filter as well. i love having rev. cuase it just makes it nice when you bump a tree or something you dont have torun up to it just to turn it around.lol

here are a couple of pics. let me know what you think.

Last edited:
Nice ... this is before i added everything. Same colors i like the yellow in it. but i need a new body mine is beat. (now)

2009_0405familynfriends0200.jpg

thats pretty funny. yup i agree i need new body to. you just can't see how bad it is.lol my wife is gonna paint a couple bodies for me so i can have custom paint job. we'll have to see what she comes up with.i used to have the body pin holders to but can't find them now.nice truck though.

Thank you.
I coundn't live without the pin keepers. I have a set for just about every body my wife and i have. I have a body for Shelfy (my tmaxx) It's not cut out yet and i have a set for it. :) I think they are alil expensive at 5 bucks a pack but they save you so many pins. I'll have to get the pictures uploded of the other riggs here.
And watch the center piece of the wing mount i broke mine a couple hours after i installed it . Might have been the way it hit ot something but i had to buy a new mount. Havn't put it on yet but when it breaks off i have it lol.

Last edited:
well looking through all of my stuff i found one so the other must be here.lol i am going to use them on the new body.

Thanks for the input guys!! I don't think I can go wrong with this one.. I need to get use to handling this thing before i go racing anyway so I think I will be picking it up tomorrow!!
It also has the added tuned pipe , Upgraded air filter , and a wing installed so yeah, for $250 I will be walking away with this one..

Nice trucks there guys!! This one is yellow as well and I really like the looks of it...

Thanks again for the advice!! I'll get some pics up when I get it...

cool, good luck with it, let us know how you like it. no problems hopefully

you will really enjoy the life of the revo, great all around rig and as stated before if you are gonna race, get the platinum, if you wanna just bash, go with the 5309 for the simple fact that it has reverse

With this, I figure I'll just upgrade as I go... Money is a little tight and this will get me running...
I am quickly finding out this is not a cheap hobbie but then again none of them are...;)

not cheap to get into, but cheap to upgrade

Grudge,i think the 5308 is the one with single steering servo. mine is the 5309 and it has 2 steering servos but as i have never seen the 5308 or the platinum i am not sure. judging from pics above it looks like only one servo on 5308 and two on 5309.right? i may be wrong.

:eek:pps: I got them reversed but you all got the point I was trying to make LOL.

Back