Mini summit hop ups and lipo and break in questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtboogie

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Not getting many hits with help on the mini page so I'm hoping I can have better luck on tis forum. Just purchased the mini summit, should be here early next week. I'm curious to know if you have to actually break the electric motors in like you do a nitro and if so, how do you break them in? I own a t maxx and switching over to electric is a nice change. Don't get me wrong I love my maxx but its nice to not have to spend time chasing a tune and not being so worried about breaking mechanical parts. Had an old kyosho back in 2003 then got out of the hobby untill about a year ago when i got my maxx. Having said that I am trying to learn to most I can about these new electrics that are a bit different than my old kyosho. I did get the brushless version, but how ever i don't know a thing about lipos so I will be sticking with the Nimh batteries for a while. I ordered the wiring harnesses to be able to run longer with 2 batteries as well as the harness for top speed with the 2 batteries. I ordered an extra traxxas 1/16 1200 mah battery as well as 2 venom 1/16 1600 mah batteries and 2 duratrax 1/16 1600 mah. the reason for ordering all 3 brands is I am just curious as to which will give me the longest run time. I have heard the venoms are the best but at only 16 bucks i figured why not try the others to see what happens. I would like to try lipos eventually but do not know the advantages of them or enough about them and have heard a lot of bad things about them being tricky to charge right as well as catching on fire if not charged right. I have the great planes electrifly triton charger so i have a lipo compatible charger but like I said I don't know enough about them to mess with them right now while I'm starting out with the electrics again. But I'm wondering if you use the harnesses can ou run two lipos at one and if so does this cause too much heat for the motor. My main question is are the upgrades for the mini e-revo the same as for the mini summit? Most websites i have looked on show all the upgrades for the mini revo and slash not the summit. I'm really looking for steel drive shafts because I have read that these break very easily and very fast on the mini summit. I would also like to upgrade the a arms and maybe eventually the bulkheads because these are all parts that broke on my t maxx being the original traxxas plastic pieces. I have read that the drive shafts for the mini revo for the mini summit but am trying to get a for sure answer. One set of drive shafts i was looking at is the GH ones>> http://www.rcplanet.com/Golden_Horiz...p/ghh05173.htm But once again they say they are for the mini revo. So as I asked before WILL THE UPGRADES FOR THE MINI REVO WORK ON THE MINI SUMMIT. also are the normal replacement parts the same for the 2 because that is another thing that even on tower hobbies i dont see a difference between. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
If it's the Velineon brushless version there really isn't any break in required. The driveshafts don't really need any upgrading. They easily handle the abuse of 3s power on my eRevo VXL. The only non-cosmetic upgrade that I've done is to upgrade to the center diff to keep all 4 on the gound on the 3s packs that I run.

Lipos are not that difficult and in my opinion are the way to go on that truck. I bought one about 2 weeks ago and have run it on the single nimh, dual nimh for the most power and a 3s Lipo. The two nimh's are still not as fast as the single lipo however it is very close. You can run dual lipos with the PARALLEL connector only as it only give you double the run time.

Word of warning and i have found it to be true over and over again. The single 3s lipo and the dual nimh's (series connector for double voltage) on loose surface will overheat the motor and it will go into thermal protection everytime. The dual nimh's and 3s lipo should only be used on hardpack surfaces.

The truck on dual nimh and the lipo will do a complete backflip on a surface with enough traction, it is a fun truck to have for sure.

Back