Melted Spur Gear Teeth

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have Savage X 4.6 , was running hard on a wet soccer field today and it was running great, doing wheelies and jumps etc, after about 15 min. the wheels wouldn't turn and engine was reving high. On inspection two 1/2 inch sections of the teeth are gone on the spur gear and the rest are worn off or melted off. I suspect when I stopped the hot CB melted the teeth off in those places where the teeth are missing.

I can replace the spur gear but my question is what to do about the CB overheating. I read somewhere about changing the springs in the clutch. What size should I use ? Is there a trick to getting the CB off. I took the screw out but the CB seems to be stuck on. I tried gently using a flat screw driver to pry it off but wouldn't budge. Didn't want wreck something so asking for help. Are there upgrade CBs that don't get as hot ?

Your clutch bell should not be getting nearly that hot. Could it be getting way to hot because the slipper clutch is not tight enough??

If anything it might have been too tight. No wear on slipper pad at all. I am wondering if the wet ground may have caused water to get into the clutch causing it to slip and generate XS heat. I have read on other posts that this does happen.

the only time i had an over heated clutch bell was when i incorrectly put on my clutch shoes and springs and they were dragging on the bell. maybe that could be why but i dont know. only way to tell is to take it apart yourself and ask questions here along the way or take it to a hobby shop and have someone fix it for you

Last edited:
not having the proper gear mesh will also create MASSIVE heat....the easy way to set your mesh is to run a piece of paper between your CB and spur gears...push them together and screw the engine down and pull out the paper....you WANT a small amount of play between the gears or you are creating friction....

As far as water causing the clutch shoes to slip that is not very likely to happen if your gear mesh is correct....if it is too tight the shoes will slip......

you probably cooked the bearings and glazed the inside of the CB, if you have to cut it off the shaft and replace it all...CB , Springs, Bearings, shoes.....

It could also simply be the fact that you were running a 40 mph, 12 pound, truck in WET GRASS.....WITH A PLASTIC SPUR GEAR!!!!!!!! :spit:

With all due respect, you really have to avoid wet or long grass, because it creates a lot of resistance. Plus, in wet grass, you may be spinning your tires to move and over-working the engine.

Also, just replace the plastic spur with a robinson racing hardened steel one, or the one that comes in the x ss kit from hpi. It is expensive at first, but you will NEVER EVER have to replace it, assumining you set the gear mesh correctly. By driving it in the high resistance grass and stuff, you will just over heat the engine (which isnt good either:LoL:)

Peace:boxing:

Thanks for the info, I took the damaged spur gear into LHS. They said it was just chewed up. Maybe engine lossened up a bit. Put new one in last night - is running great again. I will check engine screws before every run and keep out of the long wet grass. When this one goes I will go with a metal one

Also, just replace the plastic spur with a robinson racing hardened steel one. It is expensive at first, but you will NEVER EVER have to replace it, assumining you set the gear mesh correctly. By driving it in the high resistance grass and stuff, you will just over heat the engine (which isnt good either:LoL:)

Peace:boxing:

with my experience so far having steel spur=bad news. you can pretty much say goodbye to your clutch bell. i know myself and others i have talked too, they keep an extra spur on them just in case something happens. i would rather replace a cheap plastic spur than a expensive clutch bell. the geniuses over at HPI must have made it plastic for some good reason.

maybe....but I have also heard that the steel spurs work very well and don't induce wear on other parts....I dunno, I am still doing break in. I have a lot of experience with smaller nitros, and electrics, but I obviously am new to the large nitro deal. I just get all my info from my great lhs; specifically the guy who has owned savages since they came out:)

Back