melted piston

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooks

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
So after months of trouble free fun
with the thunder tiger S50, I've managed to melt a hole in the piston, I'm guessing I was running to lean the last time out??

Yeah, if you actually "melted" a hole in the piston, you were running extremely hot. If you just PUT a hole in it, you were probably still too hot but there could've been other factors. I've had my bearing go out at WOT, the engine was running fine and my temps were good but I guess my bearing didn't want to play anymore. If you post some pics of the damage or at least explained what happened, we can probably help you determine the cause a bit better. If you just post a short post like that, we're going to think you were just telling us about it. If you need help trying to figure it out, we'll need more info. How was it running? What was the temp? Did it die or did you find the hole during maintenace? How much fuel has been through the engine? Has it had issues before or have you ever lost the air filter while running?

Any pictures, love seeing destroyed engines, and are you sure it's melted- a stone hasn't got in there or anything? Also, isn't that truck the one with a ridiculous 4.6cc engine....

Any pictures, love seeing destroyed engines, and are you sure it's melted- a stone hasn't got in there or anything? Also, isn't that truck the one with a ridiculous 4.6cc engine....
IMG_20150618_200806.jpg

IMG_20150618_200437.jpg

IMG_20150618_200217.jpg

Few picks, got a new piston fixed the engine, bought a fresh engine as a spare as well so hopefully it won't happen again!!!

Truck was upside down when this happened

At least 2 gallons had been run through the engine, was running great ( no temps but plenty smoke) and was performing really well, totally out the blue failure to be honest

Iv see never seen anything like that in a nitro engine. We're you running a hot plug and a lean mixture?