M-18 Hop ups

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plaidfish

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Okay I got my new motor mount and I trashed the chassis....so I'm looking at the Penguin chassis kit.....while I'm at it I figure the CVDs and Ball diffs should be done as well......here's the questions:

do they make a metal gear diff? I can only find those atomic brand ones and they seem to be delrin gears, do they hold up to the 300 size motors or am I just gonna eat stuff up here...

anyone have an opinion (meaning you actually used the product) onthe atomic 1/18 scale parts? they have a lot of stuff I want but if it's a GPM type crap I'll get teh real deal if I can.....

I just want to make mine have some cool WOW factor, not going to race it (sanctioneed anyway)......but this has been the most frustrating RC to find info on parts for.......the Xray store cost too damn much for parts too......one 18th says no items available and asia tees stuff just looks like GPM crap to me.......any other companies make after market parts for this yet other than Motek, Atomic & Penguin???

M18 hop ups

Plaidfish,

Micros are my area of speciality.
I cannot question your choice of chassis, I love Penguin RC chassis, they are awesome products and Brian Sohn, the owner of Penguin RC always pays the site I help run regular visits and responds to and provides feedback to our Members. The site is YourMicro.com

The M18 does need ball diffs and CVDs, however I do not recommend 3Racing or any other bowl-of-rice part.
Go for the genuine Xray diffs and bones, the diffs cost me UK£30/each but they are awesome and held up to the abuse of a 6800 Mamba with ease.
You can see my Brushless M18 in this Thread (It doesn't use a Penguin chassis - the chassis on mine is cut by a guy based in Germany)

I have read about guys fitting the cheaper standard RC18T ball-diffs into an M18, I've not tried it myself but I believe it can be done with a little help from an RC18T diff shim kit. It's something to consider and it's way cheaper than the expensive Team XRay ball diffs, but the problem again is the plastic outdrives. You can always fit MIP SuperDiff outdrives for the RC18T :)
Lastly if you fit RC18T diffs in the M18, I believe there is 1 tooth difference between the M18 and RC18T's main diff gears, so a little re-gearing via a Pinion/Spur may be in order. Hope this helps

LOL...I was just asking you questions in your thread....thanks, I was looking at the RC18 mod but the outdrives stopped me from going that route...I figure the xray out drives alone are most of what their diff kit is charging you for anyway.....so the HK sellers are pretty much all crap huh??
thanks for the link I'll check the site out sometime after work.....

well NOW I'M PISSED......I got the center vertical mount....couldn't find any 2.5mm x 6 screws...I just cut some down finally, mounted the Baja motor on the plate and put the 14t pinion on and stock spur gear...there's like 1cm space from between the gears.....they don't even come close to touching......WTF!!!!!....anybody have any experience w/ Penguin RC chassis.....this is the biggest PITA RC I've ever done.....just finding the stinkin parts at reasonable prices is like a part time job......I'm going to write Penguin RC and se what they have to say......they told me in the last e-mail the baja would work w/ the 300 size mount.....I just want to play w/ it in a skatepark onthe carpet before they fill inthe space w/ video games......til them I'll have like a 300 x 150 ft low carpeted area to play w/ it.......

Plaid,

Deep breaths dude! I am sure Brion from Penguin will soon get you sorted out. He's never, ever walked away from a disgruntled customer.
Don't let this issue put you off what is an excellent product.
As far as I'm aware, the Baja should quite happily fit on a 300 motor plate.
Sometimes you have to go up a few teeth on the pinion to make them mesh - this was a requirement when fitting a BB300 motor to a Micro RS4, I had to use a 13T pinion or they wouldn't mesh at all.
My M18 never had a vertical motor mount, so I've not had that problem.
Any chance of a photo?

yeah I'll take one tonight....I'm using a 14t pinion...I found the lower part of the plate needs to be shaved a lil better...the fiber strands stickin out (real tiny not an issue) are keeping it from seating perfectly....even w/ that taken care of, it's still so far awy from teh spur gear....I'm not counting Penguin out yet..it's a real nice LOOKING chassis....and stiff too.....I can put a larger spur gear on the shaft but then I'll just be so low it will break ass and overheat I think....it's just frustratin because I'm not really an electric guy....I beat on my electric hard lately cause I just want to break em it seems...I'm hoping having a nice compact lil racer will cure those tendencies....:D so far it's not working...I beat my TC3 even harder last night......

Back