LST2 Mach 427 engine smoking alot

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arcboyz

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
well i just bough a used LST2 for 200 needed some front work due to a collision damage but overall its pretty good the engine runs great the only problem that i seem to have is that its smoking alot its shooting alot of smoke fills up the street more than my old 88 cavalier lol I'm currently using Nitrotane 20%. what could be the cause?

Sounds like you are running really rich. Is it sluggish on the top end? What temp is it getting to when it is good and warmed up? If it is 200 or under try leaning out the high speed needle a 1/8 turn or so.

Just from what you are a saying the engine seems a lot like it is running out of tune. Have you tried to reset the needles back to default and retune? When adjusting, always use "one hour" increments. Think of the needle as a clock....

umm rich thats the sme thing that my brother told me to lean it out. I dont think that its out of tune its not bogging down when it gun it its just smoking alot the idle it nice and calm like my 3.3 the temp is around 220ish

Could be the fuel... My buddies both have that engine (LST2 and muggy). They run whatever I pick up for them (byrons 20%) or trinity MHP 20%. They don't smoke any more than anything else I've ran or seen.

If the fuel is old, there's a lot of oil in it compared to nitro because of evaporation. Try new fuel. Also try a slightly higher nitro content. Also could be lean on the bottom end (no bogging and higher temps) and rich on top (lots of smoke).

i actually leaned it out alittlebit more and it still was doing that and now that i have ran about 10 tanks it has stopped smoking maybe it was because it wasn't runed in a while the guy that i bought it from told me that he ran it about 8 times

Might have been gunk in the carb/crankcase/fuel lines that needed to be flushed out.

hey what you need to do right away before fatal damage to your engine occurs is...

1. make sure your cooling head and glow plug are tightened down all the way.
2. tune your engine richer the smoke means your engine is overheating
3. make sure you have no airleaks and that your exhaust couplers are not ripped.

the smoke either means your exhaust is leaking or your engine is overheating.
if there is just simply more smoke coming from the exhaust that means you are rich or you have an exhaust leak.
if there is a small stream of smoke coming from the cooling head that means your engine is overheated.
to prevent this you must tune richer or your engine will gradually loose compression and eventually blow up.
well i just bough a used LST2 for 200 needed some front work due to a collision damage but overall its pretty good the engine runs great the only problem that i seem to have is that its smoking alot its shooting alot of smoke fills up the street more than my old 88 cavalier lol I'm currently using Nitrotane 20%. what could be the cause?

it was smoking from the exhaust, not from the head i did replaced the lines as they were white turning yellowish I'm running a mc coy mc9 i also switch the exhaust cupler those were some of the first things that i did i always have necesary parts in my workbench I'm new to Losi but not nitro lol :surrender thanks, alot oh i was making sure that the head screws were tight with one of those round tip hexes and the round tip snaped on the screw do i have to drill it out?

If the head of the round tip is just broken off in the head bolt then no you shouldnt have to drill. You should be able to use a magnet or a small screwdriver to get it out or lose. Did you try turning it over to see if it will fall out? If you snapped it in the block then you will have to drill or hope some is sticking out to grasp with a vise-grips.

Back