Lipo battery in your suitcase

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grrlracer

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
is it dangerous to fly with a lipo battery in your suitcase?

just incase like.... :confused:

cheers

You might catch some crap from security, but if it is properly stored in your suitcase such as a lipo sack, or a hard case, it should be fine.

You can pretty much bet your life savings that security will open and inspect your suitcase. As soon as they see a rectangular object with a wire lead on the monitor they will almost certainly open it up. These days anytime you put something in a suitcase that is even remotely suspicious, you can bet they will open it up. If I travel with my straight edge (razor) I put it right on top so they don't need to shuffle around too much.

i'm planning on getting a few rc's while i'm over there but i'm worried about it.

Your coming to the states? Where are you going to be?

Your coming to the states? Where are you going to be?

Florida for a week then ATL for 2 weeks :)
i will be bringing my lap top with me.. so i can check out the forum everyday...
i gotta have my dose of 'rcnitro talk' :D

i'm planning on getting a few rc's while i'm over there but i'm worried about it.

Its not a bomb don't worry. The worst that could happen is that you will have to check your baggage. You might have some trouble if you want to transport the fuel tho. Nitromethane is some nasty stuff...

ok just to make sure.. since i have just bought the mini t with lipo and lipo charger from marauder
i will be putting everything in my suitcase that will be checked in and not on board with me...

i was thinking of keeping the lipo battery in the car itself..
do you all think this is ok...SAFE?

and do you think my suitcase will definatly be opened up for inspection...?

sorry just need to make 100% sure

thanx guys! :thumbup:

Since it will most likely pass through xray, there's a safe chance it will be inspected. You can contact the airlines and ask about such an item. Or arrive early enough, so if they reject it, you can mail it from the airport.

I would check the Rc with the batt in it unconnected. If the overpaid @$$ inspecting it wants to make a deal he will just hae to return you your baggage at worst, Or pay the equivelent if those shmucks lose it: mini t with lipo and lipo charger, $150 wheel tire set, upgarded servos $90 a peice, prolie body pre painted $130.... get the idea it is what you say it is.

Hhmmm all seems risky,i have just been reading stories online how these have exploded and caught fire while traveling with them...

i think i will just post it to myself... thanx for the replies guys :thumbup:

Hhmmm all seems risky,i have just been reading stories online how these have exploded and caught fire while traveling with them...

At least that way you are more likely to recieve it, but you might want to insure it just in case...:D

Probably the best idea, sure it'll cost you to send it home, but it might save you a bunch of hassle at the airport. Which to me would be more than worth the price of postage.

Congrats on the purchase!! That's a beautiful Mini-T...............I'm jealous.

Probably the best idea, sure it'll cost you to send it home, but it might save you a bunch of hassle at the airport. Which to me would be more than worth the price of postage.

Congrats on the purchase!! That's a beautiful Mini-T...............I'm jealous.

Thanx Mrclean ,you're right.

as for the mini -t ,well i just can't wait to drive it!
especially here where my friend lives,The house is kinda on a hill with a huge wide open private road at the front,then her front yard has a very cool and just the right size looking hump.. which i have fantasized many times of driving an rc over it... now my dreams will come true! :hehe:

man i'm a dork! :hehe:
i just can't believe how much i've missed my rc's while i've been away.
In future i may just bring one with me when i leave for long periods of time so i can drive it anytime i want/need,the withdrawal systems are killin' me :D

LMAO
Hey, glad to hear you got it! I'm SURE you'll enjoy it.

Hehehe.....you're a total addict. Welcome to the asylum.

just to let you know,i bought one of those lipo fire sacks and put the lipo battery in there and put it in my suitcase...

everything was fine and my case didn't even get inspected....i was just too lazy to post it to myself in the end lol

so least we know it's safe to fly with one of these in the suitcase... :thumbup:

just to let you know,i bought one of those lipo fire sacks and put the lipo battery in there and put it in my suitcase...

everything was fine and my case didn't even get inspected....i was just too lazy to post it to myself in the end lol

so least we know it's safe to fly with one of these in the suitcase... :thumbup:

That was, hands down, the smartest idea. No sarcasm here; you had a great idea. :thumbup: