LESSEN's TTR S3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Olds- I took your advise and turned the carb a little. It's still not perfectly straight but the linkage IS at idle. It is a bit smoother now as well. thanks bud!

also- I decided to paint my wing, I like the white wheels but I just couldn't stand that big white wing. I sprayed it simple grey. I think it'll look good with the big chrome S3 decals that the kit came with. I'm currently waiting for the wing to dry. body needs some number and sponsor decals now. Not that I'm sposored (LOL!) I just think it makes it look racy. :) I got decals for some of the stuff I used. Parma PSE, Fascolor, Proline, O.S. engines, Spektrum. Decals that I don't have that I wish I did are Futaba, GS Racing, Trinity, and Jammin'.

Painting the wing isn't a good idea....the paint will come off pretty quickly once you have a few crashes...seeing as it was white your should have dyed it using RIT dye from your pharmacy....

Also, I saw a picture of Saxton's S3 in RC Car Action and he had the carb at a crazy angle, more than yours was....

Lessen, how's the build on that puppy? Better yet, how's parts availability? I know my LHS doesn't have stuff for that buggy in stock but how is it on-line? Who are the major distributers?

Only reason I'm asking is because I have the oportunity to get myself one.

tomoko69- I'm not really concerned about it. I did get paint that's for plastic so I expec it will not flake or peel as bad as normal stuff. If it scratches it won't be any different than if I dyed it. Besides, it's only visual. It's only gonna last so long anyways. I will probably do a new wing with a new body anyways. I really like to paint so it probably won't be on there long in the first place.

Diver- Build was pretty good! Quality of parts is really high. Directions are good but a tad lacking on details. I had to figure a couple things out for myself. The only major thing that I don't like is that it's hard (nearly impossible) to get the battery/radio box cover off w/o disconnecting the throttle linkage. It's not really that big of a deal as long as you got a fully charged battery before racing starts. It's easy to over come though, just pop the rod end off of the carb. If I wasn't dickin around on the computer I'd probably get it started up sometime today. I'm doin some final visual touches now. I can't really speak from an experienced point of view as far as how good of a buggy it is. but going by the build and the reputation already earned I'd suggest getting one if you can. As far as availibility.. I can order whatever I need from my LHS. So far I havn't had to order any parts cuz I havn't run it yet. The only N. american TTR distributer is Ace Hobby so no matter who you get your stuff from that's where they're gettin it. But I intend on getting all of my parts from RushRC since he is a TTR retailer now. since nobody around here stocks it I might as well have it shipped to my door rather than drive 40 minutes one way.

Thanks for the info! RushRC being a distributer will be a big plus factor.

Since Thunder Tiger bought Associated, maybe they could utilize their distribution channels.

I just went through my first 5 tanks. I got one more tank of break in although it just about feels broken in now. this thing really started to come alive around the 4th tank. during tank 5 it just got amazing. I can't believe what this thing can do. Now I understand why buggies are so freakin popular. two words... Bad Fast. All I know is I'm glad I didnt go over the top and get a V-spec cuz that woulda been too much too soon for me. I think I'll be perfectly content with my RG. Oh, and as far as this being strictly a race vehicle... YEAH RIGHT! LMAO! I'll be runnin this thing all the time! I love it! I started break in at 2 3/4 turns out on the HSN. O.S. recommends starting break in at 3 turns out but I couldn't get it started until I leaned it to 2 3/4. I ran it like that for 2 tanks with very mild throttle. On the 3rd tank I leaned it to 2 1/2 and started to blip the throttle a bit, didn't do much at the time and if it did there was a huge delay. continued to run it fairly mildly but higher throttle.. probably more around 50% plus blips. Tank 4 got leaned to 2 1/4 turns out. About halfway through this tank the engine really started to take on a new attitude. It started to get much more responsive and the low end really started to unfold. I ran it more aggresively on this tank with blips a full throttle. Tanks 5 got leaned to 2 turns out on the HSN. Now I'm really starting to see what buggies are capable of. At this point I feel comforetable giving it lots more throttle and plenty of full throttle bursts. this is almost all out bashing in my little backyard at his point. got 'er flipped upside down a couple times and a little bit of air as well (got a couple little landscaping mounds that need redun... yeah right. :D) Seems pretty durable even though it wasn't at very high speeds. and yes the wing is still grey :p hehe. unfortuntely the very last of my fuel is in the tank now. I was gonna do the last break in tank but my starter box went and I got some things to do. I'll finish up tomorrow.

oh one more thing... I've been monitoring temps throughout the break in process. on the last tank I was runnin around 240- 245ish. I know that's fine but will I get any more outta this thing If I lean it any further? I'm not quite sure if I should lean the HSN anymore for the 6th break in tank. after the 5th tank I turn it so anything in the pipe could drip out. There was a little bit of unburnt fuel in there but I'm not sure if it's from that tank or the previous. There wasn't much, maybe a couple tablespoons at the most. it was pretty thick and dark as well.

Last edited:
With the 21 RG's I've played with, broke in and helped break in, 250 is about as high as you want to go. Give it more time. After about 1/2 gallon, it will come to life and you will see constant power from the end of gallon one to about gallon 7 if you take care of it.

I'm on gallon 9 and I've treated it like a red headed step child since gallon 7 when the compression started getting weak, but it just won't die! Still fires right up and runs around 230-240 in my savage and pulls wheelies with 52/15 in the grass.

great info Olds, I'll just keep the needle where it is then. I wish I wasn't' out of fuel, I was using Odonnel 20%. Of course I always have a gallon of 20% Traxxas stuff...

Back