Last MBX-5 is mine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
Cool thanks for the tips Bigfreak, w/ all the upgrades I have listed that I wanted to get I'm looking at possibly taking my MBX back and just getting the Prospec....it's a $150 more for me to do that from my lhs....and it's starting to look more like I should do that.....I have to get the cycling thought train outta my head where the race products are very performance oriented and they wear out faster....it seems the RCs are opposite from that.....my LHS will definately laugh me out of the shop if I put a RG in a prospec.....Screw em it's my buggy and I think that little engine has served me well every time I get one.....they last me about 3-5 gallons before I get rid of em and they still have good compression, I just figure someone will buy them for 50 -70 bucks the way they feel and I spend another 20 -30 for a new one.....
that hobbyguy link has a mugen Bulldog on the header for his pages....I want it bad....that was the coolest RC ever made IMO.....I had one of those in the 80s and killed everything that tried to take me.....its AWDS.....

thought long and hard and brought MBX-5 back to LHS....gonna get the prospec.....kit will cost me 640 cash....sounded like a good deal since I was already adding over 100 bucks in prospec parts shock towers and chassis braces and engine mount.....figure why not just get the full deal.......I won't be able to build for a few months though....so I opted to get the V-Spec and a new pipe (any suggestions on pipe would be appreciated) and new JR servos and PCM RX so when I get the kit I'll be able to just build straight through to completion...I still have my OFNA buggy, I ordered a PBS conversion for it today as well......I'm a lil bummed but at least I'll have the mugen before the summer

Its cool that you got the kit you really want now plaid, but to others out there pondering a Mbx5. If you dont want to flip the cash for the prospec, the standard kit is just fine for racing, and bashing. In over a year of ownership I have yet to actually break any parts other than the standard wear items like clutches, and bearings. I also own a prospec as well, and it is a tank, and just looks too cool !
M.

Plaidfish, sorry you got the V spec over the Rb LOL. Rb's are not hard to tune at all, neither is the clutch setup. i run a RB ws7II with carbon shoes, 1.1, and a RB .063 pipe and long header. never touch the needles and has lowend from hell. but for some reason some people have problems, and this was my first race engine and i am still a newbie so to speak. good luck and the mugen is kick ass

nitrojunkee said:
Its cool that you got the kit you really want now plaid, but to others out there pondering a Mbx5. If you dont want to flip the cash for the prospec, the standard kit is just fine for racing, and bashing. In over a year of ownership I have yet to actually break any parts other than the standard wear items like clutches, and bearings. I also own a prospec as well, and it is a tank, and just looks too cool !
M.

I know it's still a good buggy but the guys at Mills pond track are pretty competitive....and I seem to break my 9.5 every time I try to push up to them....and I know I'll need something comparable to the TQs here....but mostly it came down to I was reading the prospec thread and got really jealous of everyone getting to build their NEW kit....the MBX5 I had was the last one in the shop and was the display model....so it was already built.....I have yet to buy a brand new kit version RC and get to build it myself.......I actually enjoy the building wrenching part of the hobby....

low 10s, I run my WS7II with the exact same clutch and pipe comb you do, and it rocks !!! The only reason some people I think dont like this engine is because there are other engines out there that do have more on the bottom end, and come on a little sooner than the WS7II.

Plaid, Its cool you like the building part as well, building is at least half the fun for me !
M.

i have had the ws711 and the v spec....i prefer the v-spec cause it has the same mid....more top and bottom...just an all around more responsive motor....i believe...but then its just my opinion too....

i have an xray xb8....but i am looking into getting an mbx5...regular or prospec either or....

What do you like more about the mugen over the X-ray....

plaid thinkin hard about the XB8? It's $50 cheaper than the prospec on one site I saw. I donno much about it honestly aside from what I read online and in the mags. (so I donno anything) LOL good luck pickin. :)

yeah I keep looking at the replacement part costs and the Xray stuff is less money...but there could be a reason for that right.....besides I like the Pivot ball suspension, it seems to take more of a beating than other types.....but the C-hub style seems to give quicker steering response......I don't know what I want now.....I had a Mugen sitting here in front of me for 4 days and I was just being overly critical of the parts vs the prospec.....I'm lucky my LHS is very understanding w/ returns from me....I always exchange and almost never get any cash back, so they better do right by me......well I have a few months to decide now...I'm waiting til I move (April 1st) to my new apt....I had to stay at folks place til then so I don't really have any place to build right now, and I already have a buggy that's pretty damn good. so I'll wait and hopefully get to try more of each buggy in the mean time......

i like the mugens durability and setups....there is alot more available for the mugen cause its been out longer...i know it will come for the xb8 also....i just have to say i think xray should do something with the front lower a arms....first off you have to dremel them right out the box to allow clearance for the c-hub....i never do this to mine but i have broken 4 lower a arms in 4 races....i always keep spares handy...but it is a pain....nonetheless..... my brother and my father both have mbx5's and it would be better for me to have an mbx5 rather than the xray....cause on raceday they have parts and stuff i could use...lol......plus the biggest thing for me is only one hobby shop around me has xray stuff and i always either have to wait for them to order parts or buy them online and wait....seems like i'm always waiting.... the xb8 is an awsome car and a dream to drive.....i would just like to have an mbx5....be better all around for me....i think they are close as hell on the track....its kinda the old chevy vs ford thing to be honest......but for me if i could get an really good mbx5 i'd swap my xb8 roller for roller.... sorry to ramble....lol....hope this helps ya out some

anybody have a list of XB8 weak parts and the MBX-5 prospec Weak Parts.....

still haven't made up your mind? I don't think anyone can make a list of weak parts on one side of the fence or the other. It's hard to predict what you're going to hit or how you're going to land and hence what you might break.

On one hand you have the XRay which I've seen listed $50 cheaper than the Prospec. It also comes with a nice set of Hudy drivers. I've heard it's also much lighter than it's "tank" counter-part the prospec. But does weight in this case translate into strength? Will the prospec be strong because of it? or slower because of it? Or does speed and power really matter when you're a newbie racer anyway who's mainly concerned about broken parts?

Pros and Cons, man. I can't make the choice for ya. I just saw your thread went cold and figured I'd give ya something to chew on. :)

HAHA I am still in decide mode....I just had to slow down for a bit....I'm in the process of moving and the people in my "new" apt havent left yet so I had to stay at the folks place....AAAAGGGGHHHH....well right now I don't have a place to really wrench my stuff for about 2 months.....but I did get the V-spec and a 063 pipe and a fioroni clutch set (4 post)...I am leaning more toward the prospec but every time I see the X-ray parts they just look soooooo ....HMMMnnnn.....SEXY...yeah the craftsmanship on them looks incredible......I still have my OFNA and I got a PBS kit for it so I'll try this for a while and see whick steering I like better.....I'e already noticed the PBS is not as responsive as the c-hub & knuckle setup.....and those seem to be the major diffs between the Mugen and X-ray......now it seems the deciding factor will be better response or burly.....the MBX-5 seems to be very similar design to the OFNA 9.5 Pro w/ the PBS kit on it.....I get more chassis flex when I pull on the 9.5......but they have a C-n-C chassis I was thinking of getting as well...if I do that I may as well just beat the snot out of my OFNA before geting a new buggy.....I am SOOOOO confoozed....HAHA I just realized I was whining like a BEEOTCH.....OH WOE is me I can't decide w/ 600 dollar toy to get WHAH WHAAAAAH!!!!! LOL....I think I can get through this w/ your help, I don't know what I'd doo....Ok thanks for the info BF.....any other insight would be appreciated as well.....thanks

I got an offer to buy a XB8 w/ a bunch of spare parts from a guuy that races (on the state level anyway) for 400 bucks...I'm gonna take a look see at what condition it's in tomorrow, Uh today....he also makes XS Power battery packs.....http://stores.ebay.com/XS-Powers-Storefront just thought I'd plug the guy for the deal....

After all this I got a XB-8 tonite...$400 well taken care of......2 extra wheel sets.....bright screaming orange lid......fuel filter....2 battery packs.....and some arms and steering knuckles.....instructions and clutch set up as well...

Plaidfish said:
After all this I got a XB-8 tonite...$400 well taken care of......

SCORE! Deals on the track are the best cause you can see in person what you're getting. I don't think there is any shame in running your RG in it. At least you can get around the track until you can afford a $300 mill. Congrats on the deal. :cheers:

I already bought a v-spec for when I start racing.....I just want to be able to tune and drive better before I throw it in.....I got a good deal on it when I brought the mugen back to my LHS....it's sitting on my desk w/ the pipe and Fioroni clutch setup and I bought a prospec solid mount (I was really leaning towards the Mugen) but I'm not sure if it will work well w/ the XB8.....it should but I'm not taking it out of the plastic till I know for sure......but I have everything ready to drop in when it's time.......I started the cleaning process on the XB8 but I need to focus on other stuff for a while so it may be a month before I can run it......AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHH it teases me now.....oh well I should be able to run a buggy w/o having stuff break EVERY TIME I run it.....this weekend the OFNA I trashed the front diff and the servo arm snapped the brake side off cause the servo EP was a little off......slammed a wall when I couldn't stop....front C-hub and steering knuckle I JUST PUT ON before going saturday are already done.......oh well now I can try the PBS stuff that's coming.....I love wrenching.......I think?!?!?!?!

Back