It's here!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not let it cool every ten minutes. There is a lot of debate over the break in subject. You want it to be right around the 200-225 degree mark and keep it there. Id run as many tanks as you can all at once, like 6-8 that way. I have to put a wool sock on mine to get it to stay that warm and that rich. Start by letting it idle and the second tank I start running it around about 1/4 throttle and slowly start giving it more gas as the tanks go by. About tank 4-5 start leaning it out a little bit so it can start opening up some. You want the sleeve to get heated and still have plenty of fuel going through it to flush out the impurities. Takes about a gallon to be completely broken in. Or do yourself a favor and buy a quart of bones brew 30% break in fuel and you are done in 1 quart. And while you are at it ditch that fuel and get some 30% nitro 8-10% oil fuel from him to, you wont regret it. Runs much cooler, more power, easier to tune. Whats not to like.

This is a bad break in method

Hey to each his own. Letting it cool a couple times in the beginning like the article you posted states I can understand. But for 8 straight full tanks, thats way beyond necessary. The one you posted rolex would maybe be 2-3 tanks total. Makes a lot more sense.

And yes that is great fuel. Its what I run. If you feel a little safer with more oil you can always do 30% nitro 10% oil as well.

---------- Post added at 6:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:04 PM ----------

This is a bad break in method

Just wanting to fuel the fire or do you actually have something to add?

i use the heat cycle method its worked great for me with no issues,

from my thunder tiger pro .18 to my now ansmann .28 that I'm finishing breaking in

i have broken 7 engines in using that method ( mine and a friends ) and all motors run great

Well, tomorrow I'm going to start on my 4th tank and push through the rest of the break in. I've not had time to break in this week, been working 12 hours shifts. i get the weekend off to break in this bad boy and run around!

been doing the heat cycle method 25 years.
I have a 20 year old czz.12 never been rebuilt with more then a few gal's on it and still pulls the front wheels up on my old RC10 GT PRO .
I also don't use a temp gun I use water or spit , put a drip on if it jump's right of your lean if it boils of your good .
and I all we's use after run oil if my engine sit's more then two day's with out running.
now I have to go fire the old baby up

haha the ol' spitoon method, if you know your stuff, it works just as good as a temp gun.

I have about 9 tanks through it so far, switched to the 30% Losi nitrotane the last 2 tanks and it is running a little cooler and definitely showing more performance. It's pretty hard keeping the front wheels on the ground. What's a good temperature range to stay around? The last 2 tanks with the 30% fuel it's been running between 215-230. As the fuel level gets lower it definitely leans out a bit, and the temperature jumps up around 240 so I have been tuning it as the fuel level gets lower. Gonna have to fix that.

i ran my 4.6 around 250-270 depending on weather. but at 270 youll be completely fine.

this method does work pretty good though, this is my 5th engine with this break in. i tripped while i was mid throttle on my 6th tank and pulled the trigger big and the truck wheelied in second gear and pressed break too fast and flipped and landed on its wheels... so i strolled along as if i meant to do it!

Got in some goodies thanks to A-Main Hobbies. Was about to order blue RPM A-Arms but felt that the purple would fit an HPI better as many of the other aftermarket parts are purple. The wheelie bar was a must as well, I can't even tell you how many times i have already flipped it and then had to run up the road to flip it back over.

2DC45483-5F04-420A-A855-756C22FE125D_zpsquzlebr8.jpg

6830FD42-6B2E-49B6-AD97-2FE83C23FCAD_zpswiwc3glt.jpg

6C7CEAA2-CA54-42F4-9C64-E67EBBB93BE6_zpskfc4uiur.jpg

961E8578-BBA4-4406-AFCA-07124EAE301A_zpspckyxpk4.jpg

I must say after installing the a-arms.. I feel like it is a little bit easier working on a Traxxas compared to this Savage. Even though it really was not all that tough putting these on, changing things on a Traxxas is a breeze. But I really enjoy working on my trucks.

And just a little video from the 1st tank of it idling. I have about 11 tanks through it now and she is running like a beast. Needs an ERCM exhaust though. :D
th_0B90A3EA-E7A7-478E-9D02-C0977788A5D9_zpsspdstzth.jpg

I dig the purple control arms, Looks real good on that truck.

I love the Savage and it's certainly not hard to work on, but I too thought the T-Maxx felt a little easier to work on.

i think the purple looks better than the blue! I've not seen the purple arms before

I was actually about to order blue until I saw the purple and really fell in love with them. They look amazing in person. And yes WoodiE, the savage isn't hard to work on at all, it's just that traxxas trucks are extremely easy to rip apart and put back together.

Back