Its here!! HPI Mini Recon!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beason

Bash, Fix, Repeat..
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I'm sitting at the dinner table, mid meat loaf bite, and the doorbell goes off. By the time i make it to the door, no one is there. At first i thought i got ding-dong-ditched!!! As I'm turning around to go back in, i notice the silhouette of the UPS truck, and it hits me. I look down, and and there it is!!!!

i ripped it open and took some pics. tossed the battery on the charger, and went to wal-mart...

So far i like the looks. It looks well built, and seems to be tight. I wish it had more ground clearance, but the suspension seems stiff enough to keep it from bottoming out. The tires seem pretty tough, and all around it seems like a good truck. I had one of the first gen MLST's and this one seems to be a far better built rig. I will have to wait until tomorrow to get video of it running.

It also came with a small tool set, charger for the rig pack, and even batts for the TX.

The TX is a 2.4ghz system so no xstals, or interference!!!

That is about all i have for now, so off to the pics

OH and one more thing: Thanks to Mike for this great forum and the chance to will a sweet new rig for free!!:D

2011-11-28182746.gif

2011-11-28182812.gif

2011-11-28182848.gif

2011-11-28183235.gif

2011-11-28183406.gif

2011-11-28183416.gif

2011-11-28183433.gif

2011-11-28183508.gif

looks so cool!!! looks so tiny sitting up on top of that slash!!! Congrats again man!!!

I want one!!! Any update on how it runs, how durable it really is, pros/cons etc.

Has anyone else tried one of these trucks yet? I am thinking of picking one up for boxing day....with that kind of a price for an HPI truck, why wouldn't I!

Finally got mine and broke the motor in and this truck is awesome. I have seen some people having issues with the diffs being loose and i guess i got lucky because I have not had any out of the box issue with mine. knock on wood.

My rear diff was loose, Shocks keep coming apart, on tire is coming apart in the middle....other than that its a great little rig,i just can't seem to figure out why the replacement parts are so high, the adjustable turn buckles are 30 bucks...and they do offer two different "performance packs" for them now so thats a plus i guess I'm not sure exactly what is in both of them.

http://www.rcplanet.com/HPI_Racing_Mini_Recon_Performance_Pack_Two_p/hpi101547.htm

http://www.rcplanet.com/HPI_Racing_Mini_Recon_Performance_Pack_One_p/hpi101546.htm

Looks like the 1st pack has wheels,tires, aluminum shocks and gearing.......looks like they knew they were going to have problems with these parts and instead of working them out before they launched the new truck they will bleed us for money on upgraded parts.......LOL

Last edited:
Could you take a photo of it next to your remote? Would just like to see it for a size reference... I didn't know I wanted one until this thread. lol

I sold it already to a member that wanted it for his kid for xmas. Its about the same size as the mlst, maybe a little bigger.

Here's a few pics of it to try and compare size. The laptop its on is a 16 inch. The whiskey bottle is well umm a decent size one lol.:D:D

Last edited:
Now in these two pics you will see the issue I have. The turnbuckles being non adjustable I can't fix it but one front wheel kicks way out away from the other. and in the rear both tires toe in a little bit but some how the truck manages to go pretty straight.

Last edited:
I have the same problems with mine.......the only way we can fix it is order the adjustable turnbuckles for a 1/3 of what we paid for the truck.

Yup I know I will get them some time in January. Almost makes you think HPI did it on purpose. lol

on my micro sct's from losi I accidently put my turnbuckles on and screwd it on the upper part of the steering bellcrank and it gave me the same problem... I dont know if these are setup similar but I figured it was worth trying... try to reatatch the turnbuckles on opposite side of where it is screwd in now if that will work on that rig like it did on mine.. Hope you can understand what I mean ...

I thought about doing that tank but i think unfortunetly it would make the other wheel on the front point out and then in the back make them toe out instead of in but I may try it just to see. I'm tearing into my mini summit today, so when I try swapping them out I will let you guys know if it helps. Also anyone know of any heat sinks that fit the little motor? I believe the motor is only 1 inch in diameter and most heatsinks I find are no where near that size. And I surprisingly got about 35 minutes of run time just going back and fourth speed runs on my street, but I found a battery at cheapbatterypacks.com that is for the recon that is suppose to have decent run time and is almost half the price of the HPI one that comes with the truck.

Back