it's all about FUN

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitro dave

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey-
Just want to share a story with you all about my time at the track this Saturday. I ended up taking three 6th grade boys with me, which could have ended up in disaster. The boys all had ruslters, which are notorious poor handling vehicles. The track is tight, I thought, this is going to be interesting.

We get there, and they light up with excitement. They all start running around looking/pointing/ohhing and ahhing at the nitro vehicles already buzzing around the track. I tell them about frequency clips and the track rules. They all need some help with their vehicles to get them running. Two of the rustys are electric, and one is nitro. I know jack about electrics, so some guys help the two with the electrics. I help get the nitro started and tuned. One kid melted his connectors together, and some guy helped him convert his batteries and charger to dean plugs.

We finally got all the vehicles running, including mine. The three kids couldn't drive for crap, and it didn't matter. The kid with the nitro rusty had the wrond tires, wrong truck, too much engine, but none of that mattered. They all learned alot about their vehicles, about the hobby and had a complete blast doing it. It made me remember that this hobby is all about FUN.

It was a real kick to be able to help some kids learn, to watch them have an absolute blast. I got almost no run time in, but in the end, it didn't matter.

sounds good. It is always nice to be able to help someone else especially when they appreciate it. I bet those kids are hooked for life.:banana: i sure do like that little dancin banana

lol ::banana:

okay anyways, thats cool dave

i am still that kid but there were no daves around to help?! so i just made due with my skills (none)

***Edit from FastEddy due to excessive use of smileys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good story. Good job ND!!

I forgot to mention that my 4 year old daughter loves to drive my T Maxx.

Last edited:
My Children (boys) are 9 and 12. I usually run the first tan to tank and a half to tune, warm up, and get things set. From then on the controller switches from one to the other. One runs a tank, then they switch.

After times is up, if it's not broke, I run the last tank. All the while we share ooh's and ahh's, and "Wow, it didn't break". It amazes me at such a young age, how well they can drive, and how quick they learn about fuel mixtures, and mechanics.

This is the one thing that we do together. I Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Now, when they're gone, and I sneak it out to get a tank or two in, that's a fun all I itself. When they come home, and see the front tires pointing in opposite directions, and parts all over the counter. They look at me all parental like. I make a smirk type of a smile like a kid caught in the cookie jar, their faces widen to a smile in complete understanding. The next words are "How much air did you get, wow what did you hit"

That's pretty cool you took the time to help those guys out, and show 'em a good time. They'll never forget that day at the track.

I'm just curious, what made you decide to take those kids out. Did they meet you somewhere and need help, a mentor program, etc? That was cool as hell of you and a damn respectable thing to do.

One kid goes to the church I work at, he is always talking to me about RC stuff. The other two were his friends.

Thats cool. I wish i had a nitro dave over here. I got mjime tho, hes way cool

Great story man. For me when i went to the track the last time I broke everything my savage wouldn't run right and some annoying kid kept wanting to wrench on my trucks. Out of 8hrs of being there I think I got about a half hour of run time in and I still had a blast and helped a couple of noobs tune their rides it was a great time.

NIce Story,

I love to teach the youngins the ropes when I get a chance but damn it can be expensive. Live and learn

Peace

Great story. I get onlookers, but very few people actually in the hobby live in my neighborhood. Guess I need to get out more.
:D

You are the community scoutmaster! RC should be a scout badge with cars and lightning bolts.

Excellent story, Dave. Was that Tacoma RC Raceway by-the-way?

yeah it was tacoma RC raceway.

Back