Is my Engine Junked?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aml48

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I was having all kind of air leak issues and I went to the Hobby shop to buy some silicone and new O rings.

I take the motor out of my Savage and I notice a fin from my Engine heat sink, Not the motor head. Upon removal of the head I found that one of the screw was broken flush with the engine block :depress:

I decided to make a nice silicone seal and then put it back together.

Think it will work with 3 screws?

I think with a little bit of effort you can get that 4th screw out. I would suspect the head will leak like crazy with 3 screws and I think the silicone would probably do more harm than good on the head. I would try to get the rest of that other screw out and as long as you don't trash the block in the process, you should be able to rebuild just fine.

The 4th screw is broken flush with head! I think it is junked.

they make reverse drill bits that could prob take that out. I'd look into that before trashing the mill. If you don't want to do that send it my way. I'll pay you for the shipping. PM me if your interested.

Cut the engine head off near the screw with a dremel. Who cares if you ruin that cuz you can pick those up at ebay cheap. Just dont cut into the block. Then like wbat VB said...get a reverse drill bit and back it out.

is it flush with head or block?? if its head then remove head and grab whats left of the screw with some plyers.. and twist it out.. wasn't there a thread on this recently??

It is flush with the block! The head is OFF and there is not enough material sticking out to grab on with.

I know they make reverse bits but this is really small, and stuck in really tight. It would break the bit too!

Well, you could always use this old trick. Find a junk allen wrench that you don't care about keeping. find a drill bit that's the same size as it or a tiny bit bigger. Make sure both are comforably smaller than the diameter of the broken bolt. Now here comes the brain surgery part. Drill a hole in the broken bolt right near the middle without running out to the threads. Then JB Weld the allen wrench into the hole. let the weld dry and see if you can back it out that way.

That just sounds like a lot of work! The shame of it is, that I only have about a gallon through this motor.

Well if you're not willing to try any of this stuff, you might as well buy a new engine...

cvec7 said:
Well if you're not willing to try any of this stuff, you might as well buy a new engine...
No doubt. ya must have money to blow, or dont know what a new mill costs. Once ya see what a good competeive mill runs, I'm sure youll want to try some tricks to get the screw out. Maybe try heating it up and then using a reverse bit. Or else just spend at least $200 and get a new mill... :rolleyes:

hey send it to me or give it away dont just throw it away shoot i can fix it or some one else, jsut cuz you are to lazy to try and get it out doesn't mean others wouldnt try.

If you got a bolt that broke up on your car (1:1) would you get a new engine for that one too? Or go buy a whole complete brand new car? Probably not. If you didnt feel like getting your hands dirty, then youd bring it to a shop. In this case if you dont want to get your hands dirty, bring it in to your LHS and theyll fix it. Also if you dont want to get to dirty and do the labor, Then ya might want to switch to electric. I'm not trying to be a butthead, I'm just saying in nitro theres alot of maintnance a person has to do, and not all of it is easy.

I'd try a tap and di. Just drill it and re-thread it.

It sounds to me like this dude has never had to deal with a broken bolt in ANYTHING before... :shrug:

Listen, go down to Sears, I'm sure you have one, and pick up the PN 52155 Drill Out Micro Extractor set.

It will save your ass in the R/C world. I've used it so many times to remove the soft OE screws in decks, engines, you name it...

Here's a pic:

00952155000-dlv.jpg

And here's the link right to the Sear's page on it. Best $30 you'll ever spend in tools...

Sear's Drill Out Set

Dude I have! I fixed it with my dremel and a slotted screw driver.

I guess I sould have posted pictures to show the frustration I was having. I did not have much material to work with.

Glad you got it fixed, but a Dremel can damage sealing surfaces, the drill out won't. I'd still get one, for "next time"... :D

RIght! I own a 1942 WW2 Army jeep, and beileve me I know what drill outs are!!!! I just didn't think that they made them really small. Besides I broke a drill out, drilling out a engine stud in my jeep and then I had to have the engine block removed and then repaired by the pro's. I don't like doing it

Back