Increased security on R/C cars by TSA

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
The Transportation Security Administration announced on Oct. 1, 2007 that they will be increasing security at airports on remote controlled cars. One thing that’s prompted this announcement was due to a posting this summer of a YouTube video explaining in Arabic how to detonate a bomb with a remote-controlled car. The video which has since been removed was narrated by a University of South Florida graduate student who was...

Click to Continue

Wow. Some people in this world are just sick in the head. I guess these are the times we now live in, and it is something we all must deal with. It is a shame that some people can turn a positive activity such as RC and turn into something terror relatate. It is truly a shame.

Tom

The big picture unfortunately is simple. Where there's a will, there's a way. Airplanes into buildings. Train bombs. Busses. Now RC cars. RC airplanes. There will be something next. But it's good at least to get a head's up if we are planning on transporting our gear. Better to steer clear than to have DHS and vbgagnon knocking down your door.

I heard this on the news last night.
Its just as easy to use a cellphone.
Whats next?

Ill have to say, I do feel comfortable flying and understand that they are doing what they can.
Always a huge controversy on this subject but at least its a lot safer and not run by the military..... Yet.

Being an active pilot - and after having worked on and around airports - I feel triggered to say that the freedom's Americans are forced to give up because of so few idiots is almost unreal.

On our airports the rule was always that the FBO decided if or if not to allow operation of radio-controlled equippment.

A fact is that never ever in the history of Aviation did a terror attack originate at a General Aviation Airport. To suggest this is as absurd and sick as to state that the delays our major airlines experienece are caused by General Aviation.

I guess it's down to whatever moves the masses - the more spectacular it is displayed - the more press it gets - which in turn seems to trigger our government to put a lid on it.

For years our airport in Germany has been a yearly competition ground for local pilots, racers and hobbyists. We invited them to show their stuff so RC's would have advertising and to support this hobby. 2003 we had to stop.

Now it's here - sad :(

***EDIT***, now I'll have troubles because I allways carry a r/c car in my long trips, that's good to know, but this is bad news as I was planning to get mi crawler in my next trip to Michigan, I hope that nothing happen if I put it in my lugage, I never carry it in my hand bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even those little tiny ass micro buggers are not allowed, I mean those little Zip Zap or what ever the hell they are called.

The only question here is, how long before they outlaw R/C in general? I mean, right now, I can understand the ban at an airport, but say you're out in the middle of a field flying a plane.... Or in the middle of a parking lot toolin around with an NTC3? Imagine what DHS would call a racing event.....

Next stop; Gitmo, R/C division.

Whats' next, background checks on anyone who wants to purchase a Tyco for their son?

Disclaimer; I'm all for restricting some liberties when it comes to safety of the masses, but only, repeat; only, within reason. An overly paranoid government is a dangerous thing to freedom.

He who sacirfices liberty for safety shall have neither. That being said, the unfortunate situation calls for the current actions being taken. If you love your hobby, the extra time in the airports is something you should be able to do with a smile on your face. Who knows, maybe you can get a TSA worker excited about our hobby.

Due to 1/1000th of 1% of the population being fanatical or just plain nuts, Americans are losing more and more freedom.
I have photos on my bulletin board taken INSIDE the Statue of Liberty, and photos shot through the windows in her crown. Those days are also gone. There's now a glass ceiling in the base that only allows you to LOOK inside, not go up and really appreciate the structure designed by the same man that engineered the Eiffel Tower.
Imagine that. The Statue of Liberty, the VERY symbol of this country's freedom, is now off limits to the people who make America great, thanks to a few sick and brainwashed mental midgets.
Sad indeed, and it will only get worse. Be prepared to lose more and more freedom as time goes on.

Ben Franklin

He who sacirfices liberty for safety shall have neither.

"Those who would give up ESSENTIAL LIBERTY to purchase a little TEMPORARY SAFETY, deserve neither LIBERTY nor SAFETY"

This is the actual quote above....many variants of old Bens wisdom have come from it...yours included....not meant to make light of you having it in your heart....the contrary ...good to see another man of liberty standing up.

WE walk a careful line here...think of this...who is winning if we are changeing our ways and habits? Watering down our liberties at every turn.....and ask yourself...who benifits most from that??

I believe in saftey....I also believe in swift and complete justice for those resposible for harm to any and all Americas...Swift and Complete and Just. (read: kill them all....kill them now....we know where thay are.)

Not this nonsense going on in the deserts of Iraq for oil.

End Rant........

TalonOne

Out

Back