In the final stretch of a kit build...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ariel A.

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hay guys,

I'm fairly new to the forum and also to building kits. I'm about done building my TLR 22X-4 and in the process of gluing the tires. My question is; How necessary is it to punch holes in the tires when the wheels already have two out of the box???

20230108_153254.jpg

Nice 22 X 4. Just finished building my AE B74.1D from my birthday. With punching holes in the tires I don't think it is necessary. To punch holes in the tires. I am guessing that is for more ventilation. Yea I don't think it is necessary. I had seen with large scale bashers do that. Since this is a racer you don't need to cover the wheel vent holes but if you go through water with any rc tape up the vent holes to prevent water,sand/dirt into the tires.

It's really a matter of preference, holes need to be either in the wheels OR the tires, and not uncommon for drivers to put them in both. Really good video here explaining the options:

If your TLR came with wheels I am surprised. My B74 didn't come with wheels so I got them separately.

Welcome to the forum!

My son has an associated B6.4, (2wd) we run the j concepts wheels and Schumacher tires. Out wheels out vented and tires are not. Never had any issues, and was never recommended that we punch holes in the tires.
I added boost using the program card, before I learned stock buggies are not supposed to, and the tires ballooned like crazy!!
I’m not an expert in this department, but in my experience I think you should be good to go

If your TLR came with wheels I am surprised. My B74 didn't come with wheels so I got them separately.
Yes, it come with wheels which surprised me as well. But no complaints. Something less to purchase.

As a general practice, I vent all the tires I glue. Two holes, opposite each other on the tire. One near the outside of the tread; the other near the inside. I do that so centrifugal force generated by tire rotation tends to fling any accumulate water or moisture out during a run.

With pre-glued/pre-mounted the option is not there and have to rely on (hopefully) holes on the inside of the wheel provided by the manu.

My AKA tire punch tool is set for a 2.0mm hole. Using it provides a clean hole that does not close up on itself like using a nail or drill bit does.

Good luck. Hope this helps. 'AC'

As a general practice, I vent all the tires I glue. Two holes, opposite each other on the tire. One near the outside of the tread; the other near the inside. I do that so centrifugal force generated by tire rotation tends to fling any accumulate water or moisture out during a run.

With pre-glued/pre-mounted the option is not there and have to rely on (hopefully) holes on the inside of the wheel provided by the manu.

My AKA tire punch tool is set for a 2.0mm hole. Using it provides a clean hole that does not close up on itself like using a nail or drill bit does.

Good luck. Hope this helps. 'AC'
I assume you’re running dirt, or turf?? Do you then tape the holes in the wheels?

Hey, Mtb. On-road and off-road both. I leave the wheel holes open. Been my experience dismounting tires without venting that the inserts are completely shot. Moisture rotted. They crumble in the hand. Vented tires/wheels, the inserts fare better. Some even suitable for re-use.

Thanks for the question. Hope this answers the mail. Cheers. 'AC'

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your quick response and you help.