I'm Outta Here.....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wind was supposed to pick up to 20 mph. If you've ever been on a lake the size of Lake of the Woods, you know that results in 3-4 foot rollers. Not fun. We headed out early and got off before it got bad.

Here's the boats we used. The first is an 18 ft bass boat with a Suzuki 115 hp motor. We've put it through hell. It's gone places it shouldn't have. While wearing your big boy pants. It'll do 40-45 on smooth water. It's nuts when it's bad.

20240518_151832.jpg

The second boat is the newest addition. 18 ft Crestliner with a 115 Johnson. Deep and wide. It handles those waves better. And many times the smaller boat rides in it's wake to get out to spots it can't normally get to.

20240518_173524.jpg

Them are some awesome tasting wallies and perch.
I say, eat the perch & feed the cats hot dogs! :)

Heres what boat I use. This one isn't mine but mine is identical.
I have a trolling motor and fish finder on it.
I used to have several boats but it's too much on my lungs to walk up to my truck.
Now I drop it off, set it up and the wife stays with the truck.

colorado-xt-pontoon-400x225.jpg

Made it home last night. Another successful trip. Lot of fun. Nobody fell in, and the boats gave it their all. We've had issues in the past. Puts a damper on things. The weather was decent but, that worked against us. The early thaw changed everything. Always caught them in the shallows. 5-10 feet. The spawn was over and the walleye had headed to deeper parts of the lake. Chasing the emerald shiners. What was a 7-10 mile run in the boats, turned into 20 mile runs. Trying to get to 25-30 feet. Lot more gas spent. Non-Oxy isn't cheap. Every year we learn something new.

Unfortunately, my favorite walleye rod broke. Just snapped while setting the hook on a 16"er. Still baffled. Grabbed the line and pulled it in by hand. I have 3 rods just for this trip. All by the same manufacturer. Light, medium and heavy. Not cheap either. Now I have to see if there's a warranty or replacement. Because I really like these.

Sorry I didn't take pics of the scenery. It can be beautiful at times. I won't take my expensive gear out in the boat and only take my cellphone out for emergencies. Hard enough to keep my old butt in the boat. Lol.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and good lucks. Already looking forward to next year.

Heres what boat I use. This one isn't mine but mine is identical.
I have a trolling motor and fish finder on it.
I used to have several boats but it's too much on my lungs to walk up to my truck.
Now I drop it off, set it up and the wife stays with the truck.

View attachment 190436

I've thought about one like that. Just for myself. Everybody loves those kayaks but, I know how that will end.

Last edited:
Bummer about breaking the rod. Hopefully they replace it.

Glad you had a good trip, sometimes a getaway is just what the doctor ordered. :thumbs-up:

Thanks. I needed it. Wasn't long enough. Lol.

I drive for a living. A lot of hours behind the wheel to make this happen. Luckily the others understand. They know I can and will drive if needed but, prefer not to. Got into the company truck this morning. Stopped at the 4 way stop a half mile from my place. Almost got creamed by an idiot that completely ignored it. Welcome home!

My work commute is only 15 minutes, and I thank my lucky stars every time I make it home in one piece. I don't know what happened but the idiots and aholes out number us by far too many.

I miss common sense and courtesy. Everyone acts like driving a freaking jousting tournament these days. I tell our delivery drivers all the time, I don't know how they do it.

Thanks. I needed it. Wasn't long enough. Lol.

I drive for a living. A lot of hours behind the wheel to make this happen. Luckily the others understand. They know I can and will drive if needed but, prefer not to. Got into the company truck this morning. Stopped at the 4 way stop a half mile from my place. Almost got creamed by an idiot that completely ignored it. Welcome home!

Glad you guys had fun Rowdy. I really miss fishing. I used to go fishing on the Wabash river here all the time. Only for channel cat though. Another spot I went with a buddy had really nice Walleye hiding in the rapids. We used to get out there after DJ'ing at the bars and we'd stay there til morning catching catfish. When the Walleye started hitting, we'd switch gear. Good times.

Bummer about breaking the rod. Hopefully they replace it.

Nope. Only a 1 year warranty. Think I'm going to upgrade.

I've been a Shakespeare fan for years. It's middle of the road and affordable. Wild series. Specifically for walleye. They don't make that line anymore. The new line is 90.00 a rod. But....think they felt bad. Offered me a Fenwick Eagle with the same specs for 55.00. And shipped free. I just looked at those yesterday at Joe's, a sporting goods store. On sale for 80.00. Normally 100.00. Fenwick trumps Shakespeare any day. And, they have a 5 year warranty.

Glad you guys had fun Rowdy. I really miss fishing. I used to go fishing on the Wabash river here all the time. Only for channel cat though. Another spot I went with a buddy had really nice Walleye hiding in the rapids. We used to get out there after DJ'ing at the bars and we'd stay there til morning catching catfish. When the Walleye started hitting, we'd switch gear. Good times.

It's always fun, even if we don't catch fish. New adventures...new stories to tell. And the cut throat cribbage in the evening while having too many wobbly pops....... ;)

All of my ultralights are Shakespeare Ugly Sticks and my Bass and Catfish rods are Okuma.

Back