I want a BIG BLOCK

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad55102

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
t-maxx 2.5, i want to put a big block in it but the o.s. is too expensive. WHat would you recommend for around $150. Also i would like a drop in engine. Next what do i need to upgrade on my 2.5 to handle the extra power. What will happen if i do not upgrade these parts? thanks

is it a 2.5 or a 2.5R? your in luck if it's the 2.5R. the trans. is way stronger and all around better. as far as the drop in moter you can trade in your 2.5 to a 3.3 thew a hobbie shop that deals with traxas and has a moter there at the shop. or look on Amain hobbies for more choises. the 3.3 is strong and runs great, but rember the more power you add the more you have to up grade.

If you go from a 2.5 (.15) to a 3.3 (.20) You need to upgrage the drivelines and sooner or later the tranny. Also the yolks that hold the drive lines will need upgraded to fit the 3.3 ones. It will be fun if you go to a BB, you would probabley need a longer chassie to fit one in. But you can get a good .21 mid block.

I have had the OS 21tm in my Old classic .15 Tmaxx and knock on wood, I have not had any drive line issue's. I Love the power, but i want a truck that will handle the power into a corner

I have picco .26max midblock/bigblock in my 3.3 maxx, but all my shafts are CVD's and I have the 3.3 trans. This is pretty much the determining factor of what it will cost you, what model you have now. The picco is an INSANE motor. It has TONS of power and acceleration and is fairly easy to tune and is much cheaper than the OS .21tm. But I will say you will probably at least need the tranny CVD's

I have picco .26max midblock/bigblock in my 3.3 maxx, but all my shafts are CVD's and I have the 3.3 trans. This is pretty much the determining factor of what it will cost you, what model you have now. The picco is an INSANE motor. It has TONS of power and acceleration and is fairly easy to tune and is much cheaper than the OS .21tm. But I will say you will probably at least need the tranny CVD's

I also have the Picco .26Max (Red Dot) motor in my 3.3 maxx and I'd agree with his statement.

There aren't any "drop-in" mid/big blocks for under $200, I searched high and low for one. There are cheaper big blocks but they won't "drop in".

I have already beefed up my driveline so I'm not sweating that. I'd say of all the drive line components, the stock diff cups are the weakest link, followed by the center shafts. If you're on a budget you can get away with only beefing up the rear diff and center shaft, the front doesn't take much of a beating.

Here's what I'm running in my driveline.

Stock clutch with shoes in the leading position
Stock 3.3 trans with reverse
Custom made SS center dogbones with UE cups (tried Traxxas CVDs, wore out & lost the pin = gone)
FLM alum diff cups F&R
Traxxas CVD axle shafts (I think you could get away with the 3.3 plastic axle shafts)

So far it's holding up well. The weakest link is now the tranny. I know a whole bunch of people will say go FOC, but I like my reverse so it's staying there. If I strip gears in the transmission I'll deal with that or back off on the slipper. I think the thing that kills the driveline is landing from jumps with the throttle on. Avoid that and you will go a long ways to keeping things intact.

Just remember, you're going to spend more to build your truck to handle the power of a big block and buy the motor than the cost of a brand new Savage. I have had a maxx and a Savage. I was getting ready to do a big block build on my maxx, and was already ordering parts, when I realized that I could build a Savage X SS for less money and have twice the truck. It's a true 8th scale big block truck, and it indestructable. The Maxx is a cool truck, and I'm getting raedy to do a big block build. But, it's mainly going to be a shelf queen and I'm not concerned with the money it's going to cost. If you're not trying to spend a lot of money and want a truck that you have to work really hard to tear up right out of the box, with TONS of power, then consider buying a Savage. With the $150 big block, $100 tranny, and $100 worth of CVD's, you're already up to $350 and will still have some parts to buy. I gave $360 shipped for my brand new Savage X SS.

i put the sirio s27re in my revo 2.5. and i now have a gallon on it and all i have done is a FOC and rrp spur gear. I'm amazed it held up. but the local track is loose dirt kinda low frition. wheelies on command total monster i would reccomend it and it drops right in just get urself a sweet pipe. but i spent insane money on my t maxx to big block it not worth it at all. its sweet now but I've done so much with it i dont even wanna drive it. hasnt even been broken in.

Back