I think I may have made a mistake...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AC48

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
...by dropping an .18TZ in my RS4 3 EVO+.

I read a review on this engine saying it was dynoed at 2.28 horse power, and that this engine has more power and torque than a lot of big blocks, and I had to have it. I've never driven a 1/10 onroad with a big block, but I would imagine it to be something like driving one with the .18TZ. I installed it with a HPI racing clutch, and the acceleration is unreal. I have not hit more than half throttle, as I only have 3 tanks through it so far, but it has already vastly surpassed the level of power that the stock .18 has. I can get all 4 tires spinning out of control with only half throttle, with rich settings. I've had a lot of powerful engines in my day, but this one has me really impressed.

I did break the pullstart once, just ripped the string through the handle, because the engine is really tight. But once I got it going the first time its been very easy to start. I just hope it doesn't tear apart my EVO from the inside out. Sure is fun as hell to drive tho...

If anyone is looking for a crap load of power in their 1/10 touring car, or anthing 1/10 really, the .18TZ is what you are looking for. Its even cheap too...I got it for less than $140 on tower.

This is my first O.S. engine, and if the .21VZ-B is anything like this engine, I'd love to try dropping it in my dad's MP777 SP-1.

And a quick question...anyone know what the best set up is to get the most traction I can for driving in a parking lot? I'm going to need all the traction I can get...

sounds like fun.keep an eye on the center shafts if they are stock,the back will bend and break real easy,other than that you have all the hardend gears in the diffs so you should be ok there. the stock bones might not take much more of that power,some place on ebay sells hotbodies complete shaft sets for these cars 2 center 4 corners. They have worked good for me. Sounds like I want one of these mills for my ss. thanks for the info.

Yea I'm gonna keep an eye on the drivetrain...and upgrade or replace when they break. I took the car to a parking lot...and the power was much more useable...I can hit top speed in just a few seconds...with the stock gearing that is. I kept the bottom quite rich so that it wouldn't spin out as soon as I got on the throttle.

Try 35 shore foam tires, your rears will require an offset wheel.

The parking lot is kinda rough...like some spots of sand and pebbles, wouldn't that tear up foams?

I've got the .18CV-R in my RS4 and have the same problem finding traction on blacktop. I use rubber tires that I think are made by dynomite. They are slicks preglued on rims and are very cheap. I stilll slip a lot but its worked better then anything else I've tried before.

heres the link http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYN7953

either try foams like rob said, or try some takeoff cs-27 premounted rubber tires. available from any shumacher dealer.

Try to find a better area to run on and get some foams they will really help out in the traction handling department. I put a .18 TZ in my R-40 and I really like the boost in performance I get from this new motor.

I liked the .18 tz in my R-40 sooooooo much I decided to try one in a V-1RRR.

I put a JP R03 team edition engine in a Kyosho RRR and it went 100.0 mph. Here is a vid of it doing 94 with an OS.18 in

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the 2nd gear pinion/spur gearing?

Back