I searched and nothing...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooked on 240

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
This has got to be the most talked about thing when working on your RC car/truck anything.

Stripped screws, yup i said it. how the f do you get them out. I'm working on a HPI RS4-2 right now and 4 are stripped \''''/ <--- those. the ones that you can't get to unless its un screwed. At the moment i dont have the extra money to buy a screw head fixer.. (what ever there called) the ones where you put on a drill, then the first tip makes a cone then the 2nd 2nd extracts the screw.

After this expirence I'm not using alan screws anymore.

Sorry for such a newblet post. but I've seriously never had one of the \''''/ strip.

You should use a dremel to cut a groove in the screw then unscrew it with a flathead driver.

If you have a good set of hex drivers you shouldn't be getting stripped screws. If you're using alan keys, that's your problem.

there both the same to me. lol. yes I'm using "hex" drivers... illl see if i can grab the dremel from my dad tommrow.

if that do`nt work use a small drill bit and drill out just the head, then once all 4 are drilled out use a pair of small vise grips to grab what`s sticking out and back them out.

yep, the dremel is your friend.. like stated you can cut a slot in it with one of the cut off wheels and then use a flat blade. if its to deep to get the dremel into you can take a small drill bit and drill the head until it pops off. you should then be able to remove whatever part the screw was holding, then you will have a nub of threaded shaft left that you can grab with some vise grips or something and twist it out. I have also heard of people using jbweld and welding a hex driver to the screw. let it harden and then back it out. I've never tried that way.

This has got to be the most talked about thing when working on your RC car/truck anything.

Stripped screws, yup i said it. how the f do you get them out. I'm working on a HPI RS4-2 right now and 4 are stripped \''''/ <--- those. the ones that you can't get to unless its un screwed. At the moment i dont have the extra money to buy a screw head fixer.. (what ever there called) the ones where you put on a drill, then the first tip makes a cone then the 2nd 2nd extracts the screw.

After this expirence I'm not using alan screws anymore.

Sorry for such a newblet post. but I've seriously never had one of the \''''/ strip.

All the above advice is great. Keep in mind BTW, that in my experience flat heads and phillips heads tend to strip way faster than an allen head. Have you always owned the car, or was it second hand? If it was second hand it could just be a case of previous owner impatience, or using the wrong size allen wrench to install or remove them. Also please tell me these allen heads aren't on the bottom side of the chassis where they could touch the ground when the car bottoms out.

Another thing, you might be using a metric set when the screws are SAE or vice versa.

All the above advice is great. Keep in mind BTW, that in my experience flat heads and phillips heads tend to strip way faster than an allen head. Have you always owned the car, or was it second hand? If it was second hand it could just be a case of previous owner impatience, or using the wrong size allen wrench to install or remove them. Also please tell me these allen heads aren't on the bottom side of the chassis where they could touch the ground when the car bottoms out.

ya they are. there the 4 that hold the tranny in. I bought it off my friend like this last year. and the only thing I've done is rebuild the whole front end after my accident, and swap motors.

ill grab the dremel in the morning.

ya they are. there the 4 that hold the tranny in. I bought it off my friend like this last year. and the only thing I've done is rebuild the whole front end after my accident, and swap motors.

ill grab the dremel in the morning.

Yeah they are what? On the bottom of the car facing the ground? If so ditch them and replace with phillips heads for anything under the car. Allen heads everywhere else are nice though. You can generally put more torque on an allen with less chance of stripping them, especially since many of the screws on RC stuff tend to be in hard to get at places.

Money spent on a good set of allen wrenches is well worth the time and frustration spent on stipped items.

Back