I have never seen this one before - boot scanner.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Error401

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
You're probably going "WFT?" but this actually happened a few minutes ago. I was trying to reinstall my Canon 620U scanner on my laptop, it used to be hooked up via the docking station, but I plugged it into a USB port for the moment. Well, first off it wanted to install the drivers again (even though they had been installed when it was on the DS). I usually keep most of my drivers in a file archive on the HD, and I found the install exe, ran it (which just extracted the driver files to a directory), went to the device manager and said reinstall driver. I point it to the specific driver in the extracted directory, select the correct and digitally signed driver, and it starts copying a bunch of files. Fine, things are looking good, until it finishes and says that there was some cryptic problem and the drivers were not in fact loaded, and won't be. So there I am, big yellow tag on my scanner in the device manager and no way to scan stuff. And here's where it gets just down right retarded (MS XP that is). I go to uninstall it via the DM, it chugs a bit then spits this at me:

bootscanner.jpg

I think it's time to FDISK this thing and start over. Rule number 1, never take poop off a machine.

Dude that sucks maybe you have to boot up the computer. lol

Yeah, I'll print out the code for the OS, and feed the printouts into the scanner whenever I want to boot the laptop. MS sux.

Dude, maybe if you lean out the HSN a little ...... :jk:

what was the cryptic error, a little more details i might can help? I would not go as far to Fdisk yet, unless you want to just clean your system out. Also it is not advised that you remove a hardware device untill you remove the software first.

Look at the screenshot again. The device I was trying to remove (the software and drivers) was a canon flatbed scanner (an imaging device). I'm an MCP and have been a hardware tech for over 3.5 years, and I have never seen this level of goofiness in an OS. Trust me, fdisk is in order here. The OS is XP Pro and it's about a year old with a ton of stuff I've installed (no gator & such). It's just gotten senile and needs to be put down.

Wadda about a program running in the startup for the scanner like Paper Port? Maybe if you do a msconfig, and take any programs out of startup that are looking for the scanner than maybe it can be removed. That is wierd one fo sho! I have never run into a scanner I could not just remove, software first or hardware first didn't matter.

added........Also you have tried removing the hardware in SM right?

Easy fix. Just turn off computer with scanner plugged in and reboot. IF it is not in system it should give you the option to install new device driver.

Guys, I really appreciate the help, but the OS is getting long in the tooth and I'm planning on formatting it anyway. I just thought that you all would get a kick out of MS's goofyness. I usually redo my systems at least once or twice a year and I'd rather just get a fresh load on it instead of trying to straighten out this install.

There are a ton of utilities and programs that I installed on it, and most I don't use anyway and are just cluttering up the registry. Also, there are alot of programs that were installed with the original OS from Sony that I really don't want anyway. Since Sony is so tight with their drivers and utilities (can't download them at all), I plan on using System Suite 4.0 to package the ones I need/want and doing a bare bones install of the OS. I have done this on my Dad's Sony laptop with very good results, so it's not new to me.

Again, thanks for the suggestions and I only posted this thread for entertainment purposes only.

Whitt....

Back